Do you have weird dreams?

I too get very lucid dreams, and often remember them. Occasionally I'll get scary dreams, nightmares that are a reminder of my past or certain people will creep into my dream somehow (the precursor to the nightmares) and the only thing I can do to stop them reoccurring that night is to get up and have a drink if water, read, knit, anything other than sleep for half an hour to an hour or so, then try sleeping again. I can't just roll over and realise I'm awake then go back to sleep, otherwise they'll just happen again that night. I have to break the sleep cycle somehow.

I also get the toilet dreams, but it extends further. Anything to do with water, from swimming, to standing in the rain, to ordering a glass of water etc. They all have that theme and over the years, I've had to train myself to recognise the clues to know when to get up.

I get the flying dreams, but if they turn into falling I'll wake with a start. However, that actually assumes I can get to sleep long enough to dream which is getting harder and harder now with my back pain.

Can't recall all the details of last night's dream, but I do wonder... do any of you ever dream in the third person? As in, the dream isn't about YOU, but you are dreaming from the perspective of someone other than yourself? That's what last night's dream seemed to be doing.

I don't do those very often. But they happen. They're never from the perspective of someone I actually know - an anonymous source.

We've been talking about giant turkeys, and I dreamed I went to Walmart (of all places) and all their turkeys had been bagged up, except for one, and when I looked at the tag, it was 47-lbs.

Can't recall all the details of last night's dream, but I do wonder... do any of you ever dream in the third person? As in, the dream isn't about YOU, but you are dreaming from the perspective of someone other than yourself?

Can't say I ever did that. Does it mean you don't feel emotion in the same way?

In those third person dreams, correct, I don't feel emotion in the same way in them. I'm not quite as vested into whatever is going on in the "plot" of the dream.

Fascinating. I've done lucid dreaming which is when you become aware you are dreaming and can control what happens. The important factor here is that you can control the dream. Most people have dreams where they become aware its a dream but if you can take this a stage further to direct what happens, its amazing. There are techniques you can learn to do it. It was some of the best fun I ever had - just imagine: you do what you like, knowing its a dream and you can't hurt anyone in real life...

I managed to do it again (briefly) a few months back but I'm out of practice.

Fascinating. I've done lucid dreaming which is when you become aware you are dreaming and can control what happens. The important factor here is that you can control the dream. Most people have dreams where they become aware its a dream but if you can take this a stage further to direct what happens, its amazing. There are techniques you can learn to do it. It was some of the best fun I ever had - just imagine: you do what you like, knowing its a dream and you can't hurt anyone in real life...

My brother tells me he can do that.

This is something I'd really like to do, or attempt to do. I do have dreams (not all of them) where I am aware it is a dream, so I suppose I should work on that Next Step!

Thanks for reminding me of this potentiality!!!

Yes I do, but although they strike me as odd at the time I seem to forget them very quickly. Which is odd, because I know I've had weird and wonderful dreams which should stick in the mind but they don't.

About 20 or so years back I had a short period on anti-depressants. The dreams I had when coming down off of them were really wonderful and vivid. I distinctly remember changing into a turtle at one point, watching your hands slowly changing into flippers was quite disconcerting!

One dream that I do have regularly is that I can fly. Not Superman whizzing across the sky flying though. Often in my dream I'm back outside my old childhood home and I find that by running and then jumping I can drag my feet for quite some yards before coming to a halt. I gradually improve my technique until I am able to lift myself off the ground for a minute or two, getting a little higher each time.

One dream that I do have regularly is that I can fly. Not Superman whizzing across the sky flying though. Often in my dream I'm back outside my old childhood home and I find that by running and then jumping I can drag my feet for quite some yards before coming to a halt. I gradually improve my technique until I am able to lift myself off the ground for a minute or two, getting a little higher each time.

Yes, that's the sort of flying I do in the dreams I can "fly" in. Although the location I'm in during the dream will vary. These ones feel intensely real.

Yes, that's the sort of flying I do in the dreams I can "fly" in. Although the location I'm in during the dream will vary. These ones feel intensely real.

Yes, mine are also very realistic. I think that and because I have them so often is why I recall them.

I had no idea that not everybody could have lucid dreams. I've always been able to. It can be quite disconcerting at times not being able to tell three difference between walking around your own home/garden (remember I've always lived in places with larger gardens up to and including 999 acres (I'm not kidding) including mountains, tarns and streams) right up until you notice that there is no smell/fragrance only the knowledge of the fact it smelled good/bad etc or you walk through something and there's no pain again only the knowledge that it should have or did hurt. Or you have just walked into a room that isn't there etc.

I still get them if I can get enough sleep. Monday's are the most likely day now because that's my quiet day after a busy weekend. Swimming on Sunday's usually exhausts me, so Monday morning is spent catching up if my pain allows it.

Back
Top Bottom