Cutting board cleaner?

foodie145

Local time
8:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I am a part of a group project as part of my university (TUM) and we had an idea to develop a product which neutralizes odors in cutting boards and disinfects it. Do you think such solution has market potential? Or would you yourself get one?

Thank you very much!

I have used harsh kitchen cleaners (like the ones with bleach in them) on my plastic cutting boards after they got stained from the food I was cutting/prepping, and then just washed thoroughly with dishsoap afterwards. I always wished there was a better product that would safely remove stains and deodorize that does not involve bleach, but I've yet to find one.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in that. When my wooden boards get a bit of odor going, I treat them with everything from lemon juice to vinegar to a baking soda paste. It works, but it's annoying.

I use bleach and a water solution for wood. For acrylic I run them through the dishwasher if they fit, otherwise bleach.

I agree on the platic boards. I have several, and put them straight in the dishwasher after use. That doesn't completely remove some stains, but they are sanitized, and I'm fine with that.

For my Boos Block wood cutting board, I wash it and oil it after use. Keeping it oiled makes a difference. Dried out wood is like a sponge for liquids and odors.

CD

I agree on the platic boards. I have several, and put them straight in the dishwasher after use. That doesn't completely remove some stains, but they are sanitized, and I'm fine with that.

For my Boos Block wood cutting board, I wash it and oil it after use. Keeping it oiled makes a difference. Dried out wood is like a sponge for liquids and odors.

CD
Right, I use linseed after every cleaning, very important.

I oil mine with food-grade mineral oil. I have a maple board that's ridiculously thirsty for oil. My teak one, because of the natural oils in it, isn't nearly as bad.

I've got three Boos cutting blocks and I just scrub them lightly with a bit of soap and water..then, when they are wet, I gently scrape them with a metal dough cutter/scraper..it takes the top layer of grunge off..then, I give it a good rinse with a wet cloth and let it dry.. sometimes I put a light coating of mineral oil on it, or I just use it..if you use them enough, they never dry out...
So, to answer the OP's question, I probably wouldn't buy any product for an issue I don't really have...but, having said that, good luck and it sounds like something that might take off..

Back
Top Bottom