Dippy eggs in the news

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:17 PM
Pregnant women, babies and elderly people can now safely eat runny or even raw eggs under new advice issued by the government’s food safety watchdog almost 30 years after the UK salmonella crisis.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said it had revised its advice after a “thorough and robust” review of new scientific evidence found that those vulnerable to infection could now safely eat raw or lightly cooked eggs – provided they were produced under the British Lion code of practice – without risking their health.

“We know that the previous advice has deterred many women from eating eggs when pregnant, and from giving them to their babies, as well as denying older people the pleasure and nutritional benefits of a ‘dippy egg’ and home-made mousses and mayonnaise,” said Andrew Joret, chair of the British Egg Industry Council, which runs the British Lion scheme.

Source: egg-safety-weve-cracked-it-britons-told-by-food-watchdog

That is good news, even though I can't stand lightly cooked eggs. I knew someone in the early 1990s who was quite poorly for several months after eating an infected egg. He worked in the food industry (ran a village shop that sold home-made and freshly cooked food, as well as a B&B), and it was a long time before he was allowed to have any contact with cooking or serving food to customers, especially if that food contained eggs. It wasn't just the people who ate eggs who were affected by all this.

I know that you've more than likely seen it before but I couldn't resist....

boiled eggs s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom