'Dish of the Month (August) suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they would be deep fried testicles. Or deep fried (insert breed of animal) balls.

noun
plural noun: croquettes
  1. a small ball or roll of vegetables, minced meat, or fish, fried in breadcrumbs.
    "a potato croquette"
I've seen them square, rectangular, cylindrical...and all were called croquettes. It's the US.

Great contributions! So far we have the following viable suggestions from members participating in this thread:
  • Wartime recipes
  • Croquettes (includes appetiser balls) (2 positive mentions)
  • Ice-cream or ice lollies (popsicles)
  • Bread (2 positive mentions)
  • Grilled vegetables (2 positive mentions)
  • Macaroni cheese (2 positive mentions)
  • Egg rolls/spring rolls
  • Pickled/fermented foods

I'll leave this thread open until midday August 1st (UK time). Please don't add any more suggestions as I think we have enough! Please add your support for any of the above. If there is no clear majority of 'positive mentions' for any of the above, I'll put the most positive mentioned to a quick poll.

Last edited:
Right before I read this, I read an email from the New York Times Cooking section...something I subscribe to as a cool way to get ideas for foods I will never cook, but want to cook. :) Today's email had this:

croquettes

Specifically, these beauties...eggplant croquettes:

View attachment 44236
Oh how funny. When we got on the subject of croquettes it didn't occur to me you had already posted this hahahaha! Because I had a "balls" mindset and wasn't thinking of them as croquettes. Ah well, it's a good idea to include both.

I guess I better be careful, I was also thinking of fried appetizer balls (like sauerkraut balls, broccoli-cheese-bacon balls, crabmeat balls, etc., pretty much any filling mixtures you want rolled in bread crumbs and then deep fried. But without making myself perfectly clear in advance about the fillings, mentioning appetizer balls could get all sorts of results that might not necessarily be appetizing to everyone!

I can see the forum title... "Show Us Your Balls."

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom