Dish of the month: Croquettes (any shape!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting. To elaborate, when I said my wife is from NY, she's from way up past Lake Placid, north of the Adirondacks, a good 8-hour drive due north of NYC, and just south of the US/Canada border. Their license plates stated in French "I will rember". We always hoped they would remember the way home! In WWII, the French were called "Frogs". We always called French Canadians "Gorfs", frog spelled backwards as they were backwards French.

French-Canadians come pouring into her town, especially in the summer, and it's the same kind of thing: the area benefits greatly from the tourism money, but the locals hate the F-C's with a passion. Funny thing is...read a phone book from her area, and it's 70% French names. They're all related! :laugh:

That is odd. The F-C's came to S. Florida (Hollywood and North Miami Beach) because it was cheap. Many servers at restaurants said they were poor tippers, if they left anything at all. I had some lady come into the dive shop I was working at in the early '80s asking me if I knew where the Society de Quebecious (sp) was, in broken English, "You know, where all the French Canadian's go."

I had two brothers from Quebec frequent the store. They were both "Professional" wrestlers there. One of them told me about an incident at his apartment building at home. The apartments were furnished. A family of Haitians moved into the apartment above his. After several weeks, he noticed his walls discoloring then becoming brown and moist. When he complained to the manager, it was discovered that the Haitians had moved all the furniture into the bedrooms, laid 12" of soil in the living room, planted crops, had goats and chickens. The brown stains on his wall were from the watering.

Last edited:
We have Knedla Bars here that serve all sorts of sweet ones like this my favorite.View attachment 44393
Burt - that looks wonderful.
caseydog I love Boudin with liver (sorry medtran49 ) I have eaten Boudin Balls but don't care for them. Too heavy for my taste. Crab Croquettes (small crab cakes) immediately came to mind when I saw the challenge. I took some chicken thighs out of the freezer so some chicken croquette will be my first attempt. We have lots of fish in the freezer so a fish croquette is on the horizon.

Salt cod croquettes - deep fried (which I haven’t done in over 20 years!).

It's the taste of the hush puppies I object to. Although I can definitely see how it could be made worse by being soggy and heavy. Chile Relleno's are whole chiles stuffed with cheese or something else, then dipped in batter deep fried. They are large and flattish, but everything else seems to meet the criteria.
Your Jalapeno croquette sounds amazing.

Never was fond of hush puppies either. Just sort of "there" - didn't hate them, but never sought them out. So many better things to eat...

I made these in a cake shape to pan fry in shallow oil. If you are deep frying any shape will do.

Recipe - Fish Croquettes
With Homemade Tartar Sauce.

I was very pleased with the end product. The Panko in the fish mixture was not even noticeable. I am not fond of a lot of bread crumbs inside the Croquette.

Parsnip croquettes, to accompany roast beef. Puréed roasted parsnip, combined with bechamel sauce (with added Gruyere cheese and Dijon mustard) and creamed horseradish. Floured, egged and rolled in panko breadcrumbs then deep fried.View attachment 44696

Nice idea - never occurred to me to use parsnips in a croquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom