Dairy free margarine

caseydog

Local time
7:52 AM
[Mod.edit: This post and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

I used a dairy free margarine mixed with grated coconut oil (it's a commercial thing in a paper wrapper from the fridge section of the supermarket).

Isn't all margarine dairy free? I thought it was made with vegetable (corn) oil. At least that is what it is in the US.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't all margarine dairy free? I thought it was made with vegetable (corn) oil. At least that is what it is in the US.

CD

No, the vast majority have dairy in them (butter, buttermilk, skinned milk prefer, caesin, and so on) If you check through the supermarket next time you are in....

Even the cheap stuff restaurants use is hit and miss. It's more likely to be dairy free than supermarket stuff but still often has it added. I've found that you be the case in most countries I've travelled in (+30 or so).

Flora original
ingredients
Vegetable oils (63%) (containing 52% Sunflower and Canola oils), water, salt, milk solids, emulsifiers (471, soy lecithin), preservative (202), food acid (citric acid), vitamins (A, D), natural flavours, natural colour (β-carotene).

Contains: milk, soy.

Meadowlea original
Ingredients
Vegetable oils 60% (containing 48% canola oil, full hydrogenated palm oil), water, salt, emulsifiers (E471, E322 (from soy)), milk solids, preservative (E202), acidity regulator (E270), natural colour (E160a (iv)), vitamins A & D, natural flavour.

Allergen
Milk, Soybeans

Western Star spread
Ingredients
Cream (Milk), Vegetable Oil, Butteroil (Milk), Salt, Buttermilk Powder (Milk), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Flavour, Acidity Regulator (270), Vitamins (A, D), Colour (160a). Dairy Content: Min 60%, Vegetable Oil: Min 34%

Allergen
Milk, Soybeans

Gold'n Canola margarine
Ingredients
Canola oil (47%), water, vegetable oils, salt, emulsifiers (471, 322 (from soy)), milk solids, preservative (202), food acid (270), colour (160a), flavour, vitamins A & D

Allergen
Milk, Soy

Olive Grove original spread
Ingredients
Vegetable oils 60% (containing minimum 19% olive oil), water, salt, emulsifiers (471, 322 (from soy)), milk solids, preservative (202), food acid (270), colour (160a), flavour, vitamins A & D.

Allergen
Milk, Soy

Woolworths olive oil Spread
Ingredients
Vegetable Oils (Canola Oil, Olive Oil (19%), Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil), Water, Salt, Milk Solids, Emulsifiers (471, Soybean Lecithin), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Natural Colours (Annatto, Curcumin), Vitamins A and D, Natural Flavour

Allergen
Soy, Milk

Bertolli classic olive oil spread
Ingredients
Vegetable Oil 65% (containing 19% Olive Oil), Water, Salt, Milk Solids, Emulsifiers (Soy Lecithin, 471), Preservative (202), Food Acid (Lactic Acid), Vitamins (A, D), Natural Flavours, Natural Colour (ß-Carotene).

Allergen
Milk, Soy

There is usually 1 brand in each supermarket nowadays that is dairy free but that has only been the case for the last 5-10 years. Before that was hard.... it's why I often bail to avocado when I'm eating out.

Last edited:
No, the vast majority have dairy in them (butter, buttermilk, skinned milk prefer, caesin, and so on) If you check through the supermarket next time you are in....

Even the cheap stuff restaurants use is hit and miss. It's more likely to be dairy free than supermarket stuff but still often has it added. I've found that you be the case in most countries I've travelled in (+30 or so).

Flora original

Meadowlea original

Western Star spread

Gold'n Canola margarine

Olive Grove original spread

Woolworths olive oil Spread

Bertolli classic olive oil spread

There is usually 1 brand in each supermarket nowadays that is dairy free but that has only been the case for the last 5-10 years. Before that was hard.... it's why I often bail to avocado when I'm eating out.
I've never seen any of those brands in the US. Well we have Bertolli olive oil, pasta sauce, and pasta but no spread. I'm going to have to check our most popular brands out of curiosity.

I've never seen any of those brands in the US. Well we have Bertolli olive oil, pasta sauce, and pasta but no spread. I'm going to have to check our most popular brands out of curiosity.
People often think I'm joking when I say I can't even have a jam sandwich without checking the bread, marg and the jam. Bread frequently has milk in it especially if it has that dreaded word 'soft' in the name e.g. soft wholemeal baps/rolls. Marg more often than not has it in (as I said this had been my experience through over 30 countries) and jam... ok commercial jam isn't usually a problem, but any old housewives trick to prevent foaming when making homemade jam is to add a knob of butter. It does work, it does stop jam foaming at the boiling stage and hence reduces the chances of it boiling over. It also changes the taste of the jam several ever do slightly and makes it work really well with butter on toast. My Grannie taught me they one and if you start pressing people at fairs or anywhere where homemade jam or chutney is sold, sooner or later you'll find someone who has made their jam that way... I've even seen it on American or was it a Canadian (?) TV travel program just recently (in the last 6 months) where they included not only butter but a several slices of bacon whilst making maple syrup, again to stop foaming and my immediate thought was, great yet another hazard to remember in something that should be free from dairy (or meat) and isn't.

People often think I'm joking when I say I can't even have a jam sandwich without checking the bread, marg and the jam. Bread frequently has milk in it especially if it has that dreaded word 'soft' in the name e.g. soft wholemeal baps/rolls. Marg more often than not has it in (as I said this had been my experience through over 30 countries) and jam... ok commercial jam isn't usually a problem, but any old housewives trick to prevent foaming when making homemade jam is to add a knob of butter. It does work, it does stop jam foaming at the boiling stage and hence reduces the chances of it boiling over. It also changes the taste of the jam several ever do slightly and makes it work really well with butter on toast. My Grannie taught me they one and if you start pressing people at fairs or anywhere where homemade jam or chutney is sold, sooner or later you'll find someone who has made their jam that way... I've even seen it on American or was it a Canadian (?) TV travel program just recently (in the last 6 months) where they included not only butter but a several slices of bacon whilst making maple syrup, again to stop foaming and my immediate thought was, great yet another hazard to remember in something that should be free from dairy (or meat) and isn't.
I completely get why you have to be careful.

Looks like the industry in our country is moving more towards the vegan route but a few brands still have whey or other animal products that are being phased out.

I completely get why you have to be careful.

Looks like the industry in our country is moving more towards the vegan route but a few brands still have whey or other animal products that are being phased out.
I'm not so sure.

I'm having a few connection issues, but kroger margarine definitely contains dairy. K I'm on the instacart site via an American VPN so I found get a connection.

Kroger margarine
Ingredients
Liquid Soybean Oil, Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Canola Oil, Salt Whey, (milk), Vegetable Mono & Diglycerides, Soybean Lecithin ( Soy), Potassium Sorbate And Citric Acid Added As Preservatives, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Colored, With Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Palmitate Added.

Parkay original
Ingredients
Soybean Oil, Water, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Nonfat Milk, Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Dried Whey, Buttermilk (water, Buttermilk Powder), Emulsifiers (mono- And Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin), Preservatives (potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Phosphoric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (color).

Blue band original marg
Vegetable Oils (Canola, Sunflower, Palm, Soybean, Palm Kernel, Lin Seed), Water, Salt, Milk Powder, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Antioxidant (BHT), Vitamins (A & D3), Natural Identical Color

Our Family soft margarine
Ingredients
Vegetable Oil Blend (liquid Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of Salt, Natural & Artificial Flavors (includes Milk), Whey, Soy Lecithin, Vegetable Mono & Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative), Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate Added Beta Carotene (color).

centrella soft margarine contains dairy, I just can't locate an ingredients list.

Mother's margarine seems to be everything, kosher, dairy free etc...
Earth Balance is also dairy free
Gold'n Soft appears to be dairy free (not sure if that's the entire range though)...
Promise and Nutvia also seem free from dairy...

I'm not so sure.

I'm having a few connection issues, but kroger margarine definitely contains dairy. K I'm on the instacart site via an American VPN so I found get a connection.

Kroger margarine

Parkay original

Blue band original marg

Our Family soft margarine

centrella soft margarine contains dairy, I just can't locate an ingredients list.

Mother's margarine seems to be everything, kosher, dairy free etc...
Earth Balance is also dairy free
Gold'n Soft appears to be dairy free (not sure if that's the entire range though)...
Promise and Nutvia also seem free from dairy...
Yeah, I've never seen blue band, centrella, or our family, and we don't have Kroger in my city (it's about an hour each way). My store carries imperial, earth balance, and smart balance i know for sure. But since we don't eat margarine I don’t look closely. I've bought earth balance before but didn't like it.

UK supermarkets have plenty of vegan margarine although most are soft 'spreads'. Margarine in block form is less easy to find. Tomor is one that is block form and vegan. Stork is also dairy free.

Trex (a popular shortening) is also vegan.

Dairy and animal products feature in so many foodstuffs it's difficult to keep track of things. I suppose it's a reminder to read all food labels closely. Without going too far off topic, even the Bank of England new five pound notes had gelatin in the print. It was my youngest daughter's Mother in law who raised this issue with the Bank of England when the notes were first issued, and she refused to accept them for payment in the restaurant.

I usually use Becel vegan margarine. It’s pretty close in flavour to their other margarines, but of course, tastes pretty different from butter (although I keep both in my fridge and use butter and margarine for different things…I’m a bit of a weirdo that way).

I avoid margarine like the plague. An overdose of cheap and nasty margarine when I was young has created a life long aversion to the stuff.
No idea it had butter in it!

My mom only bought, and still only uses margarine. When I cook with butter, I have to hide it -- really. She is convinced that margarine is healthier. When her cookies come out flat as a pancake, I tell her to stop using margarine. She just keeps making the same mistake, thinking it is something else, like her oven or baking sheets that are causing the problem.

CD

Every time I see this thread come up, I have to laugh because ever since I watched "Kate and Leopold" years and years ago, the filming of the "Farmer's Bounty" commercial is all I can think about when I hear/see the word margarine.

I avoid margarine like the plague. An overdose of cheap and nasty margarine when I was young has created a life long aversion to the stuff.
No idea it had butter in it!
I can relate. The first time I ever had real butter I was a sophomore in high school (grade 10 out of 1-12) and went to a friend's house for dinner. They only used real butter in their house. After that I never used margarine (or sparingly), and after I moved out on my own I only bought real butter.

Which makes me remember how inexpensive it was back then compared to now. Even last year it was about 1/2 the price it is now 😔

Back
Top Bottom