Do you like Manwich?

I agree it doesn't look too good [actually looks like one of the runnier kinds of dog food]. Not something we have here in the UK. Must admit I too was expecting something like the huge 'breakfast in a bun' things we sometimes see over here [very nice too].

I enjoyed them as a kid, but as an adult, I only eat them once in a while. My mom, however, has suddenly taken a liking to them in recent years for some reason. They are tricky to eat, but the one thing I would always do is turn them upside down, so the crown of the bun was on the bottom. That lets the juices flow into the thicker part of the bun so the sandwich doesn't get too soggy.

Strangely, I prefer the canned variety of sauce over making it from scratch. It is a bit sweet, but every time I've tried to make the sauce from scratch, something always seems to taste "off" about it. Either the peppers will taste overly bitter relative to the sauce, or there might be too much of a given spice, or it just tastes like doctored up ketchup.

I think one of the reasons my mom, and perhaps other parents, enjoyed making these for their kids, was that it was also an easy way to stretch a pack of ground beef. Though you could more than likely make these with vegetable crumbles in place of the beef. It's really just meat in a tomato based sweet & sour sauce.

Yeah, I'd guess that the original purpose of such items was to help stretch the meat a bit. They are also meant to be quick and easy. Convenience food. I still prefer to make my own, and they are just as quick and easy. I just open two bottles instead of one can. :)

Okay, so today I cooked up some Manwich for my hubby (as per his request), and joined him in eating one of these. After a couple of bites I could not stomach this any longer, it was too sweet and not quite flavorful at all. I felt like I was eating some amateur cooking.

My husband really enjoys these, I think it brings him back to some part of his child hood, but I can not even think about purchasing Manwich once again.

Does anyone have a better DIY recipe? Or any suggestions on how to make this tastier?
Woops ! What is a Manish. ? I heard it for the first time. Could anyone help me out with this.

Woops ! What is a Manish. ? I heard it for the first time. Could anyone help me out with this.

It's a canned sauce for making Sloppy Joe sandwiches. Sloppy Joe is just browned, loose, ground beef with sauce. Instead of making your own sauce, you can pick up a can of Manwich at the supermarket and mix it with your meat. Some people enjoy it. Others prefer homemade sauce.

Yes, we've had Manwich before, it's fine but it's not homemade. Like others have said it seems the sauce in the can is a little too sweet. I remember going to the grocery store, our cart was full and we proceeded to checkout, among the things we had was a can of Manwich. Our cashier would literally comment on every single item as it passed her hands, it was getting annoying. When she got hold of the Manwich she loudly exclaimed "Ewwww! People actually eat this? That looks disgusting" My husband looked like he was about to strangle her. I simply said "You do realize we're right here and we're the ones buying it right? I'd rather you keep scanning so we can pay and leave" She didn't say a word after that. I can take it or leave it but some people do like it and even if some people don't, I don't judge because I'm sure there are things I enjoy that other people don't.

I like sloppy joe's with bbq sauce. We do not use Manwich sauce because the kids do not like it.

Funny I should see this today. While in Walmart a week or so ago when I was traveling, I am fanatically looking for some bacon bites and there in front of me were these cans of Manwich something. Naturally I was reminded of the forum but I quickly passed them by. No manwich and no bacon bites in the end.

Ah this brings me back to university cafeteria days. Sloppy joes on soft hamburger buns. It's still something I avoid to this day. I usually enjoyed this as a child with cheese on it too. Now, I get scared remembering the nightmare we had to eat in college.

Back
Top Bottom