Dish of the month (February 2022): Meatloaf (including plant based)

My mother in law makes a meatloaf everyone loves.

I grate zucchini & carrot into the mix along with the onions in the original recipe. Plus we serve it hot with mashed potato & steamed veg.

When I say everyone loves it I mean it. I posted it 20 years ago on the Jamie Oliver forums and some blogger stole it & published without crediting it. I had it removed eventually.

It’s also a fantastic sandwich filler but my favourite way to eat the leftovers is as a breakfast burger - with an egg & cheese. So good.

If I get a chance I’ll make it before the end of the month.

I just posted the pork meatloaf recipe. You can find it here.

The beef and sweet potato one did have egg in it. But yes, I'd like to make a new variant that's a bit more solid, and still without the breading. Since the pork one worked, I know it's not going to be impossible.

Yeah, I think you should keep working on that meat and sweet potato variant. I think it has potential, if you can find a way to firm it up.

CD

Now your'e talkin' my language. :hungry: Hold the carrots on mine.:laugh:

CD
Ditto, no carrots here for me...or sweet taters. Those don't taste similar to you?

Interestingly, I don't mind cooked carrots if they are cooked in a dish like pot roast or in soup, but for the most part, no está bien. Love them raw, however.

Now your'e talkin' my language. :hungry: Hold the carrots on mine.:laugh:

CD
Mate you won’t know they are in there!

That’s why they are in there. My son was a terrible eater so micro grated veg went in to everything.

This meatloaf is baked then a spicy BBQ sauce is dumped over it and it goes back in the oven for 30 minutes. None of the kids knew my dirty little secret.

Ditto, no carrots here for me...or sweet taters. Those don't taste similar to you?

Interestingly, I don't mind cooked carrots if they are cooked in a dish like pot roast or in soup, but for the most part, no está bien. Love them raw, however.

Same. Either invisible (micro grated) or chunks cooked low & slow in a dish or raw.

I did have some cooked over fire and served on a bed of tahini sauce and sprinkled with dukkah at a fancy restaurant a couple of years ago that were excellent though.

However steamed/boil with butter etc. not something I choose to eat.

A very popular item around here is ham loaf, always topped with canned pineapple rings and maraschino cherries. Every self-respecting church-going lady has her own recipe, and every butcher shop and deli make their own in-house.

I can’t bring one to my legion hall do, though, because ham loaf may be a loaf of meat, but it ain’t “meatloaf,” if you catch my meaning.

A very popular item around here is ham loaf, always topped with canned pineapple rings and maraschino cherries. Every self-respecting church-going lady has her own recipe, and every butcher shop and deli make their own in-house.

I can’t bring one to my legion hall do, though, because ham loaf may be a loaf of meat, but it ain’t “meatloaf,” if you catch my meaning.
UGH. I think I have seen that before. Shudder.

Now that you mention it, I remember eating ham loaf with pineapple at least once when I lived up there. The fact that you had to mention it for me to remember it should say a lot. It wasn't good enough to remember, or bad enough to remember.

CD

Now that you mention it, I remember eating ham loaf with pineapple at least once when I lived up there. The fact that you had to mention it for me to remember it should say a lot. It wasn't good enough to remember, or bad enough to remember.

CD
Not as memorable as tarragon in your panty, I guess.

I think I saw the ham loaf but didn't eat it.

Back
Top Bottom