Dish of the month (February 2022): Meatloaf (including plant based)

A friend of mine ate the burgers a couple of times. I don't know if it's true for everyone, but he had digestive issues each time after doing so. Good thing he works from home.

I ate one at a gourmet burger joint. It was good, and I had no issues, but it was expensive, and not as good as a real beef burger, so I haven't had one since. That same place also had "adult milkshakes." I ate at the bar, since I was alone, and the bartender gave me a small one to try. Oh yeah! I'd go back just for one of those milkshakes.

CD

Normally I don't post recipes multiple times in different threads, but because Morning Glory said the other meatloaf thread couldn't be merged with this one here's my contribution to this monthly thread.
Retro Recipe - My mom's meatloaf

Meat Loaf is a wonderful comfort food. A plate of meat loaf, green peas and creamed potatoes is a childhood memory of warmth and love.
Leftover meat loaf was an after-school sandwich.
JAS_OH1 you sound insistent on a seafood loaf. Morning Glory has left the rules rather loose. The criteria are that it must be a loaf, not a cake or a ball. You live very far from any coast. If you are willing to spend lots of $$$ to make a seafood loaf more power to you. Morning Glory may clarify. To my mind a loaf should contain 85% to 90% of the primary protein, the remainder can be filler. I look forward to your crab loaf.

Meat Loaf is a wonderful comfort food. A plate of meat loaf, green peas and creamed potatoes is a childhood memory of warmth and love.
Leftover meat loaf was an after-school sandwich.
JAS_OH1 you sound insistent on a seafood loaf. Morning Glory has left the rules rather loose. The criteria are that it must be a loaf, not a cake or a ball. You live very far from any coast. If you are willing to spend lots of $$$ to make a seafood loaf more power to you. Morning Glory may clarify. To my mind a loaf should contain 85% to 90% of the primary protein, the remainder can be filler. I look forward to your crab loaf.

There are no rules. Its non competitive and it really doesn't matter. Its not even up to me! I said it should probably be loaf shaped to be a bit provocative! I thought it would be amusing to see what people think a loaf shape is. I've seen meatloaf in rissole and burger shapes as well as daft cartoon shapes. I remember one which was a Scotch egg with meatloaf as the exterior.

And of course there are mini loaf tins as I think JAS_OH1 mentioned which are perfect if you want to use expensive ingredients.

On a cultural note, meatloaf is not really a popular thing in the UK. You would be hard pushed to find it on a cafe, restaurant or pub menu and my guess is that the majority of cooks here haven't ever made one. I think I possibly made one once more years ago than I care to remember. I don't think many in the UK would consider it traditional comfort food.

This is not a criticism of its popularity in the US - simply an observation.

On a cultural note, meatloaf is not really a popular thing in the UK. You would be hard pushed to find it on a cafe, restaurant or pub menu and my guess is that the majority of cooks here haven't ever made one. I think I possibly made one once more years ago than I care to remember. I don't think many in the UK would consider it traditional comfort food.

This is not a criticism of its popularity in the US - simply an observation.

Here is a Wikipedia link on meatloaf. It dates back to the latter part of the Roman Empire. :ohmy:

You Brits have your own form of meatloaf with Haslet.

Click this link. It is not a lot of reading, but very interesting. Meatloaf - Wikipedia

CD

You Brits have your own form of meatloaf with Haslet.

Haslet is a very little know thing these days. You can buy it (or used to be able to) in a few places but I doubt anyone under 45 even knows what it is. I could be wrong - maybe its all the rage up North but I don't think so. At this point I will take a short break to text my youngest son (he is 32)....

He says he has never heard of it.

The only way I've come across it (not recently) is served cold in slices. In fact, the last time I bought it was in slices from the deli counter of the supermarket.

Last edited:
No Elizabeth, what I am insistent on is not making a meatloaf with ground beef. I never said i was going to make a meatloaf at all. Period.

Seafood isn't much more expensive than beef. I can get jumbo shrimp on sale for $8 a pound. Steak costs more than that. I never eat ground chuck or regular ground beef anyway, if you've ever seen postings of my burgers you will note they are always ground filet mignon. I make pasta sauce with t-bone steaks, lamb, and pork tenderloin.

And in these modern times, living far from the coast is no big deal, although you are forgetting that Ohio is on the north coast. I live 40 miles from lake Erie and in the summer we go fishing.

I can get good seafood easily and like I posted previously, I have it on hand. In my freezer i have 4 pounds of shrimp, 1 pound of crab, 2 pounds of scallops, and about 10 pounds of different kinds of fish (walleye, grouper, Mahi Mahi, perch and Chilean seabass). I didn't spend a fortune in it, I bought it when it was on sale.
No, I want to see a two pound loaf of jumbo-lump crabcake. It shouldn't cost more than a couple-hundred bucks. :hungry:

CD
I wouldn't make a 2 pound loaf of anything, ever. I have mini loaf pans. I don't know where you buy your seafood but it doesn't cost $100 a pound here...you're getting ripped off. And BTW, you're the one who said crab (I buy it for $13 a pound when its on sale). I said seafood, not any specific type.

Please don't be concerned about my finances, people. I'm living quite comfortably, thank you. I like to eat more seafood than land animals and I can afford it.

No Elizabeth, what I am insistent on is not making a meatloaf with ground beef. I never said i was going to make a meatloaf at all. Period.

Seafood isn't much more expensive than beef. I can get jumbo shrimp on sale for $8 a pound. Steak costs more than that. I never eat ground chuck or regular ground beef anyway, if you've ever seen postings of my burgers you will note they are always ground filet mignon. I make pasta sauce with t-bone steaks, lamb, and pork tenderloin.

And in these modern times, living far from the coast is no big deal, although you are forgetting that Ohio is on the north coast. I live 40 miles from lake Erie and in the summer we go fishing.

I can get good seafood easily and like I posted previously, I have it on hand. In my freezer i have 4 pounds of shrimp, 1 pound of crab, 2 pounds of scallops, and about 10 pounds of different kinds of fish (walleye, grouper, Mahi Mahi, perch and Chilean seabass). I didn't spend a fortune in it, I bought it when it was on sale.

I wouldn't make a 2 pound loaf of anything, ever. I have mini loaf pans. I don't know where you buy your seafood but it doesn't cost $100 a pound here...you're getting ripped off. And BTW, you're the one who said crab (I buy it for $13 a pound when its on sale). I said seafood, not any specific type.

Please don't be concerned about my finances, people. I'm living quite comfortably, thank you. I like to eat more seafood than land animals and I can afford it.

Just an observation, cheap seafood is often farm raised in countries with little or no regulations.

CD

Back
Top Bottom