Dish of the month (February 2022): Meatloaf (including plant based)

Now, I grew up hating Meatloaf. It's not just ground meat formed into loaves, it has extenders in it. Breadcrumbs, or more recently, panko.

But, back ten years ago more or less, I ended up in a meatshare - each month we got a bolus of meat, which always included around 4 pounds of ground beef. I got tired of making burgers or sloppy joe's or even stuffed peppers, and decided to re-visit meatloaf. At that point I was also on the Paleo food plan - no grains.

But, I didn't want to make just a solid loaf of ground beef or pork (with seasonings and a few chopped onions) - so I had fun experimenting.
My meatloaves, without any grains whatsoever, were actually TASTY and enjoyable! (Dad had always made well-seasoned meatloaves, and I loved that aspect of that dish at his hands - turns out I hate the emphasis on GRAINS!) I then branched out to trying this with ground pork, too.

SO: I made the following -

)
View attachment 80422
Tender pork meatloaf with cauliflower, apple and fennel, topped with applesauce and fennel sprigs.

The other dish didn't photograph as well, but here we are, two photos:

View attachment 80423
Serve with lettuce, or other green veggies, raw or steamed.

View attachment 80424
Beef Meatloaf with Sweet Potato and Seasonings (that work with sweet potatoes). You could top the loaf with ketchup if you actually like that stuff.

One of the benefits of using veggies instead of grains is one avoids that "dry and bland" non-taste that the grains impart. I may no longer be Paleo, but I think my meatloaf has improved vastly because of it.

I love it - comments in the Recipe thread.

Ditto, no carrots here for me...or sweet taters. Those don't taste similar to you?

Interestingly, I don't mind cooked carrots if they are cooked in a dish like pot roast or in soup, but for the most part, no está bien. Love them raw, however.

Same. Either invisible (micro grated) or chunks cooked low & slow in a dish or raw.

I did have some cooked over fire and served on a bed of tahini sauce and sprinkled with dukkah at a fancy restaurant a couple of years ago that were excellent though.

However steamed/boil with butter etc. not something I choose to eat.

Carrots are only good if well cooked into nothing, or into a mirepoix. I use shredded carrots for that. (I could grate them myself but I keep reminding myself about how much I dislike them and so never getting around to expending the effort. Spend a little more and buy them pre-shredded. Oh, and I especially don't like them RAW! (But I've enjoyed a good carrot cake in the past, mainly because they don't tend to be made as sweet as most cakes are, and the frosting is usually edible, too. )

I don't think sweet potatoes and carrots taste at all alike. Same color is not the same thing.

Weirdly, I like parsnips. But a little goes a long way.

This might sound daft but what exactly is meatloaf?
I dunno if it's because I'm from the uk or if it's because I'm from Stoke in the uk but I've never actually seen meatloaf, let alone eaten it.
I've wondered a few times but not enough to Google it.

This might sound daft but what exactly is meatloaf?
I dunno if it's because I'm from the uk or if it's because I'm from Stoke in the uk but I've never actually seen meatloaf, let alone eaten it.
I've wondered a few times but not enough to Google it.
Here ya go:

Meatloaf - Wikipedia

I like the blurb about it being the seventh most popular dish in the US.

Posting that Wikipedia link was brilliant. I wish I would have thought of it. Oh, wait... :facepalm:

CD

I did note it. It was appreciated and in fact (although Wiki is not always correct in its info) I was going to cut and paste that list of meatloaf varieties across the world, because it could spark off ideas for this thread.

Back
Top Bottom