Do you dry your own fresh herbs?

After drying a load of herbs a couple of years ago (probably detailed in this thread!), I can say that I’m somewhat surprised that the dried herb I used more than any other (and it wasn’t even close) was…oregano. I expected it to be thyme.

After drying a load of herbs a couple of years ago (probably detailed in this thread!), I can say that I’m somewhat surprised that the dried herb I used more than any other (and it wasn’t even close) was…oregano. I expected it to be thyme.

They are close flavour profiles in some ways. Maybe you just had more fresh oregano than thyme?

They are close flavour profiles in some ways. Maybe you just had more fresh oregano than thyme?
It seems that I cook more with oregano than I thought, and of the salad dressings I make that call for dried herbs, they nearly all include oregano.

I´ve got an oregano plant in the garden which just keeps growing and growing and growing. Every now and then, I cut it back and dry the leaves on a tray in the kitchen. I never have to buy oregano.
I think it´s one of those herbs that tastes really good when dried; same as mint. Some herbs don´t dry well - parsley and coriander, for example.

When I grow herbs, I grow more than I need. That way, I can use them fresh and dry the rest for winter use. I have a drying rack in my laundry room and a mesh bag that I use to hang the herbs. I use the Mesh bag because I can see to make sure the herbs are drying properly. I also bought other spices from the retail shop for the winter usage

I have mint that I grow and dry myself. I'd like to grow more herbs this year. I dont just cook with them I use them in tea too.

I have mint that I grow and dry myself. I'd like to grow more herbs this year. I dont just cook with them I use them in tea too.

I have trouble growing mint for some reason. Oregano is rampant, thyme is plentiful but mint is meagre in my garden.

I have trouble growing mint for some reason. Oregano is rampant, thyme is plentiful but mint is meagre in my garden.
You can have mine, I can’t get rid of that crap, and I think I’m going to have to pull out my whole herb garden, pour gasoline over it and set fire to it to get rid of it.

You know what else I have spreading like crazy? Little tiny strawberries! I haven’t had strawberries planted in ten years or more, but I got to looking around this morning, and there are little strawberries reaching out in all directions from where I’d originally planted them.

What type of mint have you tried?

You can have mine, I can’t get rid of that crap, and I think I’m going to have to pull out my whole herb garden, pour gasoline over it and set fire to it to get rid of it.

You know what else I have spreading like crazy? Little tiny strawberries! I haven’t had strawberries planted in ten years or more, but I got to looking around this morning, and there are little strawberries reaching out in all directions from where I’d originally planted them.
I have a seperate garden and two planters of mint in the backyard, just so it doesnt take over everything.

--If you do want to grow mint in a garden, plant it in a planter/pot first then dig up a hole in the garden big enough to fit the pot right in the dirt with it, that should control the roots from it taking everything from the rest of the garden whether it be nutrients or space!

Mint grows like wildfire. If you don´t restrict it, it will take over your garden.
The best way to control it is grow it in a large bucket, or something similar.
First cousin of basil, incidentally.

That could be good?

What type of mint have you tried?

The 'furry leaved' one which I don't like so much and the other smooth leaved one. They are both in pots but don't do well.
I also grew mint in the ground here. It didn't 'take over' at all but was just straggly and indifferent. I think I have a bad effect on mint.

Well, they look pretty, but that’s about it. They never really get much bigger than a pea.
That sounds more like an alpine strawberry or wild strawberry to me. They are a European plant, but I'd guess you have something similar in the states?

This is an Australian link, but the info will be the same Growing wild alpine strawberries

Back
Top Bottom