Do you brown your meat before adding other ingredients?

Do you mostly brown your meat before cooking or mostly not bother?

• Yes mostly I do

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No mostly I don't

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Half n half depending on what I'm cooking

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Local time
5:19 AM
I often don't bother browning meat.
I know they say it increases the meat flavour but I've done some side by side tasting and it made a tiny difference.
Obviously that's different if the meat is to be eaten on it's own like with a steak for example.

But I'm not really convinced I like my meat to taste meatier when it comes to casseroles/stews etc 🤷‍♀️

This morning I slung the unseared lamb into the slow cooker and wondered what everyone on here does?

My guess would be you mostly do brown your meat before adding other ingredients?
But maybe you're not keen on the mess or the additional step either?

So poll time!

Last edited:
The answer is:
It depends...

A lot of SE Asisn cooking doesn't brown the meat first...
Rendang definitely not as it is fried in the end, in it's own sauce

But ground meat...
Yes, I do as I don't like the taste if it isn't browned.

Meatballs, burgers, steak, chops etc obviously get browned/seared.

So... It depends what I feel like on the day and on what I make

Can't choose as I'm split in half (not literally though)

The answer is:
It depends...

A lot of SE Asisn cooking doesn't brown the meat first...
Rendang definitely not as it is fried in the end, in it's own sauce

But ground meat...
Yes, I do as I don't like the taste if it isn't browned.

Meatballs, burgers, steak, chops etc obviously get browned/seared.

So... It depends what I feel like on the day and on what I make

Can't choose as I'm split in half (not literally though)
I've put the half and half option in for you as I suspect you're not alone!

It just depends on the recipe. Something like a roast or stew, then yes. Chili also, though the chili sauce I make for hotdogs specifically instructs not to brown the meat, so I don’t.

Depending on the recipe, I usually sear the meat over high heat for a short time to lock in the juices and keep it tender and juicy on the inside.

I never brown meat or chicken for curry. Its really not necessary and I think the meat soaks up more flavour from the sauce if you don't. Its often marinated anyway. I rarely brown any meat for stews either. I don't find it makes a lot of difference and in fact I find it can shrink the meat slightly and thereby prevent as much flavour from the stock/gravy being absorbed.

I never brown meat or chicken for curry. Its really not necessary and I think the meat soaks up more flavour from the sauce if you don't. Its often marinated anyway. I rarely brown any meat for stews either. I don't find it makes a lot of difference and in fact I find it can shrink the meat slightly and thereby prevent as much flavour from the stock/gravy being absorbed.
I don't either. I find it tightens the protein strands and takes longer to get to that soft state I'm after.
But so far it's just you n me who are on the 'mostly no' side of things!
Occasionally I'll do it if I want a charred edge on something but not often.

real life story . . . Dear Son, who likes to cook, was visiting and spaghetti and meat sauce was on the menu.
"So dad, why does your stuff always taster better than mine?"
"Here son, brown off this ground beef."
when he pronounced it done, it had changed color from reddish to brown.
but that's not "browning the beef"
for him it was an AHA moment.

I go for about 50% dark color.
here's the pix -
1 - just started
2- turned color, note all the water left in the pan - that has to be boiled off to get the temps needed.
3 -nice tasty bits with light caramelized beef . . .
combo1s.jpg

In many cases I do brown my meat but it really depends on the style of cooking I’m doing and largely what I’m making. If I’m making a stew I absolutely get some caramelization on those little cubes of meat before braising, it also ads great texture to the meat. Many Asian dishes I make go right in the wok and the meat is prepped other ways before hand.

On a side note - One thing I always throw in a frying pan if I’m grinding them up are spices. Toasting those in a pan beforehand really brings out the flavor and aromatics. This is a must for a good curry or soup IMO.

Back
Top Bottom