Do you ever put herbs in sandwiches?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:50 PM
I was thinking today that I don't think I've ever put herbs in a sandwich. But why? I put lettuce leaves, raw spinach leaves, micro greens etc in sandwiches, so why no herbs. I was particularly thinking of coriander leaves as I happen to have some to use up - it was then I realised I'd never put coriander in a sandwich.

Do you ever put herbs in sandwiches?

I often put fresh basil leaves especially in sandwiches with cured meat or with the classic tomato and mozzarella combination. Sometimes I also add a couple of sage leaves (small though, because sage has a rather strong taste) in sandwiches where there is some aged cheese or a leftover cutlet.

Sometimes I like to add a little bit of thyme as well, fresh or dry, in the simplest sandwiches where there is some spreadable cheese.

Recently I tried the combination of creamy goat's cheese, chopped hazelnuts, fresh thyme and a drizzle of honey. A goodness!

Last edited:
Usually no, but one thing I will do is add seasoning, usually just salt and pepper, especially if there's any lettuce on there. Really wakes things up.

S & P is a must. But why do you think you don't use herbs?
Probably because I rarely make a sandwich from a recipe, and especially if it's not from a recipe, I see a sandwich as a very, very quick-prep meal: some bread, some jarred condiment, a piece of cheese, and a bit of meat, for example. The whole thing is ready to eat in less than five minutes.

Adding herbs (since I don't prep them ahead of time like I should) would mean, at the very least, giving them a quick rinse and a pat dry, and whatever else is needed. For basil, that's nothing, because that's all the prep that's needed, but for thyme (which is probably my favorite herb), it's a lot more labor-intensive, pulling all those little leaves off.

It's one of those sick jokes that Nature has played on me - my favorite herb is the one that I hate the most to prepare.

Now, I will add something that just occurred to me: I'm assuming (my mistake) that you meant fresh herbs. I will definitely add dried herbs to a particular sandwich, just because it's no more difficult than salt and pepper. When I have a salami sandwich, for example, I'll usually splash a bit of olive oil on one piece of bread and shake some all-purpose Italian seasoning over it.

It's one of those sick jokes that Nature has played on me - my favorite herb is the one that I hate the most to prepare.

I just hold the stalks upside-down and run finger & thumb along the stalk to strip off the leaves. If adding to a stew type dish I put the sprigs in whole.

Now, I will add something that just occurred to me: I'm assuming (my mistake) that you meant fresh herbs. I will definitely add dried herbs to a particular sandwich, just because it's no more difficult than salt and pepper. When I have a salami sandwich, for example, I'll usually splash a bit of olive oil on one piece of bread and shake some all-purpose Italian seasoning over it.

Yes I meant fresh - but I can see a place for dried herbs in sandwiches.

I just hold the stalks upside-down and run finger & thumb along the stalk to strip off the leaves. If adding to a stew type dish I put the sprigs in whole.
I do the same with soups, usually, but the strippy thing, that doesn't work for me, due to my nutty nature. If there are some leaves left behind, I have to look at them all and pick off the ones that are ok, and if there are any little stems (even the tender ones), I have to remove those from the leaves. Otherwise, I start obsessing about the whole thing.

Whenever I see a recipe that says "1 tsp fresh thyme, minced," I wince and add 30 minutes to the prep time, because that's how long it's going to take me to pull each little leaf off.

There has to be an easier way to get every little leaf off. I can't think what though!
Well, if I were a good boy, I'd rinse and dry herbs as soon as I get home with them, then they'd be easier to handle. Half the issue is handling damp herbs with damp hands...those little leaves stick to everything.

They sell little herb strippers, but they don't work very well. They leave a lot behind and also pull off the brown wrinkly ones along with the nice green ones.

Back
Top Bottom