• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
We’ll give MG a chance to respond… :laugh:

Yes, for the most part. I don’t ever remember seeing margarine at my mom’s mom’s house. They generally bought butter fresh, because it was just in plain wax paper, no writing on it.

For a long time when I was a kid, we made our own butter, but as more and more of us moved out, we stopped doing that.
Did you have cows? I know an old roommate of mine made butter from heavy whipping cream she had bought and she was so proud, and I pointed out to her that it cost her more to purchase the cream than it would have if she'd bought butter already made. I guess she just wanted to see if she could do it. It didn't taste any better than if she would have purchased it at the store. I'm sure your family's butter was quite good, however.

Did you have cows? I know an old roommate of mine made butter from heavy whipping cream she had bought and she was so proud, and I pointed out to her that it cost her more to purchase the cream than it would have if she'd bought butter already made. I guess she just wanted to see if she could do it. It didn't taste any better than if she would have purchased it at the store. I'm sure your family's butter was quite good, however.
Yes, you can make it in a food processor.

Yes, we did raise cows, but the most we ever had were three, and one of those would be a calf to raise. We also kept chickens and pigs, and it was kind of a slow decline, as kids would grow up and move away, it made less and less sense to home-raise all that stuff. Keeping a pig was the last thing Dad let go of, though...I remember him raising one right up until he was about 60, because he always cured his own bacon and hams, and made his own bulk sausage (though he didn't care about the sausage nearly as much as the hams).

Yes, you can make it in a food processor.

Yes, we did raise cows, but the most we ever had were three, and one of those would be a calf to raise. We also kept chickens and pigs, and it was kind of a slow decline, as kids would grow up and move away, it made less and less sense to home-raise all that stuff. Keeping a pig was the last thing Dad let go of, though...I remember him raising one right up until he was about 60, because he always cured his own bacon and hams, and made his own bulk sausage (though he didn't care about the sausage nearly as much as the hams).
I don't remember what she used to make it (it was over 30 years ago), but we didn't have a food processor so she must have used a blender or something else.

That must have been hard to give up, but it's just so much work. I remember just having horses was a lot of work, but raising food animals, wow!

Did you get up with the chickens and milk the cows before the sun came up?

Did you get up with the chickens and milk the cows before the sun came up?
I had to get up with the chickens regardless, because my job was always to get the fire in the wood cookstove built back up so Mom could make breakfast, so that meant getting up around 4AM or so. I did have to occasionally feed the chickens and gather eggs, yes, but that was mostly left to my mom and my sister. Milk cows, occasionally, but that was usually one of my brothers. My main daily job, and one I hated, was slopping the pigs.

We kept a few plastic 5-gallon buckets on the porch, just outside the kitchen door. Any food scraps, peelings, old bread, went in those buckets, and I'd top them off with water. When a bucket would get about full, it was my job to carry it out to pigsty, which wasn't exactly near the house, hoist it over the fence, and tip it into the trough.

When that first became my job, and for a couple of years afterwards, that was hard work, because a 5-gallon bucket filled with kitchen scraps and water is very heavy, and I was a little kid anyway, and it stinks, and it's just nasty. It was a long walk over rough ground to get to the pigs, and then I had to get it up over my head and dump it in. I usually managed to spill some down my pantlegs on the way there, and get a good bit of it on the front of me trying to get it over the fence.

That is the very last chore I did, the morning I left home for good. Slopped the hogs, and Mom gave me a ride to the recruiter's office so he could take me to Cincinnati to get processed into the Air Force. I remember thinking, "I'm not going to have to do this crap any more!" - and I've never slopped a hog since. :laugh:

When I was in grade school (K-3rd grade) when were giving sandwiches at school, they were butter... the school lunch ladies told us that they wouldn't go bad on us while we were out at our activities for the day (field trips away from the school), but mayonnaise would make us sick.
My Mother only had margarine in the house, I hated it!
Once I had my own place and first bought butter I was hooked.
My DH dislikes mayo, butter, anything that's creamy - he only wants Mustard of olive oil on his sandwiches/hoagies.
Me, I want a boatload of mayo on my sammie :hungry:

To me its really odd to have a sandwich without butter (or alternative) spread on the bread. A typical cheese and pickle sandwich would be bread with butter spread on each slice, and either slices of cheese or grated cheese and Branston pickle as the filling.

However - increasingly, mayo is used in sandwiches and then quite often the butter is omitted. This is a fairly recent trend - well not that recent... maybe in the last 15 years especially in supermarket sandwiches. So I suppose I should retract what I said earlier. Lets just say that at home most folk here would make a sandwich using butter or an alternative.

The quintessential cucumber sandwich also uses buttered bread.

Welcome to America, where I've never heard of a butter, cheese and pickle sandwich. :scratchhead:I can't image Heinz baked beans with breakfast. and rascal can't imagine potatoes with brekky.

Different cultures, different foods.

CD

Nz being a major player in the dairy industry we were bought up butter on bread toast scones etc. Butter was always on the table for dinner. I use it s lot more than most, grandkids also like me love butter.
Cholesterol I'm aok.
We dont use margarine at all.

Russ
I put butter on bread, toast, biscuits, buns, rolls etc. also, and always on the dinner table here, too. Just never tried it on sandwiches.

I grew up with butter on my sandwiches and I didn't know there's actually a strong community in the kitchen who doesn't like butter on it's bread, as it tends to changes the flavour or because it's to fat.
Yeah, I'm interested in trying it. I'm not worried about the fat, mayonnaise is high in fat too, of course. I figure if so many people like it it's got to be good.

Trying out new food combinations can always be nice and there are several spreads that are absolutely fine without butter, like tahini, PB, cottage cheese, vegan spreads, nougat cream. There is still one thing I absolutely love about butter, when it's fresh out of the fridge and cools down your tongue.

I eat toast with salted butter and a cup of tea each morning, sometimes an egg and butter on said toast too.

But I never butter any other sandwiches, and if some kind of spread is required like with a sub I use mayo instead of butter. I really don't like the flavor of butter combined with deli meats, or lettuce or anything but the above when it comes to bread really.
I do butter the outside of a grilled cheese to make it crispy, but that's the only exception.

Back
Top Bottom