Do you ever make vegan meals?

Onion bhajees are they vegan?
Vege samosas??
Ghee is used with both

Nope. Ghee comes from butter, which is dairy -- from a cow.

If you pet a dog before eating a carrot with that same hand, your carrot is not vegan.

CD

If you pet a dog before eating a carrot with that same hand, your carrot is not vegan.
:laugh: :roflmao:

Not in this house. You'll be lucky if I've remembered to wash my hands after dealing with the chooks. Something as innocent as patting a dog really isn't a problem.

Just think of how few chips would be sold if you pointed out that cooked in vegetable oil and not coated with unnecessary ingredients, straightforward, normal chips are also vegan*. And the same with bread, rice and pasta and so on. The standard white sliced bread, peanut butter and jam sandwich is usually vegan as well (assuming no margarine/butter spread which is unnecessary with peanut butter).

I seriously don't get the aversion people have to seeing the word vegan (not aimed at you CD). Mind you, that'll just mean there is more for me. :laugh:

*assuming that they have a dedicated chip pan/friyer and not a "one thing does everything" approach.

:laugh: :roflmao:

A: Not in this house. You'll be lucky if I've remembered to wash my hands after dealing with the chooks. Something as innocent as patting a dog really isn't a problem.

B: *assuming that they have a dedicated chip pan/friyer and not a "one thing does everything" approach.

A: You have more of a sense of humor than some vegans.

B: So, if I fry chicken in the same oil that I fry my fries/chips in, are the fries/chips no longer vegan? That's the kind of rules that would keep me from going vegan. If I had to, I could go vegetarian (well, mostly), but I'd never make it as a vegan, because I would mess it all up on a daily basis. That, and you can pry my cheese from my cold, dead hands (Charlton Heston mod). :D

CD

I do sometimes produce vegan meals, but not deliberately.

We do now buy vegan brioche style burger buns, we got them the first time because they were all the shop had, but we found the flavour was good, and most importantly they held together as you ate the burger which others don't.

B: So, if I fry chicken in the same oil that I fry my fries/chips in, are the fries/chips no longer vegan?
No. That's a fundamental vegetarian thing, not just a vegan one... Virtually all vegetarians would not be happy with that either. And as a vegetarian kid growing up, I wouldn't have eaten them if they were fried in the same oil as meat/fish and neither would most that I knew. They would also not be kosher or halal unless said meat was as well, so it's not just a veggie/vegan thing.
That's the kind of rules that would keep me from going vegan. If I had to, I could go vegetarian (well, mostly),
It sounds like you'd not survive as a vegetarian either. The same "rules" apply. Your food doesn't touch meat, so no removing the meat lumps/pieces from the break and claiming it's vegetarian, no chicken stock in an otherwise vegetable soup, no rennet used to make cheese, no crushed beetles to make a food dye, they are all vegetarian issues, not just vegan ones.

That, and you can pry my cheese from my cold, dead hands

I used to eat a lot of cheese and only drink milk. Literally, no squash, no pop, no fruit juice, no tea, just milk (full cream and raw when it was legal). I lived on cheese (it dealt with a medical issue of mine without the need for doctors and medicine,) and when everyone around me was drinking alcohol or cans of pop, I'd have a point of milk. You know the rest of the story... medical issues forced me vegan, and ethical and moral keep me from eggs other than my own chooks, and honey, well the poor bees have enough issues, plus I only ever liked a product called cappings which was sold in my local farm shop. It was the bit of the honey comb that gets cut off, asking with the honey it stored. Honey mixed with the wax wasn't too sweet for me and if I could get that still, I would eat honey more frequently. Right now, I only have it in a hot toddy when I'm ill.

It sounds like you'd not survive as a vegetarian either. The same "rules" apply. Your food doesn't touch meat, so no removing the meat lumps/pieces from the break and claiming it's vegetarian, no chicken stock in an otherwise vegetable soup, no rennet used to make cheese, no crushed beetles to make a food dye, they are all vegetarian issues, not just vegan ones.
I have to disagree there. I was vegetarian for years, in thaat I didn't eat chunks of meat, poultry or fish. If I'd fretted about my veg touching a cutting board used for fish or chicken, or worried about whether the oil had been used to fry bacon, I'd have starved to death. My vegetarianism was a question of taste, not philosophy. I didn't like meat, period. And my mum, exceedingly squeamish to the nth degree, would never have baked another sponge with pink icing if she'd known cochineal came from little red beetles . Ignorance is bliss!

I have to disagree there. I was vegetarian for years, in thaat I didn't eat chunks of meat, poultry or fish. If I'd fretted about my veg touching a cutting board used for fish or chicken, or worried about whether the oil had been used to fry bacon, I'd have starved to death. My vegetarianism was a question of taste, not philosophy. I didn't like meat, period. And my mum, exceedingly squeamish to the nth degree, would never have baked another sponge with pink icing if she'd known cochineal came from little red beetles . Ignorance is bliss!
You're fine to disagree.

I've been vegetarian since '84. And there's no way I'd eat roasted potatoes cooked alongside the beef/chicken or made with dripping which frankly in my view is the same as cooking chips (or anything else) in oil used to cook meat. I turned veggie at 11 years old and yes, I had to cook for myself but in the house I grew up in, that was nothing new. My parents were not home until 8-9pm at night for most of my primary school life after my mother remarried. No-one knew what time we got home from school, when we ate or what we ate. No-one cared either. That point was proved when I was locked out of the house when the school moved to packed lunches only for a period when the dinner ladies were on strike. I couldn't get into the house, so went back to the school for them to ring my parents. They didn't come home until the usual after 8pm despite the fact being locked out at lunch meant I was also locked out after school. My (now ex)step-father had put the key into the back door on the inside and therefore my key would not go into the lock and no way was I breaking a window to get in. That was not worth the trouble it would get me into.

So I'd been cooking for myself since my primary school years. And yes, there was a lot of breakfast cereal at first. And honestly, I wasn't happy with jacket potatoes being cooked at the same time in the oven as a roast chicken. They'd taste of it and I didn't like that one bit. I'm not a vegetarian who has ever "missed" bacon or longed for it one bit. I'm also not one who'll eat meat if they're is nothing available on the menu. I'll walk out and find something I can eat elsewhere and have done that as recently as my last visit to the UK for my FILs 80th birthday. What was offered to me by that Blackpool hotel was appalling, so I went to sainsburys and bought several microwaveable meals and had them serve those instead for the remaining time I was there. (There were 4 of us eating those meals by day 2.)

I also know that growing up, they're was a massive difference between vegetarian in the UK and vegetarian in America which often seemed to include chicken or other white meat in its definition. :o_o:

Personally, I'd go hungry and did, so learnt to cook.

No. That's a fundamental vegetarian thing, not just a vegan one... Virtually all vegetarians would not be happy with that either. And as a vegetarian kid growing up, I wouldn't have eaten them if they were fried in the same oil as meat/fish and neither would most that I knew. They would also not be kosher or halal unless said meat was as well, so it's not just a veggie/vegan thing.

Kosher and halal are religious dietary rules, which mean nothing to me. Anyone who takes vegetarianism to those extremes are practicing a kind of religion, too. I have no patience for that kind of thinking.

If I had no choice but to cut meat from my diet, then there wouldn't be any meat in my kitchen, so no worries about using oil to fry chicken and veggies. There are vegetable stocks that work in place of chicken stock.

All this, of course would be based on HAVING to give up meat and its byproducts for medical reasons. I'm not going vegetarian unless it becomes medically necessary. If that were to happen, I'd set my own rules based on advice from medical professionals, not vegetarian gurus.

Right now, I am focused on eating lots of good vegetables that are fresh here in June, and into the summer. I want to eat them because they taste good, and I can only get them at peak freshness at this time of year.

CD

I was a vegetarian for a few years and never bought into the ultra strict idea of cross contamination from animal products being wrong because the idea for me was the reduced demand for meat (ie you not eating it) would reduce production so less animals would be slaughtered.

My vegetarian food touching something animal based didn't affect the demand for animal products so it didn't bother me. Explaining this philosophy to people who would for example gleefully tell me their mum used an oxo cube in something seemed to really annoy them 👍

But then after a prolonged period of vegetarianism the flavour from meat was really very odd, tasted weird so I preferred it kept separately anyway 😆

I've found the same with cows milk. I drink mostly oat milk and sometimes soya so on the odd occasion I have dairy milk now it tastes off!

Can't say the same about double cream though yum yum 😋

I've been vegetarian since '84.
Your story sounds really sad and I sympathise.
I was vegetarian during the 60s and 70s, which made things a little more difficult. I asked for vegetarian meals in college hall at university, and one of their favourite creations was a plateful of chips and two boiled eggs covered with marmite gravy... Just like caseydog , I could never submit to a meticulous regime where I'd have to check every step of the food processing, but I have great admiration for those who do. There's an Aussie spinner called Adam Zampa who's a Vegan, and I wonder how on earth he manages to keep fit, well/nourished and full of energy when he's on international duties. Takes great discipline and presence of mind.

There's an Aussie spinner called Adam Zampa who's a Vegan, and I wonder how on earth he manages to keep fit, well/nourished and full of energy when he's on international duties. Takes great discipline and presence of mind.
There are loads of athletes now at international level competition who follow vegan diets and lifestyles quite successfully.

When we were cycling around the world, we stayed vegan plus the occasional eggs (once a week if that). We were eating the 8, 000-10,000 calories at day to stay cycling all day every day and it was surprisingly easy to stay fit and healthy. Only once did either of us get ill, when I went down with a cold and my asthma was playing up massively. I was back on the road after 3 days. That is unheard of for me in normal everyday life. I didn't need the steroids I normally need. I didn't go down with the usual chest infection and need antibiotics, like I normally need.

To be honest, I found it easier to be a fit and healthy vegan whilst on the road, cycling 80km a day (max 150km a day) than living at home and having to stick to 1,500-2,000 calories a day. Yeah, the diet wasn't as varied, but we were both healthier, fitter and didn't need to worry about eating extra calories on the odd day off.

Back
Top Bottom