Cutting board cleaner?

As we're all oiling our boards, are we taking the time to oil our wooden rolling pins and wooden utensils? I hope so!

Good point - forgot to mention wooden utensils. Don't forget wood trays, trivets and salad bowls. I don't have wood salad bowls but I do have a wood tray and some live edge trivets. They are stored on edge with my cutting boards. They are not used as frequently as the boards and utensils so I don't oil them as frequently, maybe monthly.

Nope. I don't think I want an oily rolling pin. Wooden spoons go in the dishwasher in my house. They are so cheap and never seem to deteriorate.
It won't be oily any more than a board is oily, unless you use too much oil, of course.

Here's one method (from The Kitchn):

Oil the rolling pin: Regularly oiling your rolling pin will increase its longevity considerably, keeping the wood conditioned and preventing cracks from forming. Dab a few drops of mineral oil or butcher block oil onto the lint-free cleaning cloth, then rub it into the entire surface of the pin. Let dry out on the counter for an hour or so, allowing the oil absorb into the pin completely before returning to storage.

It won't be oily any more than a board is oily, unless you use too much oil, of course.

Here's one method (from The Kitchn):

Oil the rolling pin: Regularly oiling your rolling pin will increase its longevity considerably, keeping the wood conditioned and preventing cracks from forming. Dab a few drops of mineral oil or butcher block oil onto the lint-free cleaning cloth, then rub it into the entire surface of the pin. Let dry out on the counter for an hour or so, allowing the oil absorb into the pin completely before returning to storage.

OK - but I've had one of my rolling pins for over 20 years and its never cracked. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a cracked rolling pin.

You all are flirting with disaster, you are! Ye be warned! :laugh:

This has led me down a little internet trail of reading about rolling pins, and my favorite bit had to be that a tapered French pin "allows for more intimacy with the dough" - I think a baker could get arrested for that! :laugh:

I sand all of my boards probably 3 times a year, all hardwood, when they get to thin I make another.

Never needed to do anything to my rolling pin, it's lasted 10 years so far and looks as new

Try this: Clorox Anywhere. It is safe for all services!! Cleans plastic & wooden cutting boards Has just a hint of Clorox Bleach in it, yet it's safe to use around food, children & pets. Has no harsh chemicals or fumes, dries in just minutes. No rinsing needed. It's a daily sanitizing spray that can be used anywhere & it kills the covid-19 virus on everything!!

It's availible at Amazon. Cuts down on illnesses & helps keep your home / kitchen germ-free.

Use it for knives, serving utensils, countertop & table surfaces as you would with a regular light cleaner!! :whistling:

Last edited:
View attachment 68140
Try this: Clorox Anywhere. It is safe for all services!! Cleans plastic & wooden cutting boards Has just a hint of Clorox Bleach in it, yet it's safe to use around food, children & pets. Has no harsh chemicals or fumes, dries in just minutes. No rinsing needed. It's a daily sanitizing spray that can be used anywhere & it kills the covid-19 virus on everything!!

It's availible at Amazon. Cuts down on illnesses & helps keep your home / kitchen germ-free.

Use it for knives, serving utensils, countertop & table surfaces as you would with a regular light cleaner!! :whistling:
I wonder how that compares to a bottle of 10% bleach solution (bleach and water)? I keep a bottle of that mixed up for all sorts of things.

Back
Top Bottom