Do you butter your sandwiches?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
TR likes his toast with a mix of melty and solid butter.
My preference is unmelted butter. I like it put on like cake frosting.

Nigella Lawson has recommended buttering toast twice - once while it’s warm (to get the melty) and once again after it sits a bit (to get the creamy). It’s nice, but I like it thick and solid (there’s “I like my women…” joke in there somewhere).

Nigella Lawson has recommended buttering toast twice - once while it’s warm (to get the melty) and once again after it sits a bit (to get the creamy). It’s nice, but I like it thick and solid (there’s “I like my women…” joke in there somewhere).
Yep. Warm and creamy just about sums up Nigella.

Yep. Warm and creamy just about sums up Nigella.
I have a love/hate relationship with her. I can start watching her, and within five minutes, I’m ready to sell my soul to be the object of her affection, but five minutes after that, I’m thinking, “Does she have to say everything in that bedroom voice? Give it a break, Nige!” and changing the channel! :laugh:

I have a love/hate relationship with her. I can start watching her, and within five minutes, I’m ready to sell my soul to be the object of her affection, but five minutes after that, I’m thinking, “Does she have to say everything in that bedroom voice? Give it a break, Nige!” and changing the channel! :laugh:

I feel more or less the same. I like her use of language. I like Nigel Slater for the same reason (he is probably not really known outside the UK). Nigella's recipes are quite simple and usually good, though.

cooking humor1.jpg

I feel more or less the same. I like her use of language. I like Nigel Slater for the same reason (he is probably not really known outside the UK). Nigella's recipes are quite simple and usually good, though.
They are my two favorite food authors together with the Hairy Bikers. I love their storytelling talent on top of their great recipes! And Nigella is spot on everytime, her recipes are always accurate

I put butter on sandwiches. I learned that from my time in the UK. Takes a sandwich to a whole new dimension.
I agree. However Ethan Chlebowski taught me the importance of moisture, so now if appropriate I might use a oil/vinegar combo.
For dry sandwiches where that won't work, butter is my go to lube.

I agree. However Ethan Chlebowski taught me the importance of moisture, so now if appropriate I might use a oil/vinegar combo.
For dry sandwiches where that won't work, butter is my go to lube.
I love a vinaigrette on a sandwich if it has greens on it. Love a turkey and cheese sandwich with lettuce and cucumber with that.

Interesting how foods develop, innit?
History would have it that the "Sandwich" was invented by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich (a seaside town in my county of Kent, btw)
Montagu would have loved Las Vegas, because he was an inveterate gambler, and he asked his cook to prepare him something while he was playing cards - so he wouldn´t miss a trick. The "Sandwich" was born - two slices of bread with a slab of meat in the middle.
It´s doubtful, of course, that no-one else in history had ever stuck some protein in between two pieces of ciabatta/pita/naan/flatbread - but who cares? My Lord Sandwich was the one to make it famous.

Back
Top Bottom