Cucumber sandwiches

Duck59

Guru
Local time
4:54 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
Cucumber sandwiches were - indeed, still are - seen as a teatime delicacy for the rich and aristocratic. Why, I wonder, should this be? Cucumbers are not exactly expensive. I daresay that they were, when first introduced to Britain, pretty costly, but certainly not these days, yet the cucumber sandwich is still synonymous with royal garden parties.

Does anybody actually eat them? If I have cucumber in a sandwich, then it would go alongside some good cheese.

Just last night we had cucumbers because our dinner was hamburger steak. We normally buy cucumber as one of our stock food in the fridge. It has many uses for us like for sandwiches or even omelet. But we do not make cucumber sandwich, that would be bland. Our use for cucumber in sandwiches is to place on top of meat before applying mayonnaise. The favorite sandwich meat here is ham, the sweet variety, sometimes spam or even sausage. We also add a thin slice of cheese sometimes.

When I hear cucumber sandwich I also think of the old for the rich only way of thinking, then I wonder why would anyone want a sandwich made from just cucumbers? I do like cucumbers in a salad or just to snack on but I have yet to try them in a sandwich. We also put cucumbers in the green smoothies we make.

I have tasted cucumber sandwiches before, and I must say they are not very likeable. I do not mind having cucumber in a meat or fish sandwich, but cucumber alone in a sandwich is not the typical sandwich as far as I am concerned. Cucumber goes well when mixed in salads or by itself at the side of a meal. Come to think of it, I have not had cucumbers in a long time, simply because they are not my favourite vegetable.

I for one don't like cucumber sandwiches. I could also do without them in any of my meat sandwiches. I am surprise to learn it is a well to do meal. I'm happy to have them pickled or in a salad. Outside of that I think they are great as a facial cleanser.

Lady Bracknell. I’m sorry if we are a little late, Algernon, but I was obliged to call on dear Lady Harbury. I hadn’t been there since her poor husband’s death. I never saw a woman so altered; she looks quite twenty years younger. And now I’ll have a cup of tea, and one of those nice cucumber sandwiches you promised me.

Algernon. Certainly, Aunt Augusta. [Goes over to tea-table.]

Lady Bracknell. Won’t you come and sit here, Gwendolen?

Gwendolen. Thanks, mamma, I’m quite comfortable where I am.

Algernon. [Picking up empty plate in horror.] Good heavens! Lane! Why are there no cucumber sandwiches? I ordered them specially.

Lane. [Gravely.] There were no cucumbers in the market this morning, sir. I went down twice.

Algernon. No cucumbers!

Lane. No, sir. Not even for ready money.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

(Of course, Algernon has scoffed them already)

Strange though that something like pineapple [ which was also very rare and expensive ] didn't also become a 'sandwich' for the wealthy tea table
I'm pondering on the concept of a pineapple sandwich. Why not? Its a fruit, like the cucumber. Perhaps its for the same reason we don't have orange sandwiches (unless its marmalade) or mango sandwiches (unless the mango is pickled and accompanies cheese or meat). However, pineapple jam has been known to find its way into an occasional sandwich of mine.

Tomatoes, of course, also a fruit, are quite often found in sandwiches.

I've always thought of them as fancy, aristocratic food too, but I've never eaten them myself. To be honest, they sound rather bland -- I like my sandwiches to have a bit more oomph to them and I don't know that these would give me much staying power if they were the main part of a meal!

I find a thin slice of green apple on my sandwich with tuna more interesting than cucumber. I do not mind about the story of a certain sandwich what matters most to me is whether I like it or loathe it. In this case I do not like a cucumber on my sandwich. I would rather munch bite size pieces of it on my salad.

PG Wodehouse - Jeeves in the Offing

It was fortunate that I was not holding a tea cup as she spoke, for hearing Sir Roderick thus addressed I gave another of my sudden starts and, had I had such a cup in my hand, must have strewn its contents hither and thither like a sower going forth sowing. As it was, I merely sent a cucumber sandwich flying through the air.

'Oh, sorry,' I said, for it had missed the Cream by a hair's breadth.

I could have relied on Bobbie to shove her oar in. The girl had no notion of passing a thing off.

'Excuse it, please,' she said. 'I ought to have warned you. Bertie is training for the Jerk The Cucumber Sandwich event at the next Olympic Games. He has to be practising all the time.'

Back
Top Bottom