Recipe Cube (or Cubed) Steak with Gravy

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
12:05 PM
I recall eating this when I was growing up, but I've only made it a time or two, and it's been years. Lately, the adventure in my life seems to be taking a chance on bargain cuts of meat I find in the Manager's Special section of the grocery store. I'm fine with that, since I like to cook, and I enjoy finding new recipes to try.

For those unfamiliar, cube (or cubed) steak is a cheaper cut of meat that is pounded very thin, so it's more tender. I don't recall the weight of the package I bought, but the price was right at $1.93, and it had 4 largish portions of meat.

I was a little concerned because I looked all over the place and was unable to find a meat tenderizer in the house. I figured if I really needed to, I could use a hammer (after washing it, of course), or perhaps stab it repeatedly with a knife. It turned out that I didn't need to do either, because when I opened the package, the meat was so hammered it was falling apart. I thought for a minute that they'd mixed it up with ground beef. The condition of the meat was just right to enable the flour/cornstarch mixture to cling to every crack and crevice, and it turned out delicious and very tender.

I've purchased cube (or cubed) steak before that was extremely tough, so this is something I will look for again, and I will try to buy it in the future from Kroger, which is where I bought this meat, because they obviously know how to tenderize meat.

Here's a link to the recipe. I was amazed at how tender this turned out, especially based on what I paid for the entire package of meat. If you decide to make it, I'd love to hear about your experience.

cubed steaks.jpg

What is cube (cubed) steak?

Its funny that its called cube steak when its actually flat! :happy: I think here its called minute steak. I've never tried to cook with it. If I do steak with gravy (which I cooked last night as it happens!), I 'slow cook' what is sold as 'casserole' steak here. Basically its a cheap tough cut of beef. But I cook it in a low oven for 2 to 3 hours or a slow-cooker (crockpot) for 6 hours.

Last edited:
We use to have this often when I was a child. I haven't had it since though. It brings back so many memories. Thanks for posting this, maybe I will give it a try.

I recall eating this when I was growing up, but I've only made it a time or two, and it's been years. Lately, the adventure in my life seems to be taking a chance on bargain cuts of meat I find in the Manager's Special section of the grocery store. I'm fine with that, since I like to cook, and I enjoy finding new recipes to try.

For those unfamiliar, cube (or cubed) steak is a cheaper cut of meat that is pounded very thin, so it's more tender. I don't recall the weight of the package I bought, but the price was right at $1.93, and it had 4 largish portions of meat.

I was a little concerned because I looked all over the place and was unable to find a meat tenderizer in the house. I figured if I really needed to, I could use a hammer (after washing it, of course), or perhaps stab it repeatedly with a knife. It turned out that I didn't need to do either, because when I opened the package, the meat was so hammered it was falling apart. I thought for a minute that they'd mixed it up with ground beef. The condition of the meat was just right to enable the flour/cornstarch mixture to cling to every crack and crevice, and it turned out delicious and very tender. :wink:

I've purchased cube (or cubed) steak before that was extremely tough, so this is something I will look for again, and I will try to buy it in the future from Kroger, which is where I bought this meat, because they obviously know how to tenderize meat.

Here's a link to the recipe. I was amazed at how tender this turned out, especially based on what I paid for the entire package of meat. If you decide to make it, I'd love to hear about your experience.

View attachment 2389

What is cube (cubed) steak?

I like to do that also, but I always eat it with rice and a green veggie, such as peas or broccoli.

Cubed steak is often small to medium steaks that are passed through a tenderizer that helps break up the tough fibers & connective tissues to help make the meat more tender and easy to chew by stabbing the steak with little blades inside the unit. It is very palatable as well.

It has very little fat if any at all. :wink:

I actually relay like cube steak and sometimes make it at home when funds are low. You can find it at the store for very cheap and it tastes delicious. I normally use it when. I make chicken fried steak. I then will make some brown gravy and mashed potatoes to go with it.

I actually relay like cube steak and sometimes make it at home when funds are low. You can find it at the store for very cheap and it tastes delicious. I normally use it when. I make chicken fried steak. I then will make some brown gravy and mashed potatoes to go with it.

It usually starts out as that when you season it and then dredge it in flour and pan-fry it in a little oil. :wink:

Chicken fried steak is one of the best comfort foods ever, but not so good for you in the health and fitness world. This is normally one of those once in a blue moon dinner around my house.

Chicken fried steak is one of the best comfort foods ever, but not so good for you in the health and fitness world. This is normally one of those once in a blue moon dinner around my house.
What is chicken fried steak? Its not something we are familiar with in the UK.

My mother in law makes a delicious dish with cube steak, brown gravy and pepperoncinis so that it's a little spicy! We love it and the meat is always so tender despite being a cheap cut!

I never would have thought to pair it with pepperoncini, but I've been craving them lately for some reason. Does she just serve them on top, on the side, or another way? I usually serve them with mashed potatoes and green beans. I guess that's pretty standard, and maybe I should liven it up with a little spice, like your mom-in-law does.

@morning glory I'd never heard of chicken fried steak until I moved down here to Texas. I was very confused about what exactly i was eating, but it sure was tasty. Chicken fried chicken is good, too :laugh:.

Back
Top Bottom