Deep fat frying ... again ... appliance or open pan ?

Do you prefer a deep fryer machine or manual on the stove top ?

• Total voters
Water breaks down into two volatile components, Hydrogen and Oxygen.
Thats amazing. The only method I knew was electrolysis ie running an electrical current through water. Squid is a very wet ingredient to fry, as you can see from the pic the bubbles are steam being expelled.
Deep-fat frying is a complex unit operation involving high temperatures, significant microstructural changes both to the surface and the body of the chip, and simultaneous heat and mass transfer resulting in flows in opposite directions of water vapor (bubbles) and oil at the surface of the piece
Source: Bouchon et al., 2003. From: Advances in Potato Chemistry and Technology, 2009.

The oil was 190c . I fry the squid in two batches ( tentacles first and longer). I remove the first batch and repeat. After the meal I strain the warm oil for reuse.

What temp does this breakdown occur and does it self ignite ?
1604900323648.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats amazing. The only method I knew was electrolysis ie running an electrical current through water. Squid is a very wet ingredient to fry, as you can see from the pic the bubbles are steam being expelled.
Source: Bouchon et al., 2003. From: Advances in Potato Chemistry and Technology, 2009.

The oil was 190c . I fry the squid in two batches ( tentacles first and longer). I remove the first batch and repeat. After the meal I strain the warm oil for reuse.

This is rather mis-guided, no matter what your authoritative source. The bonds holding a water molecule together only require energy to be broken. That energy can be induced via electrolysis to mass produce the two gasses or via heat. In fact, water molecules may open and regroup often in liquid form from chemical energies.

The bonding of a water molecule is strong, but is not so strong that energies that break them down are quite common.

This is rather mis-guided, no matter what your authoritative source. The bonds holding a water molecule together only require energy to be broken. That energy can be induced via electrolysis to mass produce the two gasses or via heat. In fact, water molecules may open and regroup often in liquid form from chemical energies.

The bonding of a water molecule is strong, but is not so strong that energies that break them down are quite common.
Is it misguided to ask for an answer to the question above, I also reiterate my most salient point. Water boils and produces steam at 100c at sea level, at 190c what happens to the moisture in the squid I dropped into said oil ?

Is it misguided to ask for an answer to the question above, I also reiterate my most salient point. Water boils and produces steam at 100c at sea level, at 190c what happens to the moisture in the squid I dropped into said oil ?

I am going to bow out of this discussion, as it will go nowhere. I leave with only one thought to promote ... Can you possibly perceive steam being not just the liberation of water molecules into the air with thermal agitation, but also includes, the liberation of independent Oxygen and Hydrogen atoms which quickly re-coalesce into water molecules?

Mod.comment: How a chat about the science of deep fat frying can generate such emotive responses is a puzzle to me! :ohmy: Please can we try not to be confrontational to each other.

Back
Top Bottom