Dish of the month (February 2022): Meatloaf (including plant based)

I decided to do a spin on the frosted meatloaf I talked about earlier; meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting:

So if anyone wants to hit two birds with one stone then make a terrine containing gelatine and you can enter it for the current 'recipe challenge' as well as posting it here.
I will. Just by chance I opened this thread, good that I did, had no idea terrine or aspic should be posted here to, or could.
I am trying to see your terrine, but cannot seem to find it?
I read a discussion on it, but do not see IT...

I will. Just by chance I opened this thread, good that I did, had no idea terrine or aspic should be posted here to, or could.
I am trying to see your terrine, but cannot seem to find it?
I read a discussion on it, but do not see IT...

The terrine photo is here. I've yet to write up the recipe...

Pork & spinach terrine with red onion and apple chutney. Lots of spices in there. It tastes great but I'm not happy with the texture. I used minced pork which was too low in fat.

View attachment 81331
Splendid! I never knew one could use ground meat for it...but, thinking now, why not...even chicken and fish I read...
Yours is better, at least it cuts. Mine is kind of ...you'll see...but it also tastes good.
Thanks<!

I'll try plating up tomorrow! Hubby did it today because I'd spent the afternoon in the veg plot trying to locate potatoes (long story) and was in the shower at the time. Homegrown spuds.

Changed the recipe slightly from last time, same quantities, but I didn't grate the carrot (chopped instead) and changed the teriyaki sauce to a marinade that was thicker (or vice versa)... left the tempeh chunkier as well. cooked for 1½hrs in the oven and the served cold because it was a warmer day, so cold sauce as well.

In the UK, head cheese/souse is known as brawn but I think its basically the same thing:

Brawn recipe by Ed Smith - Borough Market
Yes, I have seen it called brawn in UK recipes. Most of those recipes use little if any vinegar (of those I have run into).

I thought that REAL head cheese was illegal in the US. :scratchhead:

CD
No - it is lungs that are illegal in the US. You can eat head meat. In fact, if you get hot dogs and sausages, most brands will include meat from the head. It may be illegal in some areas of the US to use cattle brains, and in fact most head cheese won't include brains anyway -- too soft and mushy. You'll find tongue and cheek and jaw meat for sure in head cheese. As well as the meat around the eye sockets - eyes themselves don't appear to be used. PS - I have yet to run into head cheese without meat from the tongue - you can tell when you see it. I have not heard of using shoulder meat in this.

Head cheese, as in the above recipe, will also often include trotters, for the increase of collagen/gelatin factor.

Yes, I have seen it called brawn in UK recipes. Most of those recipes use little if any vinegar (of those I have run into).

No - it is lungs that are illegal in the US. You can eat head meat. In fact, if you get hot dogs and sausages, most brands will include meat from the head. It may be illegal in some areas of the US to use cattle brains, and in fact most head cheese won't include brains anyway -- too soft and mushy. You'll find tongue and cheek and jaw meat for sure in head cheese. As well as the meat around the eye sockets - eyes themselves don't appear to be used. PS - I have yet to run into head cheese without meat from the tongue - you can tell when you see it. I have not heard of using shoulder meat in this.

Head cheese, as in the above recipe, will also often include trotters, for the increase of collagen/gelatin factor.

Yeah, I think it is the brain part that is illegal. I think it had something to do with the Mad Cow Disease thing way back when. I know cheeks an tongue are okay, and readily available.

CD

Back
Top Bottom