Do you eat pumpkin skins?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:45 PM
I've always eaten my pumpkin skins with the pumpkin as well. I think I was told as a kid it was good for you.? Our son and my wife don't eat they leave on the plate. Our daughter is like me, she loves them as well. So 50/50 in our house.
Do you?

Russ

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:45 PM
I've always eaten my pumpkin skins with the pumpkin as well. I think I was told as a kid it was good for you.? Our son and my wife don't eat they leave on the plate. Our daughter is like me, she loves them as well. So 50/50 in our house.
Do you?

Russ
The only way pumpkin gets consumed in our house is in custard form - either as a pie in a crust or just as a baked custard in little ramekins, no crust, so the skin really never enters into it.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:45 AM
Usually - unless the skin is really thick and tough. Here is an all time favourite of mine: Recipe - Warm squash, red onion and brown lentil salad from Herbie which I made:

karadekoolaid

Local time
11:45 PM
I think it depends on the pumpkin/squash. Some of the skins are unbelievably tough; the first time I ate chayote, I had no idea what was edible and what wasn´t, so I ate the lot. Pumpkins over here are huge and the skin is very thick. Butternut squash, on the other hand, is edible.

Timenspace

Über Member
Local time
5:45 AM
Recently I had a part of the baked Hokkaido sq skin, and it was delicious! And rather thin.
Had no tummy issues whatsoever.
I would usually scoop out the flesh and leave the skin uneaten. I don't personally like the butternut sq skin.

It depends I guess,and is a preference.

Like peeling a fresh cucumber , I always peel it for salads, just because it otherwise gives me tummy issues. 🤷😊

Top Bottom