Dishwasher/washing Habits

He also said to clean your lint filter every time you run your dryer and if you use dryer sheets to scrub it every so often because a film will build up and clog the mesh holes.
I clean my lint trap every load, always have, and I can't imagine not doing that, because it's pretty full after just one load.

For easy cleaning, I either soak it in hot water or just toss it in the dishwasher. It makes a big difference in the ability of the dryer to get clothes dry.

I never run the dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer when we are in bed or not home. I learned the hard way when the plumbing clogged up and the clothes washer overflowed and ruined the floors in the house. My hairdresser's grandfather nearly died in a house fire caused by his dryer that he turned on before he went to bed. It may sound over cautious, I never run the dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer during sleep hours or when we are not home.

I hear you. I started my last clothes washer, and too my dog for a walk. The washer filled up -- and kept filling. It flooded my kitchen, and got a little of the living room carpet wet before I got home and stopped the machine. No damage to the house, just an hour or so of moping and shop-vaccing.

CD

No plugs left in here, wife thinks being plugged in still uses power, without it switched on !!
Shes a nazi about plugs.

Russ

Some things do, but most things don't. It is called "vampire draw." It applies to things that have a "standby mode" instead of an "off" selection. Modern TVs are a good example. Things like lamps/light fixtures are not a problem. When they are off, they are OFF.

CD

Some things do, but most things don't. It is called "vampire draw." It applies to things that have a "standby mode" instead of an "off" selection. Modern TVs are a good example. Things like lamps/light fixtures are not a problem. When they are off, they are OFF.

CD

You need to tell my wife!! :)

Russ

I run my dishwasher on a 7-hour cycle, so at first it's just doing a prewash for 4 hours (intermittently rinsing/soaking) and the actual wash cycle starts shortly before I get up. Plus I'm a light sleeper and we both get up for water or to visit the loo pretty regularly during the night, so I'm not worried. I wouldn't bother running the clothes washer or dryer at night because I wouldn't be awake to fold and hang up the clothes when it was done. I'm not one for leaving my laundry incomplete once I start it.

I keep my furnace on in the winter and it heats up, oops! :laugh:

I run my dishwasher on a 7-hour cycle, so at first it's just doing a prewash for 4 hours (intermittently rinsing/soaking) and the actual wash cycle starts shortly before I get up. Plus I'm a light sleeper and we both get up for water or to visit the loo pretty regularly during the night, so I'm not worried. I wouldn't bother running the clothes washer or dryer at night because I wouldn't be awake to fold and hang up the clothes when it was done. I'm not one for leaving my laundry incomplete once I start it.

I keep my furnace on in the winter and it heats up, oops! :laugh:
Our dishwasher has a long cycle but I set it at factory 120 mins, but the kommandant found a way to bypass that to 61 mins. The power nazi. :)

Russ

So who uses rinsing agents in their dishwashers? I do sometimes. What about ways to clean and deodorize the dishwasher? Every once in awhile i will run white vinegar through a cycle.

I never run the dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer when we are in bed or not home. I learned the hard way when the plumbing clogged up and the clothes washer overflowed and ruined the floors in the house. My hairdresser's grandfather nearly died in a house fire caused by his dryer that he turned on before he went to bed. It may sound over cautious, I never run the dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer during sleep hours or when we are not home.
I always run mine at night because I have an electricity plan where the electricity is cheaper at night, during a couple hours on Saturdays and Sundays all day. But I know I'm running a risk. I know one person who had a nasty house fire because the washer malfunctioned when she was not at home.

The dishwasher will run when I go to sleep. This is why I RINSE my dishes! Not going to plug up with oorts or such.

Yes, never run the laundry dryer when gone or asleep!

Detergents are made to bind to fat and grease, so rinsing dishes, etc before putting them in the dishwasher actually makes the soap less effective. A good dishwasher running at the right setting should clean its contents well enough that they don't need rinsing.

A 7 hour cycle for the DW????

I agree with you about the laundry - I hang immediately after it is done, so I don't have to IRON the things. I don't buy anything that requires ironing if one can deal with the clothing immediately.

If needed, I run the DW or the dryer before going to bed. If they didn't shut off at the end of the cycles, then that would be different. But I don't do it all the time. Only if needed. :whistling:

A 7 hour cycle for the DW????

I agree with you about the laundry - I hang immediately after it is done, so I don't have to IRON the things. I don't buy anything that requires ironing if one can deal with the clothing immediately.
Yeah, as I posted, the 1st 4 hours is intermittent prewash. It starts out spraying everything with hot water for 3 minutes then stops and repeats about every 30 minutes until the final cycle when it is a constant wash, then dry.

I'm the same way about ironing. I've shown hubby how to line up the seams in pants to achieve a nice crease. He's quite good at it!

Last edited:
So who uses rinsing agents in their dishwashers? I do sometimes. What about ways to clean and deodorize the dishwasher? Every once in awhile i will run white vinegar through a cycle.
I used to use a separate rinse aid, Finish, but the Cascade "action pack" I use (I love that term for describing a detergent pod) has rinse aid included in it, so I don't use a separate one any longer.

I've never deodorized the machine, as it always seems fine after a wash.

Back
Top Bottom