Deep fat frying ... again ... appliance or open pan ?

Do you prefer a deep fryer machine or manual on the stove top ?

• Total voters
Years ago, Pop Secret bragged that their popcorn had less unpopped kernels than anyone else. Now they got just as many unpopped kernels like everyone else!!!!

I can go either way, appliance or an open pan. But I've been frying chicken, pork chops & other things in an open pan. I've been doing it that way for years!! :whistling:

Fried pork chops and chicken fried steaks are two things I always shallow fry in a cast iron pan.

We need to have a Cookalong for American Southern/Soul Food. :hungry:

CD

The virtue of an open deep fat fryer is that the contents can be visibly checked and/or turned. It's disadvantages is mostly related to spattering, but also, has no way to check temperatures. The possibility of a grease fire is greater since it is always open to the air.

The virtues of a standard electric deep fat fryer are similar, but it does have a glass lid and a temperature setting. The potential of a grease fire still exists, w/o the lid in place.

My preference is a Pressure Deep Fat Fryer, either a simply sealed lid fryer or an electric Pressure Deep Fat Fryer. The virtues here are that temperatures are brought up, contents added, sealed and timer fried. When contents are removed, they are hot enough that remaining oil drains as well as evaporates. The disadvantage is that care must be taken when opening the fryer to avoid getting spattered and burned. Timing and temperatures must be accurate. Pressure Deep Fat Frying is known as "Broasting." It results in very moist and flavorful fried foods which ultimately retain very little cooking oil, if done right.

The virtue of an open deep fat fryer is that the contents can be visibly checked and/or turned. It's disadvantages is mostly related to spattering, but also, has no way to check temperatures. The possibility of a grease fire is greater since it is always open to the air.

The virtues of a standard electric deep fat fryer are similar, but it does have a glass lid and a temperature setting. The potential of a grease fire still exists, w/o the lid in place.

My preference is a Pressure Deep Fat Fryer, either a simply sealed lid fryer or an electric Pressure Deep Fat Fryer. The virtues here are that temperatures are brought up, contents added, sealed and timer fried. When contents are removed, they are hot enough that remaining oil drains as well as evaporates. The disadvantage is that care must be taken when opening the fryer to avoid getting spattered and burned. Timing and temperatures must be accurate. Pressure Deep Fat Frying is known as "Broasting." It results in very moist and flavorful fried foods which ultimately retain very little cooking oil, if done right.

Getting burned is part of the frying experience. Just kidding in case that wasn't obvious. LOL

The induction ring on my gas/electric hob has very accurate temp control. When it hits the correct temp it turns down, when the squid in this case goes in the temp drops and the temp turns up. The majority of chip/ff pan fire's are caused by forgetting the pan is on. Smell was the big no no for my wife, since I had the Bosch extractor serviced she is okay with me using the hob.
1604824243918.png

The induction ring on my gas/electric hob has very accurate temp control. When it hits the correct temp it turns down, when the squid in this case goes in the temp drops and the temp turns up. The majority of chip/ff pan fire's are caused by forgetting the pan is on. Smell was the big no no for my wife, since I had the Bosch extractor serviced she is okay with me using the hob.

Actually, grease fires are caused because water from what is being fried gets mixed with the oil or grease and under heat, creates a more volatile chemistry in the pot. It has nothing to do with things getting burned because the pan is forgotten as turned on. A grease fire can occur while you are actively cooking.

Actually, grease fires are caused because water from what is being fried gets mixed with the oil or grease and under heat, creates a more volatile chemistry in the pot. It has nothing to do with things getting burned because the pan is forgotten as turned on. A grease fire can occur while you are actively cooking.

According to the Frisco Fire Department, my next door neighbor's house burned because my neighbor was distracted by a situation with one of her children, and "a pan was forgotten as turned on."

There are more ways than one to start a grease fire.

Put a dry pan of completely dry bacon on the stove, and walk away. Let me know how that works out.

CD

How does evaporating water 100 c relate to a flash point of 330 c ? to reach that flash point all the moisture from what you are frying would be long gone. There are three temperatures to consider: the flash point, c. 330°C, at which the oil ignites given a flame or spark; the fire point, c. 370°C, when oil will continue to burn on removal of the ignition source; and the auto-ignition temperature, 430°C, where oil vapours will ignite without an ignition source.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMdhjS2uJk&ab_channel=JcAdventureHD

The only burns I get regularly are when cooking polenta or porridge.:hyper:

Mine are when I touch the handle of the oven-safe skillet without considering where it just was.

How does evaporating water 100 c relate to a flash point of 330 c ? to reach that flash point all the moisture from what you are frying would be long gone. There are three temperatures to consider: the flash point, c. 330°C, at which the oil ignites given a flame or spark; the fire point, c. 370°C, when oil will continue to burn on removal of the ignition source; and the auto-ignition temperature, 430°C, where oil vapours will ignite without an ignition source.

If a fire was as large as the one in the video... OUT! Grab the cat and a quick necessity or two (car keys, as my car is usually in the driveway - that sort of thing) and run. 911 (here in the US) for the fire department. So, yes, for that I'd need to grab the phone, too.

A smaller fire - I have a kitchen-grade fire extinguisher I check (nearly) every month. I have been trained in use - aim at the base of the fire, not at the flames. Know when to cut one's losses, however. Haven't had to use. (Also good to keep one in each level of your home, and a final one in the garage.)

The smallest fires - cover with something solid like a lid, NOT a towel. I had to do the last once, back at my old home. It was IN the skillet, and a quick cover cut off the oxygen.

Water breaks down into two volatile components, Hydrogen and Oxygen. At temperatures, the free elements combine with the oil or grease hydrocarbon molecules to form more volatile fuels before flash occurs.

Back
Top Bottom