• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Interesting how foods develop, innit?
History would have it that the "Sandwich" was invented by John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich (a seaside town in my county of Kent, btw)
Montagu would have loved Las Vegas, because he was an inveterate gambler, and he asked his cook to prepare him something while he was playing cards - so he wouldn´t miss a trick. The "Sandwich" was born - two slices of bread with a slab of meat in the middle.
It´s doubtful, of course, that no-one else in history had ever stuck some protein in between two pieces of ciabatta/pita/naan/flatbread - but who cares? My Lord Sandwich was the one to make it famous.
I need to slow down when I read, LOL. At first glance I thought you wrote: "...he was an invertebrate gambler..." and was picturing him slumped over a slot machine or at the poker table falling off his chair (being invertebrate and all that)! Though I suppose it could be less literal and refer to a spineless fellow with no courage...

At first glance I thought you wrote: "...he was an invertebrate gambler..." and was picturing him slumped over a slot machine or at the poker table falling off his chair (being invertebrate and all that)! Though I suppose it could be less literal and refer to a spineless fellow with no courage...
I had no idea who he was until I looked it up. He was a prominent politician and First Lord of the Admiralty.
He was also a rake, a bounder, and a profligate.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had no idea who he was until I looked it up. He was a prominent politician and First Lord of the Admiralty.
He was also a rake, a bounder, and a profligate.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh I had heard of him before in regards to the sandwich being named after him. But I didn't know he was such a scoundrel. I guess he wasn't a very admirable Admiral.

Dont forget " a bad un"
Lol

Russ
That’s what we say here as well, good’un or a bad’un.

When I was a little kid, my brother brought home a coworker, and told me his name was Biggen.

He was a giant, well over six feet tall. I later learned his first name was Mark, and for years and years, I thought his proper name was Mark Biggen.

Then, one day, I heard him introduce himself to some one else, and he gave his name as Mark Foster, which I thought was strange, and I asked my brother about it later, and he started laughing and said, “Biggen’s not his name, dumbazz, that’s just what we call him. Because he’s a big’un!”

I do not know if he buttered his sandwiches, though. :laugh:

That’s what we say here as well, good’un or a bad’un.

When I was a little kid, my brother brought home a coworker, and told me his name was Biggen.

He was a giant, well over six feet tall. I later learned his first name was Mark, and for years and years, I thought his proper name was Mark Biggen.

Then, one day, I heard him introduce himself to some one else, and he gave his name as Mark Foster, which I thought was strange, and I asked my brother about it later, and he started laughing and said, “Biggen’s not his name, dumbazz, that’s just what we call him. Because he’s a big’un!”

I do not know if he buttered his sandwiches, though. :laugh:

A neighbour 2 doors down was 6ft 6in he joined the police. They were Scottish and they called him the biggun.
Btw he loved buttered bread. :)

Russ

For a Hoagie, my In-Laws from Philly taught me to only use Olive Oil, no Vinegar, no Vinaigrette.
I was instructed to drizzle the Oil on the split Roll first, followed by S&P, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes and dried Oregano.
Then pile on the goodies!
I use Sharp Provolone Cheese, Hot Capocollo, Genoa Salami, and a good Ham of some sort.
A little vegetation, sliced Sweet White Onion, Lettuce, Tomato and the must have
is sliced Hot Cherry Peppers or Hot Pepper Hoagie Spread, which ever you can find in your area.
sammie.JPG

When we lived in the Tucson area, I was even able to buy Amoroso Rolls! That's the "Gold Standard".

I thought that they were all crazy when they first told me how to do this, but then they took to some famous joint in Blue Bell.
OH_MY_GAWD!
This little Hawaiian Gal was over the moon in love!
My husband ordered us a large (twenty inch long btw) Cheesesteak AND a Italian Hoagie.
We ate half of each in the joint and then took the other two halves with us to our hotel for dinner later in the room.
Oh and btw, NEVER order Mayonnaise on your sandwich in Philadelphia, they'll kick you out! :ohmy:

For a Hoagie, my In-Laws from Philly taught me to only use Olive Oil, no Vinegar, no Vinaigrette.
I was instructed to drizzle the Oil on the split Roll first, followed by S&P, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes and dried Oregano.
I use Sharp Provolone Cheese, Hot Capocollo, Genoa Salami, and a good Ham of some sort.
A little vegetation, sliced Sweet White Onion, Lettuce, Tomato and the must have
is sliced Hot Cherry Peppers or Hot Pepper Hoagie Spread, which ever you can find in your area.
View attachment 80672
When we lived in the Tucson area, I was even able to buy Amoroso Rolls! That's the "Gold Standard".

I thought that they were all crazy when they first told me how to do this, but then they took to some famous joint in Blue Bell.
OH_MY_GAWD!
My husband ordered us a large (twenty inch long btw) Cheesesteak AND a Italian Hoagie.
We ate half of each in the joint and then took the other two halves with us to our hotel for dinner later in the room.
Oh and btw, NEVER order Mayonnaise on your sandwich in Philadelphia, they'll kick you out! :ohmy:

When we live in the Philly burbs (I was born there), hoagies always came standard with oil AND vinegar. Maybe your husband's family just prefer their hoagies with no vinegar. Don't that also call Pork roll... <gasp> Taylor Ham?

CD

View attachment 80672

OH_MY_GAWD!
I'm thinking that the cherry peppers are pickled and probably add enough of a vinegary pop.

I'm thinking that the cherry peppers are pickled and probably add enough of a vinegary pop.
That's how I look at it JAS_OH1
And caseydog you're probably right, none of them are very fond of vinegar in general.
But MAN!
If every any of y'all pass through Blue Bell, PA, stop, really!
I dream of those sandwiches!!!!!!

When we live in the Philly burbs (I was born there), hoagies always came standard with oil AND vinegar. Maybe your husband's family just prefer their hoagies with no vinegar. Don't that also call Pork roll... <gasp> Taylor Ham?

CD
Taylor's Ham Egg and Cheese Bagel Sandwich1.jpg

Whatever you want to call, it's DELICIOUS!

In a chip butty (the word butty for sandwich is obviously derived from that essential ingredient), I have salt, vinegar and butter and sometimes HP sauce.

Back
Top Bottom