Do you like mushy peas?

Or maybe of being a baby, as I like puréed carrots, applesauce, mushy peas...things that I've been told are all "baby food." :laugh:

There are many things that I remember from my childhood, even pre-school, but what I was fed at that early age was not one of them.

However, unless I check on the thread herein, I'm buggered if I can remember what I ate yesterday!

We seldom serve just plain mushy peas over here. Finns live over the winter with mashed pea soup flavored with smoked ham. Pea soup is mostly sold tinned and reduced
hesari.JPG
*. Some people think it's only usable as dog food; sliced straight from the tin. I happen to like the dish. It is usually served with a pinch of strong mustard and pancake and jam for dessert.

Pea soup is a must on Shrove Tuesday (Feb). In the good old days when there was plenty of snow (nowadays it may take up to Jan/Feb to get an inch of permanent snow in the south) families used to go skiing or sledding and warm themselves up with pea soup.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
hernekeitto.JPG

Credits
*Credits: Helsingin Sanomat/HS

We seldom serve just plain mushy peas over here. Finns live over the winter with mashed pea soup flavored with smoked ham. Pea soup is mostly sold tinned and reduced View attachment 47372*. Some people think it's only usable as dog food; sliced straight from the tin. I happen to like the dish. It is usually served with a pinch of strong mustard and pancake and jam for dessert.

Pea soup is a must on Shrove Tuesday (Feb). In the good old days when there was plenty of snow (nowadays it may take up to Jan/Feb to get an inch of permanent snow in the south) families used to go skiing or sledding and warm themselves up with pea soup.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
View attachment 47371
Credits
*Credits: Helsingin Sanomat/HS

Looks the same as our traditional Dutch winter soup, which is also a pea soup. It's served with bacon and smoked sausage.

Not my pic. I loathe the stuff like I do mushy peas..

Fancy a Bowl of Snert? Try This Easy Dutch Split Pea Soup Recipe

I love the traditional 24 hour soak with bicarbonate peas.
My method, following soak and rinse, is to slowly simmer on a very low light with a Knorr vegetable stock cube added to the water.
Batchelors Bigga Dried Peas - 6 x 250gm : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

I have previously considered employing the slow cooker but mine is not big enough. That and why change a tried and tested method. I don't use stock but simmer for between 1 and 1½ hours or until I'm happy with them. I only add salt at the end and I have to get my wife to subsequently taste them as I have a high salt tolerance and it would be easy to "go over the top".

Back
Top Bottom