Do you dry your own fresh herbs?

I buy them fresh at the market and I dry whatever I don't use in that dish I bought them for. I just filled up my dill jar the other day.

I had suggested stringing these along the front of the entertainment center in the living room, but that was shot down before I finished the sentence, so I had to make alternate arrangements:

Now to get the thyme sorted...maybe from the bedposts...

If that is in the bedroom, I would probably object to it and I'm not that fussy. :ohmy:

Reactions: mjd
If that is in the bedroom, I would probably object to it and I'm not that fussy. :ohmy:
Technically, that's referred to as a "bonus room" on the real estate documents. Legally not allowed to list it as a bedroom because it doesn't have a closet or something like that.

It's just off the kitchen, so it's kind of a catch-all room.

We dry using the garage trusses (hung from roof) or wife uses her dehydrater. We freeze fresh coriander/ cilantro and basil. We have all the above mentioned herbs in or garden. I posted pics a few weeks ago.

Russ

A friend suggested a method of freezing coriander that I tried yesterday. Cover the leaves with water in either a zip-lock bag or screw top container before putting in the freezer. Time will tell whether the method proves satisfactory.

So you chip buts off what you need??

Russ

I have no idea yet. But I suppose they'll need to be completely defrosted. They are primarily for when I don't have fresh and a trip to the market/supermarket purely for coriander is not cost effective.

So you chip buts off what you need??

Russ

I defrosted it today for the cauliflower dish. It has darkened considerably and the taste and smell are stronger. I'll put some in my samosas at the weekend but only if we don't have any fresh. Otherwise I'll bin this one.

I defrosted it today for the cauliflower dish. It has darkened considerably and the taste and smell are stronger. I'll put some in my samosas at the weekend but only if we don't have any fresh. Otherwise I'll bin this one.

I put frozen in my samosas recently, I won't know until I cook them. Smelly pretty awesome though. We now have fresh growing.

Russ

There are a few different ways that you can dry your own fresh herbs.

One way is to tie them up in bunches and hang them upside down in a cool, dark place for about a week.

Another way is to lay them out on a clean plate or cutting board and set them in a sunny spot until they're dry. You can also put them in the oven on its lowest setting for an hour or so.

Whichever method you choose, make sure to check on your herbs regularly to see how they're progressing. When they're completely dried out, store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark place and they'll be good for several months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom