Do you eat in the car?

Hey, no shagging in the drive-thru.

What about in a restaurant toilet? We were out early one night. A couple sat near us, ordered a meal then disappeared to the toilets. About 7 or 8 minutes another woman went Togo to the loo, couldn't get in, she went back to the bar and told them. As the waitress went to check the couple came out looking disheveled. And guilty.

We laughed about it.

Russ

What a brilliant Diet, they do say that active sex burns the same amount of calories a a three mile jog.

It doesn't. I know it doesn't.

Anyway - we are off topic again.

When we were kids my Dad had a motorbike and sidecar.
Only in our 10 year old commuting to the parking lot car and that would be non-messy foods like fries and chicken nuggets,

I'd count those as a bit messy as they are greasy and best with something to dip.

When we were kids my Dad got an old car from a bloke down the road for peanuts. It was a two tone maroon and black Austin and it was probably 25 years old when he got it. He always seemed to need to hand crank it to get the engine going. It looked a bit like this.

1598862676978.png

We used to go out in it for picnics sometimes and as it often ended up raining, we would eat the picnic in the car. I can't remember what food we ate (probably sandwiches), but I do remember the Thermos flasks of tea. That tea tasted fantastic and very different from tea in the house.

All I can see now are two people going at it like dogs, while one of them is paying close attention to their Fitbit. :laugh:

When I was a kid, we rarely ate out. A special treat was, once every few months, we'd all pile in the car and drive to the closest McD's, on the west side of Hamilton, which was about 30 minutes from our house.

My mom, my dad, and my sister would ride in the front, and us five boys would ride in the back. No seatbelts in those days.

We'd get to McD's, and my dad would park in the far corner of the lot, maybe under a tree, and he'd send Mom in with my sister to get the food, while we all sat in the car. We never got asked what we wanted, we just waited.

Soon, Mom and Sis would come back, carrying drink holders and sacks of food. Dad always got a Big Mac, because I remember thinking what a spectacular thing it looked like, compared to the puny regular hamburgers the rest of us got.

Anyway, Mom would hand my dad his food, she'd get a burger and little packet of fries out for my sister, and the same for herself, and set the drinks up on the dashboard. Cars back then had dashboards like kitchen tables.

Did us boys get that treatment? Hell no. At that point, we'd all be percolating in the back seat, wanting our food, and the best Mom could do was to just throw a couple of bags back and leave us to it.

Those cars also had big back windows, and I developed the strategy, being the youngest and smallest, of grabbing what food I could, climbing up into the back window, and fending off my brothers with kicks while I gorged on fries.

I think it's where I developed the habit (that I have to this day) of never drinking anything while I eat, because there was no way my mom was going to introduce sticky pops into that mess - we had to wait until we were done eating and relatively settled down before she'd hand us back our drinks.

I just found out you are correct, it's an urban myth. The researchers estimated that men burn roughly 4.2 calories per minute during sex, while women burn 3.1 calories. If an 8 oz bag of crisps is 1217 calories divided by 4.2 = ............ 😮at my age I would have to read the paper for the last 27 minutes

I just found out you are correct, it's an urban myth. The researchers estimated that men burn roughly 4.2 calories per minute during sex, while women burn 3.1 calories. If an 8 oz bag of crisps is 1217 calories divided by 4.2 = ............ 😮at my age I would have to read the paper for the last 27 minutes
The guy who came up with this myth...well, it wasn't a myth to him - but he included getting caught and running 2.75 miles from her angry husband.

I'm making a guess that, due to BB's penchant for double entendres, he's purposely conflating the British meaning of "shagging" with the (fun, but in a different way) American meaning of "shagging."

As caseydog likes to point out, there's another one of those "same word, different meaning" examples.

I will have to look up the meaning of "shagging", in the British sense.

Edit 1: Hmm, seems that was the definition I though it was.. so now I have to find out what the American definition is.

Edit 2:

"shagging (present participle)

1. chase or catch (fly balls) for practice.
    "you run down to the field and hit a few baseballs and shag a few fly balls"
Edit 3: Which sounds unpleasant if you try to combine both definitions. Those poor fly balls! (Which, however, leads us to a whole new word...)

Last edited:

I'd count those as a bit messy as they are greasy and best with something to dip.

When we were kids my Dad got an old car from a bloke down the road for peanuts. It was a two tone maroon and black Austin and it was probably 25 years old when he got it. He always seemed to need to hand crank it to get the engine going. It looked a bit like this.

View attachment 45743

We used to go out in it for picnics sometimes and as it often ended up raining, we would eat the picnic in the car. I can't remember what food we ate (probably sandwiches), but I do remember the Thermos flasks of tea. That tea tasted fantastic and very different from tea in the house.

That's a really neat car. Color and everything.

We'd go on picnics when I was a kid, usually at state parks in Connecticut, or New York, where I'd usually come home with a case of poison ivy. We'd usually have sandwiches and things like potato salad that Mom had made. There'd be picnic tables and grills available - we typically didn't avail ourselves of the grills because the parents wanted to enjoy the woods, too. They'd provide themselves with the makings for martinis or a bottle of wine, and I guess we kids got soda - which wasn't a thing often served at home. Maybe we got water.

There was the one time we were driving back from Maine, and pulled off the road to have a SPECIAL picnic treat. My mother or father provided us all with awesome lobster sandwiches. We set up at the picnic table, and I can't recall what else was on the table, but those lobsters had been proudly cooked by my parents the night before we left our rental cottage (getting lobster directly in Maine was quite inexpensive).

No sooner than we started to eat, a horde - or maybe three hordes - of yellowjackets descended, and zeroed in on the lobster sandwiches.

The family never ate in the car (other than shelled pistachios). This was the first and only time we as a family ever ended up eating a meal in the car!

PS I think we also had corn on the cob that day, each cob broken in half. Messy with the tepid butter we had already spread over our sections...

When I was a kid, we rarely ate out. A special treat was, once every few months, we'd all pile in the car and drive to the closest McD's, on the west side of Hamilton, which was about 30 minutes from our house.

My mom, my dad, and my sister would ride in the front, and us five boys would ride in the back. No seatbelts in those days.

We'd get to McD's, and my dad would park in the far corner of the lot, maybe under a tree, and he'd send Mom in with my sister to get the food, while we all sat in the car. We never got asked what we wanted, we just waited.

Soon, Mom and Sis would come back, carrying drink holders and sacks of food. Dad always got a Big Mac, because I remember thinking what a spectacular thing it looked like, compared to the puny regular hamburgers the rest of us got.

Anyway, Mom would hand my dad his food, she'd get a burger and little packet of fries out for my sister, and the same for herself, and set the drinks up on the dashboard. Cars back then had dashboards like kitchen tables.

Did us boys get that treatment? Hell no. At that point, we'd all be percolating in the back seat, wanting our food, and the best Mom could do was to just throw a couple of bags back and leave us to it.

When and where I was a kid, there were no take out establishments. Or if there were, I never heard about them.
My parents didn't try McD's until the 80s. Once. I wasn't with them, but they told me about it. They went in and ate in. They loathed it. I think they both got Big Macs since that's what everyone talked about.

I have to admit the McD burgers were nothing like the parental-made burgers. Maybe they didn't have "special sauce" but they were dang good - it was like two entirely different food items.

All you guys were spoilt. We didn't have a car until I was about 13 or so. No takeaways, well fish n chips every now and then. Grandparents would pick us up to go to theres for a meal. I was about 18 or 19 before went to a proper restaurant. Things have changed since them days. We have a Taco Bell coming to Chch soon.

Russ

Anyway - we are off topic again.

View attachment 45743

I learnt to drive in one of them, and an Austin 8 . My neighbour owned a few cars. His son and I were friends. He taught me. :)

Russ

I will have to look up the meaning of "shagging", in the British sense.

Edit 1: Hmm, seems that was the definition I though it was.. so now I have to find out what the American definition is.

Edit 2:

"shagging (present participle)

1. chase or catch (fly balls) for practice.
    "you run down to the field and hit a few baseballs and shag a few fly balls"
Edit 3: Which sounds unpleasant if you try to combine both definitions. Those poor fly balls! (Which, however, leads us to a whole new word...)
"Shagging" (in the American sense) also means to dance. That's the "other" definition I was referring to. 🕺🏻💃

All you guys were spoilt. We didn't have a car until I was about 13 or so. No takeaways, well fish n chips every now and then. Grandparents would pick us up to go to theres for a meal. I was about 18 or 19 before went to a proper restaurant. Things have changed since them days. We have a Taco Bell coming to Chch soon.

Russ
FYI: Taco Bell is horrible food, except maybe the bean tostadas and the bean burritos. Those are tolerable but not worth going out of your way. The ground beef has a mushy texture and looks and smells like dog food (to me). The chicken is waxy and rubbery.

FYI: Taco Bell is horrible food, except maybe the bean tostadas and the bean burritos. Those are tolerable but not worth going out of your way. The ground beef has a mushy texture and looks and smells like dog food (to me). The chicken is waxy and rubbery.

I'll give you my critique when it gets here. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom