Recipe Curried Red Lentils with Coconut Milk

WhatsCookingMama

Local time
7:13 AM
So I made 2 dishes from Small Victories by Julia Turshen. I bought this book this past March. This is the first time cooking from it.

My first dish: Curried Red Lentils with Coconut Milk (serves 4)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot minced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup dehydrated split red lentils
1 (13 1/2 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
Kosher salt
Cooked basmati rice, plain yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro

In large saucepan pan, medium heat warm olive oil. Add ginger, garlic, shallot, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Cook until soft and fragrant.

Add lentils, coconut milk , 2 teaspoons salt and fill the coconut milk can with water, then add.

Lentils will absorb liquid while cooking. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Then turn to low for a simmer, cook until completely soft. Stirring now and then.

Serve over hot rice, topped with yogurt and cilantro.

My thoughts: We had company over, so I doubled the recipe. I didn't take pictures because we had company over and have a no phone rule. Everyone loved it! We do eat these ingredients on a regular base in all different ways. I added some cracked pepper to mine before eating. I used the largest garlic and shallots I could find. We love garlic and onions. I made the yogurt. I would make this again. It's good. It's economically friendly. Easily doubled or tripled. And my girls could easily make this themselves for their cooking night.

Back
Top Bottom