Dishwasher/washing Habits

So who uses rinsing agents in their dishwashers? I do sometimes. What about ways to clean and deodorize the dishwasher? Every once in awhile i will run white vinegar through a cycle.
oops, didn't mean to do that

So who uses rinsing agents in their dishwashers? I do sometimes. What about ways to clean and deodorize the dishwasher? Every once in awhile i will run white vinegar through a cycle.
I put a rinse agent in that little cup and I also run a cycle of just citric acid every so often to clean out the hard water deposits.
I used to use a separate rinse aid, Finish, but the Cascade "action pack" I use (I love that term for describing a detergent pod) has rinse aid included in it, so I don't use a separate one any longer.

I've never deodorized the machine, as it always seems fine after a wash.
I find the all-in-one pods a bit spendy compared to buying the individual soap and rinse agent.

I put a rinse agent in that little cup and I also run a cycle of just citric acid every so often to clean out the hard water deposits.

I find the all-in-one pods a bit spendy compared to buying the individual soap and rinse agent.
I get it from Sam's so that helps, but anything other than Cascade Complete just doesn't work for 💩 in my dishwasher.

I switched to Clorox brand most recently, and would you believe, it wouldn't even clean the tea/coffee stains out of the cups...and cups that had barely staining to begin with, because we always give them a quick rinse first, just out of habit.

A 7 hour cycle for the DW????

I found that surprising too. Mine takes an about an hour. I haven't noticed anything being left dirty.

I agree with you about the laundry - I hang immediately after it is done, so I don't have to IRON the things. I don't buy anything that requires ironing if one can deal with the clothing immediately.

Ditto. I may have an iron somewhere in the house but I haven't used it in decades. My view is: if you enjoy ironing and find it therapeutic then do it. Otherwise, its an unnecessary activity.

Last edited:
Well when you are as isolated and lonely like me, even your dishes take on a personality! They rather like a steaming hot shower...LOL!

And yes, after several alcoholic libations, they might have talked to me. Or at least I have talked to them!
Maybe we should start a thread about who talks to inanimate objects...:laugh::laugh:

I'd hazard a guess we all have at one time or another. Sometimes expletives!

Edited to add:
Meet doofus, everyone. He just ate most of a peanut butter sandwich. It's my therapy payment. Much like a therapist, he doesn't say much and is a really good listener. He is a lot cheaper, though. I guess the session must be over because my payment appears to have been processed.

And food coma. He's got hiccups!

Last edited:

I don't need to deoderize the DW. I do need to do this to the laundry washing machine - it is apparently more necessary for front loading laundry washers.

I find that the all in one Cascade pods work wonderfully, better than individual products, so I go ahead and use them. Helps that I won't run the DW every day, or usually not even every other day.

I steer away from those laundry Tide pods - I hear you shouldn't eat them... :hyper::D:wacky:

About three times a year, I use one of those dishwasher cleaning pods. They do a good job. I think Cascade makes the ones I use. The stainless steel interior turns out great -- no dullness from minerals in the water. Smells good, too.

CD

We use rinse aid because it helps things dry streak-free (especially glass) - I generally use Finish because that's what Costco have (and they're much cheaper than supermarkets). But we don't need to add salt to the salt dispenser because we have a water softener for the whole house.

I've no idea of the brand of detergent we use - its just the cheapest pods from Costco which work absolutely fine. Though I guess some of that is due to the dishwasher itself because this one definitely cleans much better than the old one.

We use rinse aid because it helps things dry streak-free (especially glass) - I generally use Finish because that's what Costco have (and they're much cheaper than supermarkets). But we don't need to add salt to the salt dispenser because we have a water softener for the whole house.

I've no idea of the brand of detergent we use - its just the cheapest pods from Costco which work absolutely fine. Though I guess some of that is due to the dishwasher itself because this one definitely cleans much better than the old one.

I grew up with water softeners in the house. The rest of my family still have them.I don't like how they make your skin feel after a shower. It feels like the soap isn't rinsed off.

When I was married, we had a ridiculously expensive water softener/purifier system. It didn't give me the same feeling after a shower, but it was something like 5,000 bucks. It was my wife's idea.

Municipal water in North Texas is rainwater from reservoirs, so it is not nearly as hard as ground water.

CD

I grew up with water softeners in the house. The rest of my family still have them.I don't like how they make your skin feel after a shower. It feels like the soap isn't rinsed off.

When I was married, we had a ridiculously expensive water softener/purifier system. It didn't give me the same feeling after a shower, but it was something like 5,000 bucks. It was my wife's idea.

Municipal water in North Texas is rainwater from reservoirs, so it is not nearly as hard as ground water.

CD
The water around here is really hard - the only bathroom cleaners that worked were the anti-limescale ones and still things like the shower screen never looked clean. Our water softener is only a relatively cheap one (cost us around £600) but it works well enough.

I run my dishwasher on a 7-hour cycle, so at first it's just doing a prewash for 4 hours (intermittently rinsing/soaking) and the actual wash cycle starts shortly before I get up.
I only ever use the eco setting on ours - it uses the least amount of water and electricity and takes 3hrs 15mins.

During that 4 hour period it's probably only running a total of 15 minutes. It starts out spraying with hot water for a minute or 2 and stops, then does it several more times before the wash cycle actually begjns.

*bump*
I'd like to ask the question that JAS_OH1 asked earlier in the thread.
Members in the US, what brand of dishwasher do you use, do you like it and why.
<edit - also, what brands should I steer clear of?>
I find myself in a pickle.
My dishwasher just crapped out for the second time, it's only 6 years old, GE contractor grade that was included with the new build of our home.
Rather than pay to have the same problem fixed again, DH & I discussed simply buying a new and better one.
Opinions please?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom