Recipe Curried Beans with Black Stone Flower

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:49 PM
You could use any sort of beans you wish for this dish, although I think larger, meatier beans work best. Stone Flower is a common name for a kind of lichen which is used in Indian cookery. I first came across it in an episode of Rick Stein’s India (book from series here). He had never seen it before and commented on its interesting flavour. Being fascinated, I managed to obtain some on-line from an Asian store. Its also known as Dagad Phool, Dagarful Kalpasi or Dagar na Phool. In order to release its flavour it is usually fried, along with other spices. The flavour is quite exquisite, definitely spicy but not quite like any other spice. It has a slightly cinnamon flavour but is much more savoury tasting. If you are unable to find any I suggest substituting one small freshly ground black cardamom and ½ tsp of ground cinnamon.

Ingredients (serves 2 as part of a spread)
1 x 400g tin of white beans (230g drained weight)
6 tbsp bean water from the tin
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
1 large pinch of black stone flower
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp asafetida
½ tsp ground fenugreek seeds
3 dried whole red chillies
6 fresh curry leaves
⅓ tin of chopped tomatoes
Salt, to taste

Method
  1. Heat the ghee in a pan and add the garlic and ginger paste. Fry gently for a few minutes then add the black stone flower. Fry gently for a further 30 seconds adding a little water if the mixture dries out.
  2. Add the chopped tomato, bean water and all the spices, stirring well.
  3. Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes until it thickens. Add more bean water if it dries out. At this point you can remove the chillies and curry leaves a blend the curry sauce to smooth consistency, if you wish. Add salt, to taste.
  4. Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
  5. Serve as part of a curry meal with rice or flatbreads and pickled red onions.

Black Stone Flower:

Last edited:
You keep finding ingredients that I need to try! We do have a very well-stocked Indian grocery story - Patel Brothers, which has several locations - so I will try there first.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought these were small potatoes from the look of it. It looks like a perfect serving size!

Back
Top Bottom