Recipe (Dairy Free) Buckwheat Blini

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:56 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
These were something I had been wanting to make for a while. I happen to love the taste of buckwheat but for a variety of reasons never really seem to use it that much in my baking. Now I had been craving pikelets all week (something very similar but sweet and without the yeast or buckwheat flour and with golden syrup.... you get the idea) and these seemed to meet a combination of required things.

Ingredients
100g organic plain flour,
125g organic buckwheat flour
5g salt (ground or fine sea salt is ideal)
5g dried yeast
300ml organic soy milk
1 homegrown egg, separated
dairy free margarine for greasing a hot griddle with

Method
  1. Add all of the dried ingredients (except for the yeast), sifted to a large bowl. Make sure there is plenty of room in it.
  2. Warm the soy milk to hand temperature - luke warm. Its 37C or 100F you're after nothing warmer, so if it is too warm, cool it down. Add the yeast and the egg yolk and beat in until the yeast is dissolved. Allow it a few more minutes to be on the safe side.
  3. Now add the milk mixture to the dry flour (hold back on the egg white until later) and mix well. The mixture will go thick and gooey. that's exactly what you are after. Now cover it with a wet tea-towel (ideally clean!) and leave it somewhere warm to do its thing for 3-4 hours. You can proof the mixture overnight in a fridge if you want to, the same way you do with sourdough and then carry on in the morning. Either way, you are going to need another 30-45 minutes after the next step, so leave yourself plenty of time and just like bread or pizza dough, it is going to (hopefully) bubble away and double in size.
  4. 3-4 hours later/overnight and roughly 30-45 minutes before you want to make the blini, in a clean bowl, whisk the egg white until it forms hard peaks. Roughly fold about 1/2 of the egg white into the dough batter. Now more carefully fold in the remaining half and set the bowl somewhere warm for that final proofing of 30-45 mins.
  5. Roughly 10 minutes before you want to make the blini, turn on the oven onto its lowest setting and put in a oven proof flat plate or something similar to hold the blini in as you make them and keep them warm. My oven has a 75C setting which doesn't take long to achieve, but if you lack something low enough, then just leave the door ever so slightly ajar. Also start to pre-warm your griddle.
  6. Now you want to make your blini and just like making drop scones or pikelets. So once your griddle is hot, grease it with a small amount of dairy free marg/butter and put small amounts of the batter onto the griddle. Wait until the bubbles burst and the edge looks like it is starting to 'burn' before you carefully flip them over with a palate knife. I usually find 3 or 4 on the griddle at one time is more than enough - 3 allows for space for easy flipping, 4 doesn't. Your blini should spread themselves out and be about 3-4 inches or 10cm in diameter when cooked. Flip as needed, and give roughly half the time to the other side and then put onto that plate in the oven. I found I made roughly 15-18 blini from this quantity. Enough for 4 served with (vegan) sausages and baked beans!

Back
Top Bottom