Recipe Dakotas Lamb Quiche

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
11:00 PM
Dakotas Lamb Quiche:

NOTE: The Dakotas, North Dakota and South Dakota, are the far northwest corner of the US Corn Belt, the extended region where Corn is grown and produced in the USA. The largest numbers of farmed Sheep in the US are in Texas and California, but include to a lesser degree, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Iowa.

NOTE: Dakota Corn Belt Lamb Quiche is named for its combination of Lamb and Corn Crust ingredients. It is a chewy and subtly flavored Quiche unlike others, that is hard not to consume in total, whether for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner.

Ingredients:

1) Corn Meal - 1/4 Cup
2) Corn Harina - 3/4 Cup
3) Baking Soda - 1 Tspn.
4) Eggs - 7
5) Half n Half - as needed
6) Lamb - 1/2 to 3/4 Cup
7) Garlic - 1/8 Cup
8) Scallions - 1/8 Cup
9) Anaheim Pepper - 1/8 Cup
10) Sun Dried Tomato - 1/8 Cup
11) Feta Cheese - 1/8 Cup
12) Olive Oil - as needed
13) Turmeric - 1/2 Tspn.
14) Rosemary - 1 Tspn.
15) Marjoram - 1/2 Tspn.
16) Black Mustard Seed - 1/2 Tspn.
17) Shredded Cheddar Cheese - 1/8 Cup

NOTE: For Lamb, it may be preferable to start with Lamb Stewing Meat, which is purchased pre-cut into moderate sized pieces. Then mince cut that.

NOTE: If it is desired to modify the content of the Quiche and the elements added give off water or fat when cooked, pre-cook them and drain away the fluids.

DakotasLambQuiche.jpg

Procedure:

1) In a Bowl, mix Corn Meal, Harina and Baking Soda.
2) Add 1 Egg and Half n Half.
3) Mix and Knead the Dough.
4) Oil the surfaces of a baking pan.
5) Press out the Dough and form the Quiche Pie Crust.
6) Flute or Crimp the edges of the Crust, if desired.
7) Set aside.
8) Dice Garlic and cross cut Scallions.
9) Mince cut the Lamb Meat.
10) Precook the Lamb Meat and drain off water and fat.
11) Mix the Garlic, Scallions, Tomato, Lamb and Feta Cheese.
12) Mix in Spices and then the Eggs.
13) Fill the Pie Crust with the mixture and level it off.
14) Top the Quiche with a light cover of Shredded Cheese.
15) Bake.

NOTE: This Quiche should be cooked on the bottom rack of the oven, whether using a conventional oven or an air fryer. It is not possible to achieve good results with a microwave oven. If a bottom rack is not available and the Quiche must be baked close to the heating element, lower the temperatures set and possibly lengthen the baking times. Always check to ensure the crust does not burn and that the Quiche is done by noting the sway or wiggle at the top when given slight nudges of the baking pan.

Important: Check frequently to ensure that the Crust does not burn and test for wiggle or jiggle of Quiche as an indication of being done.

NOTE: Bake at high preheated temperature, 375F for 8 to 10 minutes, then at lower temperature, 300F for 20 minutes. If Quiche wiggles when shaken, lower the temperature, no less than 250F and continue to bake until it only wiggles slightly. Remove from oven and let set for at least 5 to 15 minutes before serving.

DakotasLambQuicheBaking.jpg

15) Serve.

DakotasLambQuicheServed1.jpg

DakotasLambQuicheServed2.jpg

DakotasLambQuicheServed3.jpg

Yep, it was good!

Last edited:
This looks terrific. I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me to use lamb in a quiche. I readily think of sausage and bacon, but I will certainly try this for the special flavor that lamb brings (using feta makes for an assertive, flavorful combo).

By the way, it looks like you favor Anaheim peppers in your recipes the way I like using serranos. :okay:

This looks terrific. I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me to use lamb in a quiche. I readily think of sausage and bacon, but I will certainly try this for the special flavor that lamb brings (using feta makes for an assertive, flavorful combo).

By the way, it looks like you favor Anaheim peppers in your recipes the way I like using serranos. :okay:

Lamb is a great meat. It does have a great flavor due to its high fat content.

BTW: I prefer Serranos and always have them in the fridge. I do Anaheims when I want the flavor to be less spicy and more subtle. Habneros are preferred when I want to really spike a meal with pepper. It's rare, but I will use Bells for certain entrees and other peppers like Anchos or Pasillas. Red Cayenne Pepper is usually used flaked as a spice or as a hot sauce - Crystal Hot Sauce.

From the land of lamb I dint think I will try this?????? But then....

Russ

Put your own spin on it.

This was my first Quiche of any kind. It was very good and flavorful, but I think, a bit drier than I would have liked. Still moist, just not moist enough. But I couldn't have predicted that with it being my first Quiche. I might have been a bit heavier on the Rosemary and Marjoram too.

Back
Top Bottom