Deep fat frying ... again ... appliance or open pan ?

Do you prefer a deep fryer machine or manual on the stove top ?

• Total voters
and making stock is a stinky affair to me.
Do you ever grill kippers ? The first time I did it in the UK with Mrs Blank in residence was the last. -5c in the snow on a Sunday morning, lighting the BBQ to grill f ing kippers in the garden makes a man of you.

Do you ever grill kippers ? The first time I did it in the UK with Mrs Blank in residence was the last. -5c in the snow on a Sunday morning, lighting the BBQ to grill f ing kippers in the garden makes a man of you.

Quite often. No problem. I love the smell. I was meaning to post one I recently did...

DITTO caseydog and CraigC . George has a stainless fry pan with a basket for deep frying. We use it outside on the propane burner. He grabs a handful of product and dumps it in the pan. Everything sticks together. I add the product a piece at a time - slowly. No clumping. Stepson has an electric fryer. It is more convenient because you just plug it in - no need for the propane burner. On the other hand it is a pain to clean compared to a simple fry pan. This talk of frying is making me hungry. Time to get some fish out of the freezer.

If you "temper" the fish before allowing it loose in the basket, i.e., giving the coating a head start by holding it at the surface and moving it gently back and forth, it will not stick to the basket.

Yeah I've seen it done that way, I'm too impatient and don't want the batter to be too thin. My ways a bit awkward, but Im comfortable with it.

Russ

Oh, I LOVE the aromas of fish and meat - I don't deep fry fish or meat often for other reasons (just sometimes).

I remember at one point in my childhood (aged 9) I hated the smell of broccoli cooking. But I liked broccoli. (Okay, the kid didn't like peas or brussels sprouts or lima beans, so in many ways I was a typical kid) I tried my first cigarette age 9 because I wondered if broccoli smelled awful, but tasted good, maybe cigarettes would do the same. (My parents were both smokers). So when my cousin and her friend offered me one... (yes, they were my same age...)

Nope.

But I still love the scents of nearly all foods , no matter HOW they are cooked. Okay, not if they burn inadvertently... Or if they've rotted.

I agree, the smell of deep-fried food like fish/meat/vegetable is fantastic, you start to eat with your nose...

Anyway, I have two simple methods to reduce the smell after frying:
putting a little piece of lemon skin in the pan during frying.
And the second one is to open the window 😆

What are kippers?

Smoked herrings. Famously made in Scotland and the Isle of Man

1601029505265.png

I agree, the smell of deep-fried food like fish/meat/vegetable is fantastic, you start to eat with your nose...

Anyway, I have two simple methods to reduce the smell after frying:
putting a little piece of lemon skin in the pan during frying.
And the second one is to open the window 😆

We have no window in the kitchen because it used to be a garage, really unpractical. Thats why I fry with an appliance, it reduces at least some of the smell.

Back
Top Bottom