Dishwasher/washing Habits

Reading the above I'm thinking that delivery/installation in the UK for dishwashers, fridges and washing machines etc. is for some reason far better than in the USA. I can get next day delivery (or within 3 days) on all the above with no problem. :scratchhead:

Example - I just took this screenshot and today is the 19th April:

Reading the above I'm thinking that delivery/installation in the UK for dishwashers, fridges and washing machines etc. is for some reason far better than in the USA. I can get next day delivery (or within 3 days) on all the above with no problem. :scratchhead:

View attachment 83920
Here, that “delivery as soon as…” date can come with a lot of conditions. It’s no guarantee of delivery.

Normally, it’s not an issue. It’s largely down to supply chain problems and/or worker shortages. I don’t think I’ve ever waited more than a few days for an appliance or furniture delivery, and any delay was probably on my part.

Now, what I’ve been having a real issue with is repair people. There seems to be a real shortage in that, and I have a hard time getting people to even call me back, and if they do call me back, they’ll say, “I’ll be out there on Monday,” then they don’t show, and I’ll finally call them again, go through the whole waiting thing, and then they’ll tell me, “Sorry, it’s just been very busy and I’m behind.”

Everything is hitting at once right now, and I’m waiting on an electrician (who texted me twice that he’d call me last week to set up a time), a plumber, an appliance repair guy, and our furnace guy has already rescheduled once after standing me up last week.

View attachment 83920

We never had a problem like this until Covid put a kink in the supply chain. Then, the demand for new appliances and furniture went up as people were stuck at home. It was a perfect storm. It's getting better in places like Dallas, but out where K-Girl lives, it is probably still pretty bad.

CD

You can get a new dishwasher within the next day or so in the UK, but only if you're happy to order whatever happens to be in stock. I waited a little over 8 months for my new dishwasher. Hopefully things are a little bit better now, but they aren't totally back to normal yet.

In my case I'd carefully researched which model I wanted for its specific features, but everywhere it was on back order, expected in a month or so. I ordered in September 2020 and it was finally delivered in May 2021: due to Covid no stock was getting through so the date just kept slipping and slipping. The shop were great and kept me informed, offered a refund if I didn't want to wait etc...but there was no point because nowhere else had it either and I wasn't willing to compromise on the features. I guess we were lucky though that our old dishwasher was still working so there was no particular urgency, probably I'd have been less fussy if the old one had broken down!

Well hells bells!
I guess my saga does continue ... after that first run on "half load" was done, I hit the "off" button and opened the door.
The inside was so wet, I thought there's a new fangled drying process that Bosch has and it's suppose to be bone dry?
I can't look this up on the Bosch site, `cuz now I have last night's and this mornings dishes going ... :(

Well hells bells!
I guess my saga does continue ... after that first run on "half load" was done, I hit the "off" button and opened the door.
The inside was so wet, I thought there's a new fangled drying process that Bosch has and it's suppose to be bone dry?
I can't look this up on the Bosch site, `cuz now I have last night's and this mornings dishes going ... :(
No idea, but I know that after the "dry"cycle my dishes are never dry, never have been in any dishwasher I ever had. Mostly it's pooling in the indents on the bottom of glasses and any plastic I put in the top of the dishwasher, so I have a drying rack on one side of my sink that I usually just use for handwashing pans/knives/miscellaneous delicate items that I will use to allow the plastic to finish drying, and I dump the water from the indents of the glasses in the sink and put them back in the top rack. Then I close the dishwasher door most of the way, leaving it open a crack for water to evaporate. After an hour or two I can put the stuff away. Or sometimes I just take a clean kitchen towel and hand dry everything, which does make glassware (especially wine glasses) and flatware spot free.

Well hells bells!
Stupid question, but it was completely through the cycle? I’m asking because I have a (much older) Bosch, and I don’t have to hit the off button, it shuts off automatically. I’m wondering if you turned it off and opened it during the drying cycle. Did you get a big puff of steam when you opened it?

On mine, it has a countdown that displays, and that includes drying time. The countdown will show “0” when it’s done, and a little “Sanitized” like will be on.

Is it possible that the half-cycle you ran doesn’t include the drying cycle? If it’s a short cycle, that could be it.

Like JAS says, though, even with the drying cycle, my dishes are mostly, but not completely, dry. There’s still water pooled anywhere that has an indentation for water to settle in.

Stupid question, but it was completely through the cycle? I’m asking because I have a (much older) Bosch, and I don’t have to hit the off button, it shuts off automatically. I’m wondering if you turned it off and opened it during the drying cycle. Did you get a big puff of steam when you opened it?

On mine, it has a countdown that displays, and that includes drying time. The countdown will show “0” when it’s done, and a little “Sanitized” like will be on.

Is it possible that the half-cycle you ran doesn’t include the drying cycle? If it’s a short cycle, that could be it.

Like JAS says, though, even with the drying cycle, my dishes are mostly, but not completely, dry. There’s still water pooled anywhere that has an indentation for water to settle in.
Yeah, mine has a lit up "clean" button when it's finished. If I'm home, I will sometimes open it during the dry cycle to dump water and then shut it to finish drying.

Last edited:
Looking at the manual, it looks like you may have to manually activate the drying option. That’s just taking a very quick look at it, but look at the troubleshooting section and there’s a bit about dishes not being dry.

Also, I noticed an “intensive drying” section in the manual, and it looks like you can set that as well.

I’ll look through it more later.

Well hells bells!

Mine is the same way. It is an energy saving thing. I just pop the door, the steam comes out, and it dries. I also haven't melted any plastic stuff in my Bosch.

I think some units do have a high temperature dry. Mine doesn't

CD

If I don't press the AIR REFRESHER button, the dishes won't dry. If I DO, then the dishes are bone dry!! There's a heating element somewhere in the machine that heats the water in the tub to sanitize the load & to dy it. Can't see it anywhere, but it's there. Otherwise, there would be no extra hot water & no heated dry air!! :whistling:

My Bosch is the basic 100 series, no bells and whistles.
I tried this morning to look up the owners manual on their website; it didn't exist!
I got so frustrated, I gave up and went to Walmart!
The second go around was better, I did the "half load" again and waited about 45 minutes before turning it off (there's no auto shut off) and opened the door.
This model has their new technique called Pure Dry:
Bosch | PureDry® | Dishwashers
I was going to call their 800# customer service number, but like I said, I was already frustrated ... walk away before you say something that you'll regret later :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom