Deep fat frying ... again ... appliance or open pan ?

Do you prefer a deep fryer machine or manual on the stove top ?

• Total voters
Mine is similar to this one. I know that I can pour oil into a pan and achieve the same thing, but that would mean using a separate thermometer (to make sure the oil is the right temperature). I also appreciate the convenience of the basket. I have pan fried things, but that's almost always when I want to do a shallow fry, not a deep fry.

a8-07708fcd40b6_1.212ada2b996e9f0358f1a7d73752df43.jpg

Last night after grilling the Tandoori on the balcony I had to go out to collect the padded seats from the chairs as 40 mph winds( not me god) and rain was forecast. The pad on my chair next to the weber, smelled delicious (you eat with your nose first ) I gave it a lick........Mrs Blank put it in a bin bag and left it on the balcony for airing this morning.

Mine also has the basket, and battered fish used to stick to the basket. I now leave the basket out, place fish in, it doesn't stick, then use tongs to pick fish up and put it in the basket. I do this a lot.
Perfect cooked.

As did I. Although I didn't subsequently put the fish in the basket. Given fish and chips, the chips would be cooked first in the basket and then the basket removed to let the oil drain. That's when the battered fish went in without the basket. It only takes a few minutes.

Mine is similar to this one. I know that I can pour oil into a pan and achieve the same thing, but that would mean using a separate thermometer (to make sure the oil is the right temperature). I also appreciate the convenience of the basket. I have pan fried things, but that's almost always when I want to do a shallow fry, not a deep fry.

With stove top deep frying, I don't use a thermometer (I bought one once and somehow lost it). For chips, I just dip one end of a potato in to test the temperature. With battered food, just drop in a morsal of batter.

Last edited:

View attachment 47020

We have this one too.

I don't like the smell of fish, unless it's something like cod, which doesn't seem to have much smell. It's why I can't even sit in a waiting area of a seafood restaurant will turning green.

Chicken is another one that really, really smells bad when it's cooking - thinking bone-in, skin-on, mainly. We both love hot wings, but rarely make them because of the smell, and making stock is a stinky affair to me.

I've gotten to the point where I am fine with the smell of broccoli cooking. At the moment the only food I can think of with an unbearable stench (that's not burnt or rotted) is hazelnut - but I intensely dislike that flavor to begin with. (And if anyone brings up durian - I haven't tried durian yet so I have no idea what I'll think when I do experience that one. (I WILL do it some place not inside my home when I first try this, just to be safe). There are some cheeses I'm not overjoyed with the smell of, but they don't typically take over the aroma of a room much beyond the cutting board they are displayed upon.

Oh, wait - I don't like the smell of popcorn. The only way I can remove the popcorn smell is to eat just a few kernels - suddenly the smell is gone. Makes movie-going an interesting experience - I tell the person I'm with I just want 5-8 kernels and try to explain this to him or her, before they tell me I should just buy my own bag. (I would seriously throw the rest of the bag out, especially with what passes for butter at movie venues.... which is probably the part I don't want to smell...)

Tasty, I understand the fish thing, although I don't have that reaction - but the chicken? I want to crawl into the oven (yes, I bake my wings) to nab the wings well before they are ready, the aromas are that enticing to me.

EDIt: I feel the same way if the wings are indeed fat fried or baked... I just prefer for apparent health (and less mess) reasons to bake them.

Last edited:

View attachment 47020

Nice! I had one like that.

(I would seriously throw the rest of the bag out, especially with what passes for butter at movie venues.... which is probably the part I don't want to smell...)
This prompted me to look this up. I can't believe I didn't think to do this until just now, but now I know that movie theater butter...has no butter in it. According to the article (and other sources):

it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil (aka trans fats), beta carotene (a coloring, makes carrots orange), tertiary Butylhydroquinone or TBHQ (synthetic preservative that keeps the color and texture from changing as the product sits), polydimethylsiloxane (silicone based chemical that prevents foaming), and, wait for it, buttery flavoring.

Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom