Cryptic food and drink

I'm friends with a guy from Birmingham, U.K., we worked together 30 plus years ago and are still in touch today. We both did the press cryptic crossword every morning. He was very good and taught me a few things to look for. The lbw threw me, and I played cricket so I know the terms. I havnt done cryptic in 20 years but I'm mildly interested again. :)

Russ

Just to explain my previous clue for anyone interested in learning the mechanics. The clue was:

Sheep's head in oven - naughty game! (7)

The answer is 'venison'. The definition of the answer is 'game'. So you look for a type of game - as this is cryptic food & drink, that must mean food. The word 'naughty' indicates its an anagram. From then on its a fairly simple anagram. The letter 'S' ( sheep's head - the first letter of sheep) and the letters from 'in' and 'oven' are arranged to produce 'venison'.

Got it.

What I didnt get from the previous one was
'you hear' does that have something to do with 'a' replaced with 'er'

Got it.

What I didnt get from the previous one was
'you hear' does that have something to do with 'a' replaced with 'er'
In cryptic clues when you see the term 'you hear" or similar phrases you know you are dealing with a homophone or a homonym. So the clue may point towards 'reign' but the answer is rein which sounds like reign. Or place and plaice, or even conger and conga.

In cryptic clues when you see the term 'you hear" or similar phrases you know you are dealing with a homophone or a homonym. So the clue may point towards 'reign' but the answer is rein which sounds like reign. Or place and plaice, or even conger and conga.
Gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

Back
Top Bottom