Do you butter your sandwiches?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
I eat toast with salted butter and a cup of tea each morning, sometimes an egg and butter on said toast too.

But I never butter any other sandwiches, and if some kind of spread is required like with a sub I use mayo instead of butter. I really don't like the flavor of butter combined with deli meats, or lettuce or anything but the above when it comes to bread really.
I do butter the outside of a grilled cheese to make it crispy, but that's the only exception.
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it before but the idea of lettuce or tomatoes with butter doesn't seem appealing.

I had to go back in my memories for some of these:

Bacon and mushroom - no
Bacon and tomato - no
Sausage - no
Salmon - yes
Cheese - yes
Pickled onion - yes
Prawns - yes
Fish - yes
Chips - yes
Haslet - yes
Pork stuffing - yes
Cold ham - yes
Gammon - no
Roast beef - yes
Roast pork - yes
Cheese - yes
Tomato - yes
Pâté - yes
Boiled egg - yes
Fried egg - no
Spread - yes
Beef steak - no
Dripping - no
Fried Spam - no
Banana - no
Cucumber - yes
Ice cream - no idea

There could be more.

Just never tried it on sandwiches.

'In' not 'on' in the UK. Here if you put something on a sandwich you would be putting it on the outside of the sandwich (unless it was an open sandwich). Another language difference. A small thing but could cause big misunderstandings!

Furthermore, your nomenclature is wrong. We would never call it a butter (plus whatever) sandwich, The butter is not mentioned its just taken as read its there.
So true....I'd find it a bit strange if I received a sandwich that didn't have butter or marge on it, but I don't expect it to be mentioned on the menu.

Day to day I use either unsalted butter or Bertolli. Depending what filling I'm having I very occasionally use cream cheese instead (in an effort to save calories). I don't think I've ever tried mayo as a butter replacement.....seems like it would make the bread too soggy? Even if for example I was having an egg mayo sandwich, I'd still butter the bread first.

Bacon and mushroom - no
Bacon and tomato - no
Sausage - no
Salmon - yes
Cheese - yes
Pickled onion - yes
Prawns - yes
Fish - yes
Chips - yes
Haslet - yes
Pork stuffing - yes
Cold ham - yes
Gammon - no
Roast beef - yes
Roast pork - yes
Cheese - yes
Tomato - yes
Pâté - yes
Boiled egg - yes
Fried egg - no
Spread - yes
Beef steak - no
Dripping - no
Fried Spam - no
Banana - no
Cucumber - yes
Ice cream - no idea

There could be more.
Slow morning? :okay:

I couldn't eat a tomato sandwich without butter.
I couldn't eat a tomato "in" a sandwich without mayonnaise.

We Muricans say "on", sorry. I get what you mean, you're right technically, but it's just the way it's phrased here usually.

So true....I'd find it a bit strange if I received a sandwich that didn't have butter or marge on it, but I don't expect it to be mentioned on the menu.

Day to day I use either unsalted butter or Bertolli. Depending what filling I'm having I very occasionally use cream cheese instead (in an effort to save calories). I don't think I've ever tried mayo as a butter replacement.....seems like it would make the bread too soggy? Even if for example I was having an egg mayo sandwich, I'd still butter the bread first.
No, it doesn't make the bread soggy in my experience.

One of these days I'm going to learn what to eat. Apparently I've been doing it all wrong for 60 years.

CD

I didn't say you were wrong in what you eat. I was referring to differences in use of language in the UK v US and that the way you described a sandwich with butter would be the wrong way to say it in the UK. What I wrote was meant in jest. :)

Nobody is trying to say one way of talking is better than the other - or indeed that sandwiches are better in one country or the other - just different.

We Muricans say "on", sorry. I get what you mean, you're right technically, but it's just the way it's phrased here usually.

I know you do. No need to apologise! That was my point. We say 'in' and you say 'on'. I thought it amusing the misunderstanding that could arise. I mean, if I said I'm making a ham sandwich and you said 'can I have egg on it?', I'd think you meant an egg on top of the ham sandwich like this:

1644337120802.png

Could be quite nice though...

I know you do. No need to apologise! That was my point. We say 'in' and you say 'on'. I thought it amusing the misunderstanding that could arise. I mean, if I said I'm making a ham sandwich and you said 'can I have egg on it?', I'd think you meant an egg on top of the ham sandwich like this:

View attachment 80593

Could be quite nice though...
I noticed that Mrs. Dangermouse did the same thing as I did, she wrote "on".
I didn't say you were wrong in what you eat. I was referring to differences in use of language in the UK v US and that the way you described a sandwich with butter would be the wrong way to say it in the UK. What I wrote was meant in jest. :)

Nobody is trying to say one way of talking is better than the other - or indeed that sandwiches are better in one country or the other - just different.
He was just being a snarky smartypants!

Bacon and mushroom - no
Bacon and tomato - no
Sausage - no
Salmon - yes
Cheese - yes
Pickled onion - yes
Prawns - yes
Fish - yes
Chips - yes
Haslet - yes
Pork stuffing - yes
Cold ham - yes
Gammon - no
Roast beef - yes
Roast pork - yes
Cheese - yes
Tomato - yes
Pâté - yes
Boiled egg - yes
Fried egg - no
Spread - yes
Beef steak - no
Dripping - no
Fried Spam - no
Banana - no
Cucumber - yes
Ice cream - no idea

There could be more.
Are you saying you make sandwiches with the above ingredients? About half of them I would never put between two slices of bread (or even atop one). I like ice cream sandwiches...on cookies/British biscuits! But on bread?

Back
Top Bottom