Do you like mushy peas?

I adore them - especially with lots of nutmeg and a splash of vinegar. Funny thing is that I'm not that keen on fresh/frozen peas.
The usual peas around here are sold as "English peas" or "garden peas," and they're tiny, and they're not much good for mushy peas - you get a lot of husk:pea innards.

That's why, when I'm at the international market, I make sure to get some big marrowfat peas, specifically for making mushy peas.

murphyscreek's recent video has me wanting chicken parm, and I've got a plump chicken breast in the freezer...and now I want mushy peas, and I've got some marrowfat peas...chicken parm and mushy peas? Will that work? :)

I adore them - especially with lots of nutmeg and a splash of vinegar.
For me it has to be mint sauce (made with lots of malt vinegar)
Reminds me of going to Goose Fair as a child and getting little polystyrene cups of mushy peas....there was always a big vat of mint sauce on the side for you to add your peas.

The usual peas around here are sold as "English peas" or "garden peas," and they're tiny, and they're not much good for mushy peas - you get a lot of husk:pea innards.

That's why, when I'm at the international market, I make sure to get some big marrowfat peas, specifically for making mushy peas.
Yes proper mushy peas have to be made with dried and soaked marrowfat peas :okay:

I also remember as a child we used to get tins of "processed peas" which were also marrowfats and were definitely mushy, but were nothing like mushy peas (I seem to remember they were a wierd lurid green colour too).

Farrows_Marrowfat_538__99987_zoom_64it-9h.jpg

I do sometimes do "posh mushy peas" with garden peas/petit pois....but you have to add plenty of butter and creme fraiche otherwise they're too dry. Chopped fresh mint is also a nice addition.

I've watched a lot of videos of this fellow:

View: https://youtu.be/_9cswxxj_fM

It comes through a little in this video, but in others even more so (especially his videos about pies): he's got a lot of strong opinions regarding cooking/food, and he can be quite entertaining when he gets going.

I will say, I've made several dishes following his videos, and they're almost always very good.

Back
Top Bottom