Dish of the month (February 2022): Meatloaf (including plant based)

Haslet means something different in the US, but the British version appears to be a meatloaf, for sure.

CD

noun: meatloaf
  1. ground or chopped meat, usually beef, with added seasonings, molded into the shape of a loaf and baked.
    That definition sort of clears it up for me, but I´ll leave it to the boss:D:D
But people who observe lent often eat seafood on Fridays and state they can't have meat during lent on Fridays. I am not Catholic so I really don't know. To me, meat comes from an animal (and vegan substitutes usually taste like land animals).

The boss hopefully is getting some much needed rest this evening.

Last edited:
But people who observe lent often eat seafood on Fridays and state they can't have meat during lent on Fridays. I am not Catholic so I really don't know. To me, meat comes from an animal (and vegan substitutes usually taste like land animals).

The boss hopefully is getting some much needed rest this evening.

I can't think of any reason that a seafood meatloaf would not be okay for this thread. It is not a competition, and I know I would like to "sea" what you come up with.

CD

I can't think of any reason that a seafood meatloaf would not be okay for this thread. It is not a competition, and I know I would like to "sea" what you come up with.

CD

Since this is non-competitive, there are no particular rules. Members are free to interpret 'meatloaf' in any way they wish in terms of ingredients. Obviously if the end result doesn't even resemble a loaf of some sort then it probably doesn't belong in this thread.

Now you can all debate what constitutes a loaf shape... :)

Here is the smoked meatloaf I made a few days ago. The meat is a 50/50 mix of ground pork and ground beef (chuck). The binders are eggs and bread crumbs. The seasonings are dried chopped onions, dried oregano and black pepper. I free form the loaf and use a sheetpan instead of a loaf pan. Into the fridge for a couple hours to firm up and for the dried ingredients to hydrate. Onto a grill/bbq set up for indirect cooking, using charcoal and hickory wood chunks for the fire. It takes about an hour to cook.

Cooked and plated (check out the smoke ring) with some cheesy potatoes...

MeatloafPlated.jpg

Raw loaf after a rest in the fridge...

Meatloaf1.jpg

On the grill (Weber Kettle)...

Meatloaf2.jpg

CD

Chef John (Food Wishes) did a YouTube video in the last week for meatloaf using Beyond Beef plant based ground... stuff. I haven't watched it, but the vegetarians and vegans may be interested.

CD

Chef John (Food Wishes) did a YouTube video in the last week for meatloaf using Beyond Beef plant based ground... stuff. I haven't watched it, but the vegetarians and vegans may be interested.

CD
A friend of mine ate the burgers a couple of times. I don't know if it's true for everyone, but he had digestive issues each time after doing so. Good thing he works from home.

Back
Top Bottom