Dish of the month (February 2022): Meatloaf (including plant based)

Not pretty ones! Note the gelatine. Its for the current challenge. This is the best unsliced photo I have. I don't really like posting photos I'm not happy about :ohmy: :

View attachment 81339
It's fine MG. Personally when something looks placed or too perfect it reminds me of overhandled food. Might be a reason I take molecular gastronomy with a grain of salt, while some of the technique is interesting most is theater and I personally feel it distracts from the eating experience......has it survived the test of time, that's a question that can be telling. imo

Anyway, the terrine looks great but your right it looks dry. Was that by design? the lack of fat and if so, why.

It's fine MG. Personally when something looks placed or too perfect it reminds me of overhandled food. Might be a reason I take molecular gastronomy with a grain of salt, while some of the technique is interesting most is theater and I personally feel it distracts from the eating experience......has it survived the test of time, that's a question that can be telling. imo

Anyway, the terrine looks great but your right it looks dry. Was that by design? the lack of fat and if so, why.

Its simply that the pork I used was low fat (it was 5%). It was what I had and I knew as I was making the terrine, it was wrong!
MG you are too critical of your work. Why have you not posted the recipe in the Recipe Challange? Please do so. It really is lovely.

Because I haven't written the recipe up yet!

Well, I just entered a different sort of meatloaf into the gelatin (gelatine) challenge:

Head Cheese / Souse.

It is formed into a loaf, and it does contain meat (no cheese).

Dad and I used to stop by the shop below, midway along Route 78 in Pennsylvania, very much a focal center of Pennsylvania Dutch settlers.

cleanedbrains.jpg

Alas with that ancient camera device, one can't read the writing. It DOES say Cleaned Brains in that list somewhere. There are also Rocky Mountain Oysters at the bottom of that list, which you can read if you squint.

They differentiated between souse and head cheese, although for many there's a strong overlap. Their souse (also a loaf) was more chopped, and more suitable to pan frying after cooking than their head cheese - which having so much gelatin would essentially melt apart into fragments in a fry pan. Normally, one would make and cook the head cheese in loaf form, then eat it cold.

Well, I just entered a different sort of meatloaf into the gelatin (gelatine) challenge:

Head Cheese / Souse.

Dad and I used to stop by the shop below, midway along Route 78 in Pennsylvania, very much a focal center of Pennsylvania Dutch settlers.

View attachment 81452
Alas with that ancient camera device, one can't read the writing. It DOES say Cleaned Brains in that list somewhere. There are also Rocky Mountain Oysters at the bottom of that list, which you can read if you squint.

They differentiated between souse and head cheese, although for many there's a strong overlap. Their souse (also a loaf) was more chopped, and more suitable to pan frying than their head cheese - which having so much gelatin would essentially melt apart into fragments in a fry pan.
I was just looking at some souse yesterday!

Head Cheese / Souse.

View attachment 81452

They differentiated between souse and head cheese, although for many there's a strong overlap. Their souse (also a loaf) was more chopped, and more suitable to pan frying after cooking than their head cheese - which having so much gelatin would essentially melt apart into fragments in a fry pan. Normally, one would make and cook the head cheese in loaf form, then eat it cold.

In the UK, head cheese/souse is known as brawn but I think its basically the same thing:

Brawn recipe by Ed Smith - Borough Market

Head Cheese / Souse.

View attachment 81452

I thought that REAL head cheese was illegal in the US. :scratchhead:

CD

I thought that REAL head cheese was illegal in the US. :scratchhead:

CD
I do not know about the legality. A consumer can purchase a head from a slaughterhouse - ordered in advance. Most commercial head cheese is made from pork shoulder and pigs' feet (for the gelatin) and other scrap pork. I remember dad making head cheese using a head and pigs' feet. It was an all-day endeavor. Well worth the effort.
I do know of one market that makes head cheese with the pig head and feet.

Back
Top Bottom