Do you eat in the car?

I usually pick up Mexican food I'm in Immokalee, when I'm in the area, then stop at Old Oil Well Park just south of there. They have picnic tables, but it is way too hot this time of year, even in the shade, to eat on one.
Right, see COVID certainly changes things. Before COVID I would never do takeout, I always ate in the restaurant. Since March I have ordered takeout twice, both from restaurants close by. I ate on the outdoor patio at a restaurant with my sister a few weeks ago and felt comfortable. But probably won't be eating meals not prepared at home very often in the future.

Right, see COVID certainly changes things. Before COVID I would never do takeout, I always ate in the restaurant. Since March I have ordered takeout twice, both from restaurants close by. I ate on the outdoor patio at a restaurant with my sister a few weeks ago and felt comfortable. But probably won't be eating meals not prepared at home very often in the future.
We've attempted to eat on a restaurant patio, until it became obvious everyone was associating being outside with "no need for masks or distancing."

We've done a few fast food takeouts (McD's, DQ, LJS), but that gets old fast, so our next one will be Chinese takeaway, so a little better than the usual burger-and-fried thing.

We've attempted to eat on a restaurant patio, until it became obvious everyone was associating being outside with "no need for masks or distancing."

We've done a few fast food takeouts (McD's, DQ, LJS), but that gets old fast, so our next one will be Chinese takeaway, so a little better than the usual burger-and-fried thing.
We went early and there were only two other tables seated outside. The tables had ample distancing. Servers wore masks. Customers wore masks upon entry and exit, so anyone who walked past us had on a mask. Tables and chairs were wiped thoroughly after guests left. I felt comfortable.

We are planning a car picnic tonight. It's too cold for a picnic (coldest August bank holiday on record is predicted). We'll pic up fish and chips from a local gluten free chippy and head to the hills. I'll take a photo.
We'll probably have a few car picnics this autumn as we wont have to sit in a restaurant.

20200829_191437.jpg

A tasty chip.

20200829_200810.jpg

A bad photo but if you look closely you can see the silhouette of a local folly against a pink sky (right). Could not stop on the country lane to take a better photo.

Clearer picture of the view taken last week

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 45657

A tasty chip.

View attachment 45658
A bad photo but if you look closely you can see the silhouette of a local folly against a pink sky (right). Could not stop on the country lane to take a better photo.

View attachment 45659

Clearer picture of the view taken last week

View attachment 45660
I think I can see the folly; there are two smudges in the sky, and if you connect those with a straight line and follow that trajectory down, it's very close to where that intersects the horizon.

Only by necessity. If I'm working away and have to leave a hotel earlier than the restaurant opens I might use a drive through for breakfast. Generally I don't like food in my car - probably harks from the days of small children stuffing unwanted bits af sandwich under seats and in various compartments. 'Snacking' I don't relate to, even on long journeys.

Has anyone got a car tray?

View attachment 45625

I ordered a car tray, which arrived last week. I have yet to use it. I am planning it for take out at places where food won't travel well to be eaten at home, sort of a pandemic response to my serious desire to eat Vietnamese food again (and support a wonderful restaurant). Until recently it has just been too hot out to do this.

Pre-COVID, not often. Long road trips I might bring hard boiled eggs, seedless grapes, and possibly a banana. There have been a couple farmer's association meetings where I had to get up at the crack of dawn (since I didn't want to spend on an overnight hotel room) and so i brought along at least those eggs to tide me until lunch.

When I was building my house here, it was a two hour commute each way, so sometimes I had a pack of chips along, as well as coffee (in the morning) or water. I preferred to stop in the afternoon at a pizza place to pick up a couple of slices, but i always ate them there. Too messy in a car.

Edit: long road trips: over 5 hours... Dad for a while lived in Virginia while I resided in Connecticut. That was a 7.5 hour trip, one way. Really couldn't stop and eat lunch in a restaurant (and there was nothing worth eating in at along the way anyway) and be there in time for dinner they always expected me for. So, yes, I ate along the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom