Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:46 AM
[Mod Edit: copied (and edited) from another topic to start a new one about buttering sandwiches (TR)]

I'm thinking I knew someone who used butter as a condiment for sandwiches. Can't think of who though, someone from my long ago past I guess.

I put butter on sandwiches. I learned that from my time in the UK. Takes a sandwich to a whole new dimension.
Ok then, I do think I remember seeing photos of that. Di you use other condiments on the same sandwich?

I'm thinking I knew someone who used butter as a condiment for sandwiches. Can't think of who though, someone from my long ago past I guess.

I'm not sure what you mean. Butter is normally used in sandwiches in the UK. It would be quite unusual to find a sandwich which didn't use butter or and alternative 'spread' such as vegetarian or vegan alternatives (margarine) as well as other fillings in the UK.

Ok then, I do think I remember seeing photos of that. Di you use other condiments on the same sandwich?
I do, yes. Besides the creamy texture, the butter also seals the bread, so your mustard or whatever doesn’t soak into the bread.

I do, yes. Besides the creamy texture, the butter also seals the bread, so your mustard or whatever doesn’t soak into the bread.

To me its really odd to have a sandwich without butter (or alternative) spread on the bread. A typical cheese and pickle sandwich would be bread with butter spread on each slice, and either slices of cheese or grated cheese and Branston pickle as the filling.

However - increasingly, mayo is used in sandwiches and then quite often the butter is omitted. This is a fairly recent trend - well not that recent... maybe in the last 15 years especially in supermarket sandwiches. So I suppose I should retract what I said earlier. Lets just say that at home most folk here would make a sandwich using butter or an alternative.

The quintessential cucumber sandwich also uses buttered bread.

I rather like my condiments to soak into the bread. But I wouldn't be opposed to trying butter on one slice and the condiments on the other. I do often like to "toast" my bread or buns in a pan with butter on them, particularly hamburger buns. And I like my steak with butter on it at finish, so stands to reason I would like butter on a sandwich.

And what would a grilled cheese sandwich be without butter?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean. Butter is normally used in sandwiches in the UK. It would be quite unusual to find a sandwich which didn't use butter or and alternative 'spread' such as vegetarian or vegan alternatives (margarine) as well as other fillings in the UK.
Because people here don't do it. It's always been mustard or mayonnaise for the majority of people I know (except the one person I can't recall from my past who did it), and I had no idea that people in the UK do.

I know I’m going to hate saying this, but I do use butter and mayonnaise… :whistling:

Because people here don't do it.
I think it was common until a couple of generations ago. I’ve got a couple of older cookbooks that use butter on sandwiches, and when I was “enlightening” my mom about butter on sandwiches, she said that yes, when she was a little girl, that’s how her mom made them.

All that did was make me mad because I thought of all the years I’d been alive and missed out on butter on my sandwiches!

I know I’m going to hate saying this, but I do use butter and mayonnaise… :whistling:
I don't see how anyone could be critical of that unless they don't like butter or mayonnaise. It's not like you are putting pureed tongue on your sandwiches (although some people might like that).

I am also curious if your mom's parents used real butter. I grew up in a margarine household and the first time I had real butter I was in love and I ran away with it. I never looked back and I would probably rather have my toast dry than put margarine on it, although I will use margarine for baking and there are a few high-end margarines I will eat. But no Blue Bonnet or Imperial except for baking.

Although, my foster-sister puts grape jelly on sausage and bacon and uses American style biscuits to make them into a sandwich. And some people like maple syrup on bacon or sausage. I don't really like grape jelly or maple syrup, though (Mrs T is probably going to faint now, LOL). I also don't care much for sweet stuff on meats. My mom used to glaze a ham in honey with pineapple and maraschino cherries on it on the holidays. Thank goodness she always made a turkey as well or I would have just been eating the side dishes.

We should have a poll on the buttered sandwich popularity. I would love to see how many people outside of the UK put butter on their sandwiches. Do our resident Canadians like it? How about Germany, France, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, etc.? I would guess that Yorky probably does it as a transplanted Brit. And does everyone in the UK do this?

Is this going to start a new thread? It could if mods feel like it?

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone could be critical of that unless they don't like butter or mayonnaise.
We’ll give MG a chance to respond… :laugh:

I am also curious if your mom's parents used real butter.
Yes, for the most part. I don’t ever remember seeing margarine at my mom’s mom’s house. They generally bought butter fresh, because it was just in plain wax paper, no writing on it.

For a long time when I was a kid, we made our own butter, but as more and more of us moved out, we stopped doing that.

Back
Top Bottom