Dishwasher/washing Habits

Here's my dishwasher, just finished:

...and yes, comments were made about running it at less than full.

What's the "it" they're doing? Why, running the dishwasher, of course. The ad is to convince people that running an energy-compliant dishwasher cycle is actually more efficient than washing a few dishes by hand, so even if it's not full, you should be "doing it" every night! :wink:

Yes - apparently it is more energy efficient in terms of water used than washing by hand.

Better to run it less than full, than to wait until it's full & something ends up stinking!!! :ninja::headshake:
That's a good reason for rinsing things before putting them in. One knife with a little garlic mayonnaise left on it, and opening the dishwasher will stink up half the house!

´m probably the only person here who hates dishwashers. With a passion.

No dishwasher here. I don't like them. My parents dishwasher as I was growing up made me have a loathing of them.

Also when we were living with my mum & her 3rd hubby just after finishing our attempt at cycling around the world, their dishwasher would make me ill. It took a while to work out what the problem was but it was the detergent & rinse aid they were using. If I made myself a glass of water, the glass would foam every so slightly initially when you ran the water into it. It would very quickly disappear, so if someone else did the glass of water for me, just the time from the sink to where I was in the sitting room (I had +100 stitches in my leg at the time) the foam would disappear. If I did the glass of water, I'd reuse my 'old' glass so the problem didn't happen. (Symptoms were upset tum before you ask which for me is exceptionally unusual).

Eventually, as I said, it was clear it was the dishwasher that was the source of the problem. Myself and slightly soapy dishes don't mix. It isn't the only time it has happened. Even in their new homes, I can taste the soap on the dishes. My mum says it's my imagination but it's funny how her "IBS" miraculously disappeared whilst they were stranded with us in Australia, despite us living on untreated, unfiltered rain water, and suddenly restarted within days of them getting back to the UK. The irony is that she insists on only drinking bottled water usually to the point where they have installed a water fountain thing in their home to "clean" the tap water. But for 6 months she had no problems whilst living on untreated & unfiltered water here.

So no dishwasher. Don't like them.
Plus we only use 1-2 very small washing up bowls of water per day (our washing up bowl is abnormally small making it hard to actually find one that fits our sink). Nothing is rinsed before or after washing here. To me, that's a huge waste of water. Something you have to be very aware of living on a private water supply totally dependent on it raining frequently and in quantity to ensure you can even flush the toilet. (It was the same in the UK, when we lived in the lake district, our water came directly off the mountains we lived on with only a tiny holding tank for sediment to settle and water to be filtered through. If it didn't rain for a week, that stream would start to run dry which meant no water. Several times we had to ship water in from our work place (luckily they understood).) So nothing will convince me that using a dishwasher uses less water than washing by hand, especially if you are pre-rinsing. Incidentally, there's a campaign by one of the major companies at present to stop people pre-rinsing dishes. They'll donate water to drought farmers for every person that pledges to stop pre-rinsing and who buys their product. No idea how it's being proven etc, not having one or ever considering needing to pre-rinse, I've not listened or looked into it.

It looks full enough to me.
See the plates to the right in the first photo? There's something like four empty slots there. That drives my wife crazy.

If I can remember, I'll have to hold off until she says it's full and take a pic...it'll have 2/3rds of the kitchen in it!

See the plates to the right in the first photo? There's something like four empty slots there. That drives my wife crazy.

If I can remember, I'll have to hold off until she says it's full and take a pic...it'll have 2/3rds of the kitchen in it!
I like to space my plates on the bottom apart. But if the top is full it has to be run.

I like to space my plates on the bottom apart. But if the top is full it has to be run.
Also, see that metal bowl to the left? If my wife were loading it, she'd make sure small things were put in there first (like that saucer, or a teacup) and the bowl put over that. She hates wasted space. She packs a suitcase or a car the same way.

I know that when a dishwasher is crammed full, it doesn't clean as well, so I'm ok with it half-full.

No dishwasher here. I don't like them. My parents dishwasher as I was growing up made me have a loathing of them.

Also when we were living with my mum & her 3rd hubby just after finishing our attempt at cycling around the world, their dishwasher would make me ill. It took a while to work out what the problem was but it was the detergent & rinse aid they were using. If I made myself a glass of water, the glass would foam every so slightly initially when you ran the water into it. It would very quickly disappear, so if someone else did the glass of water for me, just the time from the sink to where I was in the sitting room (I had +100 stitches in my leg at the time) the foam would disappear. If I did the glass of water, I'd reuse my 'old' glass so the problem didn't happen. (Symptoms were upset tum before you ask which for me is exceptionally unusual).

Eventually, as I said, it was clear it was the dishwasher that was the source of the problem. Myself and slightly soapy dishes don't mix. It isn't the only time it has happened. Even in their new homes, I can taste the soap on the dishes. My mum says it's my imagination but it's funny how her "IBS" miraculously disappeared whilst they were stranded with us in Australia, despite us living on untreated, unfiltered rain water, and suddenly restarted within days of them getting back to the UK. The irony is that she insists on only drinking bottled water usually to the point where they have installed a water fountain thing in their home to "clean" the tap water. But for 6 months she had no problems whilst living on untreated & unfiltered water here.

So no dishwasher. Don't like them.
Plus we only use 1-2 very small washing up bowls of water per day (our washing up bowl is abnormally small making it hard to actually find one that fits our sink). Nothing is rinsed before or after washing here. To me, that's a huge waste of water. Something you have to be very aware of living on a private water supply totally dependent on it raining frequently and in quantity to ensure you can even flush the toilet. (It was the same in the UK, when we lived in the lake district, our water came directly off the mountains we lived on with only a tiny holding tank for sediment to settle and water to be filtered through. If it didn't rain for a week, that stream would start to run dry which meant no water. Several times we had to ship water in from our work place (luckily they understood).) So nothing will convince me that using a dishwasher uses less water than washing by hand, especially if you are pre-rinsing. Incidentally, there's a campaign by one of the major companies at present to stop people pre-rinsing dishes. They'll donate water to drought farmers for every person that pledges to stop pre-rinsing and who buys their product. No idea how it's being proven etc, not having one or ever considering needing to pre-rinse, I've not listened or looked into it.
We've got a deep, sweet well. I hate the taste of "city" water. I always rinse my glass before using it, though never had stomach issues when at other people's houses that I can recall. Hubby and I generally reuse the same water cup for a few days in a row, we just rinse it out with hot water every night. It rains here all the time and we live near lakes, high water table here.

So nothing will convince me that using a dishwasher uses less water than washing by hand
It comes down to how a person hand washes. Just about anyone I've observed hand-wash dishes does so by turning the water on and leaving it running while washing things.

I used to be a "fill the sink" type hand washer, running the sink about half-full with hot sudsy water, then washing everything, then rinsing everything under the faucet.

Now, though, I'm a "run the faucet" type hand washer, and I have no doubt that uses a lot of water.

Also, see that metal bowl to the left? If my wife were loading it, she'd make sure small things were put in there first (like that saucer, or a teacup) and the bowl put over that. She hates wasted space. She packs a suitcase or a car the same way.

I know that when a dishwasher is crammed full, it doesn't clean as well, so I'm ok with it half-full.
Oh no, nothing double stacked in mine, travesty!

It comes down to how a person hand washes. Just about anyone I've observed hand-wash dishes does so by turning the water on and leaving it running while washing things.

I used to be a "fill the sink" type hand washer, running the sink about half-full with hot sudsy water, then washing everything, then rinsing everything under the faucet.

Now, though, I'm a "run the faucet" type hand washer, and I have no doubt that uses a lot of water.
That's my husband, runs the water.

I run it til it gets hot, then slightly wet the dish and soapy sponge, turn off the water, wash the item, then rinse in as hot of water as I can.

Back
Top Bottom