Recipe Cuban Chicken and Corn Pie

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:03 AM
attachment.jpg

Tambor de Maiz/Cuban corn and chicken pie
Adapted From "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen."

One 2-3 pound chicken cut into pieces and skin removed (I use all thighs)
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup Spanish olive oil
2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
2 medium-sized green peppers, seeded, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups drained and chopped canned tomatoes
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped, drained pimientos
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, drained and chopped
2 Tbsp capers (the small ones)
3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (defrosted if frozen)
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
6 large egg yolks (I usually use 2 yolks and 2 whole eggs unless I need egg whites for something else)
1 cup grated muenster cheese

Wash and pat dry chicken pieces. Season liberally with salt, pepper and lime juice. In a large, heavy-bottomed casserole, heat the oil over medium-high heat until fragrant. Cook the chicken pieces, turning occasionally, until golden brown and transfer to plate to cool to room temperature. They don’t need to be done all the way through, just enough to shred/chop. They will cook more later.

Using the same pan, adding a little more oil if necessary, add onions, bell peppers and garlic, cook over low heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 6-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, another 15-20 minutes. Measure out 1 cup of tomato mixture and set aside.

To the remaining mixture, add the cumin, pimientos, sherry, olives, and capers. Cover and simmer over low heat 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture is watery, reduce until thickened over medium-high heat. Remove the mixture from the heat.

When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull off bone and shred into bite size pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the tomato mixture and mix thoroughly. (Recipe can be made thru this point and refrigerated to finish up next day).

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish. (See alternative below)

In a food processor or blender, process the corn kernels until pureed. In a medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the corn with the milk, salt, pepper, sugar, and the reserved cup of tomato mixture and cook, uncovered, until the mixture is thick, 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. It will scorch if not stirred or temp is too high. Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Remove the mixture from the heat, add a little into the eggs and mix to temper the eggs, then add the eggs to corn mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow to cool slightly.

Spread half the corn mixture on the bottom of the baking dish and pat down with your fingers. Cover with entire tomato/chicken mixture and top with remaining corn mixture.

ALTERNATIVE: If making same day, leave the chicken mixture in the pan you cooked it in level it out, and top with all of corn mixture.

Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes (or so) until cheese melts. Serve hot or warm.

Last edited:
This is very different from any way I've come across for using corn and its really fascinating. I really like the combination of spices with olives and capers. I know that this will work as a foil to the sweetness of corn. I wouldn't want to add sugar to the corn mix though. I was also slightly alarmed at the idea of blending the chicken into the sauce. I need more time to think about this interesting and complex recipe.

Why would it be alarming to mix the chicken in? It's a casserole type dish.

I would imagine the sugar was added in since even frozen corn is not as sweet as fresh picked corn eaten within a short time of picking.

Why would it be alarming to mix the chicken in? It's a casserole type dish.

I would imagine the sugar was added in since even frozen corn is not as sweet as fresh picked corn eaten within a short time of picking.
Maybe Morning Glory is reading "blend" as in "put this in a blender?" 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would think that anyone looking at the picture would be able to tell it wasn't in a blender.

I did read it as 'blend' as in blending to a paste as you would in a blender. Maybe its a US/UK language thing? Here, I think it would say 'mix thoroughly'. Sorry to misunderstand! In standard dictionary definition 'to blend' means to mix one or more things together until they become one substance.

Not a problem. The original recipe was written by an English as a second language person and i probably used some of her terminology when I rewrote the recipes with our changes, which looking back at it I should probably do again, as there really isn't a sauce per se.

Back
Top Bottom