Difficult to find ingredients

I don't know if you go to Manchester, but there are two Waitrose stores there. Waitrose generally stock veal and you can always make sure by phoning them or doing click and collect. But they might deliver to Bolton... Ocado (who stock Waitrose goods) do deliver to Bolton.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=33709

LN_066568_BP_10-2.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly, Classic33, I will be trying out the farm shop you put me on to, I just have not had a chance yet. If I can’t get the rose veal there then I will go to the websites you provided. Before I started this thread, I had spotted rose veal on a website myself, and I don’t think it was any of the ones you have pointed to. Whatever, if that is my best source then so be it. But I certainly will be using rose veal for the Rick Stein cutlets dish.

Not that I am averse to trying alligator steaks for something. I have a vague memory that I have had crocodile before, and I have a strong feeling it was in a Walkabout bar somewhere. But your mentioning alligator steak has reminded me of another definite memory from my time in Tasmania. The mill I was working at had a mill canteen that, in culture, was a typical British mill canteen – of the type that hardly exists here anymore – including fish and chips on a Friday. Except that the battered fish was not cod. It was – shark. It was very nice actually.
One of those links should have been for the farm shop mentioned. Should have been the first one.

As for Shark N'chips, wasn't there a chippy around Liverpool that had it on offer a few years ago?
Not cheap though.

Here http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bolognese_sausage_rag_01151, he says use good quality coarse pork sausage meat. I really don't know what the difference would be between Italian sausage meat and English. I mean, if it is just coarse minced pork then what would the difference be?

The only difference would be in the seasonings added to the sausages (if you were using sausages rather than plain minced pork). I found this on Nigella's website:

I think the dish that Rick is making is a generic Italian recipe. There will be many variations, depending on regions and the type of sausages used. I would bet that if he cooked this dish in the UK he would use a different sausage and it would taste slightly different. And you could go to several Italian delis and find different 'Italian sausages' in the UK. So, whatever you do, the dish will never replicate the one that he cooked in the TV programme. Well, not exactly, anyway.

I just read this recipe for ragù alla bolognese: fennel seeds? Why? Never saw. I think he has confused two ragu: bolognese and neapolitan.There are only two kind of minced meat to put in r. bolognese: minced pork and beef meat. Instead in the Neapolitan r.: pork/beef minced and sausage (non spicy).

I think the fennel seeds were to make the pork taste like sweet sausage.

Bolognese is more of a pure meat flavored sauce with veggies, as far as I know. But to each his own, and all is well.

I used to think that I could find or obtain almost any ingredient living here in the NYC area, but after reading many of the recipes here, especially Yorky's, I'm a babe in the woods.

Bolognese is more of a pure meat flavored sauce with veggies, as far as I know. But to each his own, and all is well.

I used to think that I could find or obtain almost any ingredient living here in the NYC area, but after reading many of the recipes here, especially Yorky's, I'm a babe in the woods.

You probably can find most ingredients in NYC as I can here in the UK. But certain fresh vegetables or types of fish/meat are not possible. Mostly I can obtain ingredients on-line but if I want Morning Glory leaves (yes really) I don't think I'm going to find them here (although @Yorky might be able to get them).

I forgot that chili in the Bolognese doesn't exist...maybe in the Neapolitan version ( maybe)..And chicken stoke..well...I could put stoke if I haven't time to prepare the broth, but isn't anyway necessary. But if you are a chef that is writing an italian recipe on BBC website (read by an Italian), well....I'm doubtful...And fennel seeds I think he has confused the kind of sausage..in Italy we have a lot of version of sausage and one's of this is with fennel seeds inside.

Yesterday we went in a Neapolitan restaurant for dinner and I had the confirm that Neapolitan original ragu' must be cooked for 5 or 6 or 7 hours!
And this chef makes me laugh when I asked him " bolognese ragù not so long cooking.." He said: "bolognese ragù? What is? Never heard:D"... He was joking..
Ragù fight :laugh:

I made the Salcice sauce for the second time yesterday. Ah, but there was a key difference – I managed to get Italian sausage meat from an Italian delicatessen. But, much as I might hate to give Morning Glory the satisfaction of being right, it wasn’t all that I might have hoped it would be. Firstly, though the sausage meat was genuinely rusk free, it wasn’t seasoning free. Secondly, it wasn’t in the form of sausage meat, it was actual sausages of which I had to break the skin and extract the meat. That’s not a problem you say. Well, I suppose not really, except for the third, and actually the biggest problem. They were not exactly fresh. They were frozen. And when I say frozen, I mean, they were like a brick. I could have used them as a murder weapon and then served them to the detective when he came a calling. And you see, the problem was that we bought them mid-afternoon yesterday. I originally had a plan to try to get the rose veal for tea last night, but there was a problem with that – of which more later. So then I decided to go the Italian Delicatessen I had found in the hope of buying fresh Italian sausage meat. When I decided that I would buy it even though it was frozen, what I had in mind was that I would do it another day after defrosting it and that I would do something else for tea yesterday evening. But my wife assured me that she could solve the problem. It was one of those situations where it was better that I didn’t know about what happened. So I went out running other errands and when I came back there was a plateful of lovely soft sausages ready to start preparing. As I say, I’m not exactly sure what happened, but I have to suspect that there was – I’m going to have to say it – a microwave oven involved. I’m pretty sure that there were no microwave ovens involved when Rick Stein did it…

Anyway, the problem with the rose veal. Classic33 mentioned a farm shop ‘just’ north of me. I found a farm shop near Chorley that could be considered ‘just’ North of me. That’s where I was thinking of going, until I checked up and discovered that the place Classic33 was referring to is nearer to Kendal. That’s a good hour’s drive north of me. I’ll get the rose veal online.

fennel seeds? Why? Never saw.

Interesting. The TV program I mentioned did seem to suggest that fennel seeds are actually quite a common ingredient in Italian dishes. And it even explained what the intention of using them is, and it has nothing to do with sweetness. It was said that adding fennel seeds make the dish ‘lighter’.

Interesting. The TV program I mentioned did seem to suggest that fennel seeds are actually quite a common ingredient in Italian dishes. And it even explained what the intention of using them is, and it has nothing to do with sweetness. It was said that adding fennel seeds make the dish ‘lighter’.

Oh my gosh :facepalm:.... fennel seeds are not an our common ingredient in Italian dishes..in some soup (maybe), or with other ingredient to make taralli or in the sausages with them....Oh yes, they are great as digestive to eat after a heavy lunch...

Anyway, the problem with the rose veal. Classic33 mentioned a farm shop ‘just’ north of me. I found a farm shop near Chorley that could be considered ‘just’ North of me. That’s where I was thinking of going, until I checked up and discovered that the place Classic33 was referring to is nearer to Kendal. That’s a good hour’s drive north of me. I’ll get the rose veal online.
Shop I mean is within cycling distance of Bolton. Last time there I walked back to the town centre.

I can only speak from experience with Italian American dishes having never been to Italy. However, a specific type of what is called "sweet Italian" sausage here almost always has fennel seed in it. You have to look around to find it without the fennel. I think it's also called luganiga.

There are lots of fresh Italian sausages, of course, like cotechino, fontanini, and so on which do not have fennel seed.

Back
Top Bottom