Cryptic food and drink

Today's Azed crossword in The Observer was remarkably easy. There were lots of very straightforward words as answers. Usually, you have to check most of them in Chambers. Perhaps the old boy is going soft.

Lettuce goes through remarkable change after dropping a note and adding fish to it's tail. (10)

Lettuce goes through remarkable change after dropping a note and adding fish to it's tail. (10)

Struggling here to understand what the definition is in this clue. I can't think of any lettuces with 10 letters except butterhead which doesn't fit rest of clue, so...

Which one did you get - mine or Wyshiepoo's one above?

Correct. I'm not very good at setting these sort of things I'm afraid.

Well I reckon your clue is probably fine. I solved it after all! I'm never sure if the definition has to be 'clear cut' in terms of it being mentioned in the clue. I'm sure @duck can advise.

OK - it must be:

Cuttlefish

Maybe it doesn't need the definition? I'm not an expert on clue setting - Duck59 is the guru.
Guru? Hmm.

For the purposes of clues here, there is no need for a definition as the common theme is food and drink. It doesn't really matter, though, as it's all very much freeform and as long as clues conform to a rather loose set of rules, then that's fine.

Guru? Hmm.

For the purposes of clues here, there is no need for a definition as the common theme is food and drink. It doesn't really matter, though, as it's all very much freeform and as long as clues conform to a rather loose set of rules, then that's fine.

I sort of agree with you. But food & drink is a huge subject. I think some clues would be nearly impossible to solve without a definition part. Well I think they would, for me. Wyshiepoo's clue included fish in the clue even though it wasn't the definition, so this helped.

Can you solve this one with no definition? Well - I expect you can, knowing you... :)

Falsely enclose Montana (9)

Last edited:
I sort of agree with you. But food & drink is a huge subject. I think some clues would be nearly impossible to solve without a definition part. Well I think they would, for me. Wyshiepoo's clue included fish in the clue even though it wasn't the definition, so this helped.

Can you solve this one with no definition? Well - I expect you can, knowing you... :)

Well I've got one for this, not sure if correct. Is this also food and drink based?

Struggling with your other one.

The obvious suggestion is an anagram of enclose + MT, but I see no word from that.

The obvious suggestion is an anagram of enclose + MT, but I see no word from that.

Its not enclose but a synonym for enclose.

Edit - is that allowed? I mean to indicate a word by using a synonym or a phrase to indicate the word being sed in the anagram? I thought it was...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom