Dishwasher/washing Habits

That's my husband, runs the water.

I run it til it gets hot, then slightly wet the dish and soapy sponge, turn off the water, wash the item, then rinse in as hot of water as I can.
With me, there's no way on god's green earth I'm ever going to stand there and turn the water on and off and on and off. If I ever had to do that...I'd be eating off of paper plates first.

I remember back in the heady early days of Earth Day (where we're all supposed to be thinking of ways to save the planet), I read an article that said we should all get in the shower, turn it on (forget how cold that is), get wet all over, shut it off, lather up and wash, then turn it back on to rinse, and I thought, "If that's what it takes to save the planet, then I reckon we're doomed, because I'm sure as hell not doing that!" :laugh:

With me, there's no way on god's green earth I'm ever going to stand there and turn the water on and off and on and off. If I ever had to do that...I'd be eating off of paper plates first.

I remember back in the heady early days of Earth Day (where we're all supposed to be thinking of ways to save the planet), I read an article that said we should all get in the shower, turn it on (forget how cold that is), get wet all over, shut it off, lather up and wash, then turn it back on to rinse, and I thought, "If that's what it takes to save the planet, then I reckon we're doomed, because I'm sure as hell not doing that!" :laugh:
Well it's like 2 plates (if eating off the good plates) and 1-2 pans usually. No big deal, the rest goes in the dishwasher.

In Mexico that's what you should do. A lot of coastal houses have desalinization equipment and some have tanks that they come around and fill up weekly. You're out of water if you're not stingy with it. Course it's not cold there, either.

Last edited:
In Mexico that's what you should do. A lot of coastal houses have desalination equipment and some have tanks that they come around and fill up weekly. You're out if water if you're not stingy with it. Course it's not cold there, either.
Hence why I don't live in an area like that. I like my water on my terms! :laugh:

Hence why I don't live in an area like that. I like my water on my terms! :laugh:
Yeah, Arizona, Texas, California, and other SW states are drought stricken, you'll get fined for watering your grass or running the dishwasher at certain times. A lot of people opt for rocks and cactus in AZ.

Just about anyone I've observed hand-wash dishes does so by turning the water on and leaving it running while washing things.

That's not how either of us have ever done the dishes. Our washing up bowl is tiny. Just big enough to get a smaller dinner plate in flat.
For us the bowl is filled with water and a small amount of washing up liquid (which is bad for septic tanks anyway). Dishes are never rinsed. Never have been, even when we lived in the UK with a more reliable supply of water.

We shower in a big tub to soak our feet. All water is collected in that. We get one tub worth of water each per shower. The tub is one of those cheap flexi tubs that traditionally are used in equine environments but handy in the garden as well. We don't turn the water off whilst showering but do once the tub is full as that's our quota. But as a rule we both know that is roughly 5 minutes. Wash and conditioner in hair.

I guess living off rain water in a country prone to drought and also have lived for a year on the road where the only water we have access to was what was on our bikes, we're much more economical with water than most.

At our last rental house in Australia, we had 2 tanks of rain water. One was the standard 22,000 litre tank and the other a much smaller emergency tank of 3,000 litres. Both of us could live off that for everything (including toilet flushing and 2 loads in the washing machine) for 10 days before it ran dry and at that place there was a water pump so the water came out of the shower with a lot more pressure than the one we live at currently (which is gravity fed from a maximum of perhaps 5m through very small pipes).
Tbh, we were surprised that we used as much as 300 liters of water a day between us because when cycling, we rarely had more than 10 litres between us daily (but that didn't count sanitation, showing or clothes washing.)

Ok, I just did a completely unscientific science experiment.

I turned my water on at the sink at the rate I like for doing dishes. I captured it and counted the time with my phone, and determined that water was flowing from my tap at 10 cups a minute.

Then I washed these dishes, plus a big wooden cutting board not shown, and timed how long that took:

End result: 5.9 gallons of water to wash the dishes and the board.

Then a check of my dishwasher manual to see their chart of water usage per cycle. I use the longest, most powerful cycle, and that uses...6.4 gallons of water.

I don't put everything I own in a DW. Real kitchen knives (not the table knives) never go in. Veggie peelers never go in. Cast iron (I mean the nekkid cast iron, not the enamel coated types) never go in. Wood never goes in. h, and none of my chopsticks ever go into the DW, whether the regular lacquered wood Chinese ones or even the metal Korean ones. Fine glassware is seldom used here - especially since COVID - but that gets hand-washed.

That being said, when I picked out the appliances for this house, I went with the cheapest DW with a good service record, and back at my old home, when the old DW broke down, I had no issues with doing everything by hand (until eventually I had to replace it for home sale purposes - which I did with a basic.)

I guess I got trained by my mother well. We always rinsed dishes before they went into the DW unless it just held some cut veggies with no grease spots or crumbs. I still do. I don't scrub them (unless there's baked-on cheese or such) I wonder where all those "oorts" and bits of leftovers go and get trapped in the plumbing system under the counter. So, not wanting to find out, I rinse.

I didn't put down money on a Bosch. Mine's a Whirlpool.

My primary reason for a Bosch is that I have an open kitchen, right next to the living room. When my Bosch is running, I can't hear it from 3 feet away, let alone in the next room.

Mine is 21 years old this month. I can put liquor glasses in it now. :wink:

CD

My primary reason for a Bosch is that I have an open kitchen, right next to the living room. When my Bosch is running, I can't hear it from 3 feet away, let alone in the next room.

CD
I'll agree. That dishwasher is whisper quiet.

Yeah, Arizona, Texas, California, and other SW states are drought stricken, you'll get fined for watering your grass or running the dishwasher at certain times. A lot of people opt for rocks and cactus in AZ.
Here In Northern Arizona, it's quite lovely and lush, not to mention that we're too high up for cacti.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG10scSoE3Y

We use to live right on the rim of this canyon, it's stunning!

In North Texas, it is outdoor watering at the wrong time and on the wrong days that will get you a hefty fine.

CD

Here In Northern Arizona, it's quite lovely and lush, not to mention that we're too high up for cacti.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG10scSoE3Y

We use to live right on the rim of this canyon, it's stunning!
I've been there! My cousins and aunt live in Phoenix but my aunt has a vacation home up there. We used it for a launching pad to go hopping around to Sedona, Show Low, Mormon Lake, etc. Lovely!

CD
My Bosch was replaced with cheap Chinese one. Its crap.
Bosch was super quiet

Russ

Back
Top Bottom