Do you have weird dreams?

I had no idea that not everybody could have lucid dreams. I've always been able to. It can be quite disconcerting at times not being able to tell three difference between walking around your own home/garden (remember I've always lived in places with larger gardens up to and including 999 acres (I'm not kidding) including mountains, tarns and streams) right up until you notice that there is no smell/fragrance only the knowledge of the fact it smelled good/bad etc or you walk through something and there's no pain again only the knowledge that it should have or did hurt. Or you have just walked into a room that isn't there etc.

Lucid dreaming takes things a stage further. Its not simply becoming aware that you are dreaming. That does happen to everyone I think, sometimes. Lucid dreaming is being able to control what happens in the dream whilst being aware that its a dream. So, for example, you can decide you want to conjure up a person to talk to (or do other things with! :D ) and they will appear.

Lucid dreaming takes things a stage further. Its not simply becoming aware that you are dreaming. That does happen to everyone I think, sometimes. Lucid dreaming is being able to control what happens in the dream whilst being aware that its a dream. So, for example, you can decide you want to conjure up a person to talk to (or do other things with! :D ) and they will appear.

I have sort of done this. But not consistently and I find it doesn't 'take'. Shortly after changing the dream in some way I find the random dream comes back.

I have sort of done this. But not consistently and I find it doesn't 'take'. Shortly after changing the dream in some way I find the random dream comes back.

There are techniques you can use to sustain it. Spinning like top on the spot (in the dream, not in reality!) is one. It stops the dream lapsing back.

I am well aware of that. And that is exactly what I was referring to. I can and do control these dreams.

Fascinating. I've done lucid dreaming which is when you become aware you are dreaming and can control what happens. The important factor here is that you can control the dream. Most people have dreams where they become aware its a dream but if you can take this a stage further to direct what happens, its amazing. There are techniques you can learn to do it. It was some of the best fun I ever had - just imagine: you do what you like, knowing its a dream and you can't hurt anyone in real life...

I managed to do it again (briefly) a few months back but I'm out of practice.

I can do that to a limited extent. Most people have had the dream where they suddenly find they are underdressed, or undressed, in a public space. Most commonly at your workplace (it is supposed to mean you are worried about not being prepared for work you need to do -- whatever). Anyway, I can realize I am in a dream, and make myself fully clothed.

CD

Yes, that's the sort of flying I do in the dreams I can "fly" in. Although the location I'm in during the dream will vary. These ones feel intensely real.

I actually had a dream where I could fly early this morning -- around 5AM. I actually took off from a runway at DFW Airport, with my arms strait out like wings. I flew around quite a distance, then landed on my feet. I only remember the dream because I sat in bed and thought about it when I woke up. I usually forget my dreams after I fall asleep again.

CD

About 20 or so years back I had a short period on anti-depressants. The dreams I had when coming down off of them were really wonderful and vivid. I distinctly remember changing into a turtle at one point, watching your hands slowly changing into flippers was quite disconcerting!

You were probably on an SSRI medication. Even skipping a day will give you very vivid dreams the next night.

CD

I always kept this to myself but when I drink Budweiser Beer I get wild dreams that night.
Never said it to anyone until I heard someone else mention it.
Budweiser is the sweet dreams beer.

I hate going to sleep then giving myself a fright, to wake up again, I hate that!!

Russ

When you lay your melon down on the pillow:
“Think of a wonderful thought,,, any happy little thought” - Sir James Barrie. Peter Pan.

Last night, I dreamed I was walking around the yard with my dog (something I do several times a day when I'm awake), and there was a little black ferret-looking thing, only I turned around and turned back and it wasn't a ferret, it was a skunk, and the skunk had their butt right up on top of my dog's head and let go the spray, even getting my feet wet.

So I yelled at the wife to NOT let the dog in the house, and then...POOF!...we're all in the house, including the stinky dog, I'm trying to get in the shower, but MrsTasty keeps insisting that I look at the cable TV hookup in the spare room, because we're going to lock the stinky dog in there until she's no longer stinky, and the wife wants her to be able to watch TV.

Then I was talking to our (platonically) little cutie pharmacy tech and telling her not to get her teeth "fixed" because everybody gets their teeth straightened nowadays, and her little chipmunk-like front teeth were actually quite charming and made her stand out from all the boring perfect teeth in the world.

A couple themes - an ability not so much as to fly, but to be able to hover and land safely from some sort of height. This appears often.
Like Arthur Dent from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. :wink:

Last night's dream was that I was a kid and climbed in bed with my parents and my dad tried to smother me with a pillow! :(:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom