Do you butter your sandwiches?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Trust me…butter on your sandwich is life-changing. It’s like a hallelujah chorus of angels in every bite.

I've had butter on sandwiches. That's how my grandparents made them. I've also been to Europe several times, so I'm quite familiar with the common use of butter on sandwiches there. That's why I selected "sometimes" on the poll.

Now, I would not say it is the Hallelujah Chorus in every bite. I love butter. I just don't love it on everything.

CD

I've had butter on sandwiches. That's how my grandparents made them. I've also been to Europe several times, so I'm quite familiar with the common use of butter on sandwiches there. That's why I selected "sometimes" on the poll.

Now, I would not say it is the Hallelujah Chorus in every bite. I love butter. I just don't love it on everything.

CD
I loathe the habit of most Europeans to do this, indeed.. I got put off it completely because (spoiler because eeeew)

I was placed in class next to a boy with some type of allergy when I was 6 years old, for a whole year, who vomited at every lunch because he couldn't eat butter. I was put off the use of butter on sandwiches forever, the smell is still imprinted in my memory.. ughhh

I loathe the habit of most Europeans to do this, indeed.. I got put off it completely because (spoiler because eeeew)

I was placed in class next to a boy with some type of allergy when I was 6 years old, for a whole year, who vomited at every lunch because he couldn't eat butter. I was put off the use of butter on sandwiches forever, the smell is still imprinted in my memory.. ughhh
Poor you, but really that poor boy even more. How awful that no adults did anything about it.

Poor you, but really that poor boy even more. How awful that no adults did anything about it.
Yeah I know that's so sad, as an adult I really think that was abusive. Everyone knew he couldn't eat it yet he was forced to again and again.. That teacher was a bully, that won't have helped.

I always put butter on my sandwiches, but as MG said, it may just be a British thing. I sometimes add mayonnaise, mustard, tomato ketchup and chile sauce as well, especially if I´m making a Turbo BLT.
The first time I had a sandwich without butter was probably in Venezuela; and they have another curious thing...
Butter (mantequilla in Spanish) is confused with margarine. I don´t know how many times I´ve corrected people on this - including cooks and even chefs - who have told me "they´re the same"
WHAT???:D:D

:D So true....I'd find it a bit strange if I received a sandwich that didn't have butter or marge on it, but I don't expect it to be mentioned on the menu.

Day to day I use either unsalted butter or Bertolli. Depending what filling I'm having I very occasionally use cream cheese instead (in an effort to save calories). I don't think I've ever tried mayo as a butter replacement.....seems like it would make the bread too soggy? Even if for example I was having an egg mayo sandwich, I'd still butter the bread first.
Ah maybe so, but thats not how you worded it!

Also noted that karadekoolaid puts butter "on" his sandwich.

I make sandwiches very seldom. Can't remember buttering them in the last few years, but I might, once in a while. I would think only for toasted and hot sandwiches, never for ones served cold/room temperature.
Yeah, I could see buttering the bread for a grilled cheese or a melt for sure. And I suppose on a hot sandwich toasting the bread with some butter would be nice.

I do think I might have to try buttering the bread for a cold sandwich just to find out. If memory serves me correctly, TR likes his toast with a mix of melty and solid butter. I think he purposefully cools down his toast a bit before buttering it to allow this. I like my butter completely melted, so if I put it on a cold sandwich it would need to be at room temperature or slightly warmer so it spread well.

I bought some turkey deli meat today. I always keep cheese on hand. I like lettuce and tomato sometimes on turkey sandwiches and I do prefer my turkey and cheese sandwiches hot with melty cheese and toasty bread (before adding cool lettuce and tomato).

Back
Top Bottom